Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Malaysian Flight 370

Uh oh, I hit "The Button" that I had previously promised myself that I was never going to hit!  Let's see what happens :lol:

Your odds of getting all six numbers correct for the second-largest Mega Millions jackpot are about 1 in 259 million, according to the lottery company. You have more than 1,000 times better chance of an asteroid or comet killing you -- and that's using the long odds, according to Tulane University.

january

kegboypreachit.jpg

King and I....

birdobrien.jpg

• Upvote 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

All theories as to the fate of MH370 must now be put on hold.

The Malaysian Prime Minister has today stated "he is not prepared to declare 370 to be lost" so that insurance claims can be processed.

When pressed as to when it would be declared lost, he declined to answer.

-----

it would seem that all speculation as to what happened to 370 is premature, so I withdraw my thoughts on that matter for the present!!

january

Hey, let's not get the thread closed...  It's been good so far.

Your odds of getting all six numbers correct for the second-largest Mega Millions jackpot are about 1 in 259 million, according to the lottery company. You have more than 1,000 times better chance of an asteroid or comet killing you -- and that's using the long odds, according to Tulane University.

january

I love it when I hear this particular statistic! People hit the Mega Million jackpot every few weeks, when was the last time you heard of an asteroid/comet killing somebody? 

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

have managed to make this entire thread about your meteorite theory, well done. Trust us, we all heard you, the horse is dead..

I agree and now January's ability to post in this topic is removed.

• Upvote 7

I love it when I hear this particular statistic! People hit the Mega Million jackpot every few weeks, when was the last time you heard of an asteroid/comet killing somebody? 

It's ok, according to their #'s the odds are greater that you will die being hit by a low level space impact than drowning!!!  Considering on average 10 people a day die from drowning in the US, 3,457 a year, statistically 359,000 people died from drowning in 2011 but you have a better chance of dying from a meteor hitting you?  Sorry, the #'s to pass the sniff test.

I agree and now January's ability to post in this topic is removed.

Enough said, I am sure the rest of us can drop it!

The sad part is that outside the larger aviation community and those immediately affected this has gone from household conversation to "oh yeah, what ever happened to that"  The interest is fading as does the coverage.  The sad reality though is more people will end up losing life in the ferry accident in SK but it is the mystery of this that draws us in...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

What are some of the things other than the airplane's pinger that could have been detected and mistaken for it?  Do certain depth-sounding sonars on ships operate around this same frequency?  Could they have heard nothing else other than MH370's pinger?

What are some of the things other than the airplane's pinger that could have been detected and mistaken for it?  Do certain depth-sounding sonars on ships operate around this same frequency?  Could they have heard nothing else other than MH370's pinger?

Nothing. There is pretty much nada, zip, nothing, that gives off a repetitive 37.5 KHz pulse at precise intervals that you you'll find in the oceans. The pinger broadcasts in a very narrow band that has harmonics, but those are so low in amplitude compared to the center band that even a detector with a bandpass filter designed to "hear" them would miss them. So, a discreet, precisely repetitive, 37.5 KHz pulse is something distinct and cannot be confused with other "noise" in the ocean. 

Nothing. There is pretty much nada, zip, nothing, that gives off a repetitive 37.5 KHz pulse at precise intervals that you you'll find in the oceans. The pinger broadcasts in a very narrow band that has harmonics, but those are so low in amplitude compared to the center band that even a detector with a bandpass filter designed to "hear" them would miss them. So, a discreet, precisely repetitive, 37.5 KHz pulse is something distinct and cannot be confused with other "noise" in the ocean. 

What if it was 33.3 Tom?  I thought I heard some of the pings were in the 33 KHz range but they attributed that to weakening batteries on the boxes.

What are your thoughts on that Tom?

Thank you btw!

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

What if it was 33.3 Tom?  I thought I heard some of the pings were in the 33 KHz range but they attributed that to weakening batteries on the boxes.

What are your thoughts on that Tom?

Thank you btw!

Yes, that's possible. The principle behind the pinger is that a ceramic is hit by a burst of energy in the selected band. The ceramic resonates and that is transferred into acoustic energy, ultimately detected by another set of ceramics in the band of the pinger's (the receiver or detector on the towed array). As power decreases due to battery fade, the pulse hitting the ceramic could cause the ceramic to resonate at an "off center" frequency. Never the less, there are not any emitters of that frequency that repeat the transmission at a precise pulse repetition rate that a pinger would. The timing of the PRR is determined by an oscillator or timing circuitry that would not change with battery power as far as I know.

Toothed whales can produce sounds in this range, but unless they have learned how to mimic a pinger (maybe to get even), they aren't the source.

Here is a question for Tom. When a recording of the pinger was played on Sky News it was very faint. Hardly audible (at least to untrained ears). One supposes that could mean one or both of two things i.e. that the batteries are low and source close or that the sound has travelled a very long distance and the search site is incorrect.

It must be quite difficult to be precise. Especially now that the pinger seems to be dead. all they can do is scan half of the Indian Ocean floor instead.

Here is a question for Tom. When a recording of the pinger was played on Sky News it was very faint. Hardly audible (at least to untrained ears). One supposes that could mean one or both of two things i.e. that the batteries are low and source close or that the sound has travelled a very long distance and the search site is incorrect.

It must be quite difficult to be precise. Especially now that the pinger seems to be dead. all they can do is scan half of the Indian Ocean floor instead.

I would think they would have marked by GPS coordinates, the location they heard the strongest signal then do a grid search inward to outward from there.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d