Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Malaysian Flight 370

You make a good point as the aircraft could have gone to Africa too.

As I replied to tf51d in post #884, the reason Africa was excluded was that Inmarsat's Atlantic satellite covering East Africa and the westen Indian Ocean did not pick up MH370 pings, which it would have done if in range of that satellite.

Problem would have been solved if both their Indian and Atlantic satellites had picked up signals, as that would have enabled a triangulation and provided an exact fix.

Here is a link to a diagram showing the coverage of Inmarsat satellites

http://satcomsolution.com/land-military-government/image/inmarsat-coverage.gif

This diagram does reveal another interesting problem though! Why did their Pacific Ocean Satellite (POR) not detect the pings! It does cover the southern corridor. So maybe your theory of Africa is still IN.

Robin Harris

This diagram does reveal another interesting problem though! Why did their Pacific Ocean Satellite (POR) not detect the pings! It does cover the southern corridor. So maybe your theory of Africa is still IN.

If that's true, and this search is a red herring, then I still have to go with the airfield on Socotra Island off Yemen . As I stated above it has a 10000ft runway the airfield as well as the island looks relatively deserted looking at Google Earth, I can't find any sign of life near the airfield.. It would have arrived about 00:20z coinciding with the last pings. Would have landed at night (03:20AM Local time) making it easier for them to hide it in a hangar. This would be the worst possible scenario, because that would mean, this may not be over yet. I was starting to breath a sigh of relieve with your post about the overlapping satellite, but as you state the Pacific satellite didn't pick it up as well, which should have. Is it possible these are only fallback addresses, so if the plane was already connected to the Indian Ocean Satellite, It never tried to connect to the Atlantic or the Pacific Sats?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

It's sad to think that the world's oceans could be full of human garbage. We are a very careless species when it comes to waste disposal, and I hate the thought that we are polluting this beautiful planet with our rubbish :(

Chris, it is a sad statement of fact that we are the only species on the planet that soils its own nest. As a former oceanography type, I could tell you stories that would make your neck hair stand on end.

• Upvote 2

Is it possible these are only fallback addresses, so if the plane was already connected to the Indian Ocean Satellite, It never tried to connect to the Atlantic or the Pacific Sats?

That may be how it works, I have been doing some research on these sats, and they are all on the same frequency and all still active (launched 1996 with a 13 year design life so streching it now). Maybe only the nearest satellite locks onto the mobile station ping (aircraft); in his case it would be the Indian Ocean one. The end of the Southern cooridor is pretty equidistant from both the IOR and POR though, at the limit of both sats ranges. Would have to ask Inmarsat directly (an intelligent journalist challenge!).

Speaking of intelligent journalists, I see the guys at the telegraph have picked up on something that was baffling me as well. The anouncement today said that the new search area was defined on the basis that the plane flew faster and used more fuel. Yet the graphic supplied by AMSA shows the new route to be at a speed of 400 knots (in the legend), the slowest of all the paths used so far. People are now wondering if this is a misprint, or are they referring to higher speeds only in the initial parts of the flight until the last known radar point. But that begs the question how they would know it then slowed to 400 knots for the rest of the flight?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02865/Malaysia-searched_2865388c.jpg

all getting more contradictory. One would think that with the criticism they are already getting the Malaysian "Authorites" would be extra careful.

Chris, it is a sad statement of fact that we are the only species on the planet that soils its own nest. As a former oceanography type, I could tell you stories that would make your neck hair stand on end.

Yup I find I have to travel further and further the older I get to have a swim in the sea, without feeling like I  am up to my neck in a cesspool. Those idyllic holiday pics of tropical paradise in Thailand - don't believe a bit of it!

Robin Harris

Yet the graphic supplied by AMSA shows the new route to be at a speed of 400 knots (in the legend), the slowest of all the paths used so far.

Well 400GS would be in line with the hypoxia theory, where the fastest it would travel at the lower altitude like 12000ft purported would be 325-330kts IAS or about 390TAS. On my test flight I did the the other day at 12000ft 325t IAS. The furthest I got down  by reaching the time of the last ping, was directly West of Exmouth AU, which is still North of the  current search area by a few hundred miles. (Did flight by departing WMKK at 00:42z flying to IGARI arriving at 01:20z turning  and descending to VAMPI, then turning 185 at 325kts IAS  the rest of the way.  

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://satcomsolution.com/land-military-government/image/inmarsat-coverage.gif

Early on I couldn't understand why after reaching the Strait of Malacca MH370 flew North-West at 1:34hrs ATO of the flight. Why crossing Malaysia/Thailand and not try to land in the East coast? There are two civilian airports and one military one there and a lot closer than Kuala Lumpur. And then once in the West coast why not turn South-East instead of North-West away from Kuala Lumpur?

So when I saw the link above, it hit me. It avoided Indonesia radar or anything else from them. Then afterwards and not too far away it just turned South being just under one Satellite (Tel:873) and avoiding (Tel:872) for any possible triangulation in a safe corridor.

It sure would point to premeditation, knowledge and intend. But just because it fits nicely doesn't mean it was so.

Cheers,

At this point in time I think they wanted just to confirm that MH370 is resting somewhere in the India Ocean by finding its debris. But it took too long to take the leadership. Now it is all about mathematics, statistics and heck of a lot guessing + luck. They have the last communication with the satellite at 8:30am or so. If true it will give them a big lead. The Ocean will give up something in due time somewhere probably in an Australian beach. Maybe Antarctica.

Not an enviable task that's for sure.

Cheers,

Here's a thought -

This thread is slowing down, just like the search for the aircraft.  I still think North, not South.

The money allocated will start to run dry soon. The USA has committed $ 4mill and have around $1.5mill left 

RAAF  at a guess would allocate a bit more no doubt written off in their training fund.

The search will slow for sure in the next few weeks and I imagine Malaysia and Boeing will end up funding long term searches

ZORAN

Then afterwards and not too far away it just turned South being just under one Satellite (Tel:873) and avoiding (Tel:872) for any possible triangulation in a safe corridor.

A very neat bit of observation there. A worrying coincidence that the turn point to the south would tie up so well with the Pacific satellite's far western boundary. Scary to contemplate as you say, in terms of what it could mean for the whole tragedy being well-planned ahead.

Maybe there goes my support for the pilots "not being involved" theory. Pax have all (apparently) been security cleared. Only thing left is pilot involvment .... or else someone on board not on the pax list (stowaway). One in the avionics compartment with avionics engineering experience could do a lot of damage (and have an escape hatch).

Robin Harris

I still think North, not South.

You aren't the only one.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1) The line-of-sight propagation of VHF/UHF signals came into my mind this morning.

Being at FL350 over IGARI and making a rapid descend (decompression) to FL120 would decrease (civil) radar and communication range from approx. 200 NM to 120 NM.

This would explain why a preceding MH A/C (30 minutes ahead on the same route, used by HoChiMinh Radar as a relay station) was able to (re-) establish contact with MH370 (air-to-air). The crew of this MH A/C confirmed a contact with MH370 on the emergency frequency 121.5. But only a "mumbling" could be heard. As reported by this relay station crew, they heard the voices of the Captain and F/O of MH370, which the knew personally.

So the crew of MH370 heard the call on 121.5 (audio panel), switched over the comms (talk) but forgot to switch over from the headset to the mask mics.

From this ponit it is very likely that they took an emergency landing into consideration at Langkawi, Butterworth AB or Phuket. The A/C's vertical control was too poor and so they decided to drop the "oscillating" plane intentionally above the open sea.

2) I thought of the story (quote) "Eyewitnesses from the Kuda Huvadhoo concurred that the aeroplane was travelling North to South-East, towards the Southern tip of the Maldives – Addu. They also noted the incredibly loud noise that the flight made when it flew over the island."

This incredibly loud noise could have been caused by the RAT (ram air turbine) which was deployed automatically at that time. If MH370 really was 50NM south of Male at that time it could be probably found in that region.

3) Having read the history of this thread and the many links for almost 3 hours now, I came to the conclusion that combining my points 1) and 2) one conclusion could also be possible:

MH370 was flown intentionally below Male's radar surveillance altitude, which would be below 2000ft when 50NM south of Male (Kuda Huvadhoo) to later on continue inbound Africa...

1-The sighting of the aircraft by people in the Maldives was reported .
Surely this was checked , do not know who checked , anyone know the result of this fact , as it was the official response ?
2 - Diego Garcia , in the context , is near , it there is a military base , have radar ?
3 - Without naming names of countries not to cause trouble , I think that in Africa there is possible " customers " for the type of merchandise that has been subtracted .
4 - Normally terrorist groups take their doings a few hours or days after his attacks , but we imagine the " refinement of evil ," a new tactic where the whole world be watching for a long time, we assume that the direction has changed , began to work with another intellectual level ?
Today there jeep walking on Mars , probes beyond the solar system, satellites that can read plate of cars, but in this case the impression is that all this technology perhaps traveled in time to the 30s ?

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

1-The sighting of the aircraft by people in the Maldives was reported .

Surely this was checked , do not know who checked , anyone know the result of this fact , as it was the official response ?

The problem with this sighting, is it supposedly took place at 6:15AM local time, that would be 01:15z or 1 hour past the last known ping. Also time wise if MH370 flew over the Maldives, it would have arrived at least 3 hours earlier (Which under my theory of Hijack to Yemen, it would have). That would mean if this was an actual sighting, MH370 had to have landed somewhere  before. (Maybe to refuel) 

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!