Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Malaysian Flight 370

So they hear the pinger; it can't be anything else. They send their thing down, and don't find anything within a well worked out grid. Or at least they didn't hit on anything promising enough to send a camera sled down. So what does that mean? Everything sunk in the muck? The Bluefin isn't effective enough? A nefarious party has spoofed the search by mimicing the signal ( :ph34r: ?).  I'm even beginning to question whether the initial radar plot which shows the contact in the straits of Malacca is actually MH370.

The Soviets had a lot to hide concerning the wreckage of KE007, so that example comes to mind when evaluating the possibility of some party actually spoofing the search.  I'm not saying I actually think it is viable, it's just a kooky thing I'm sticking out there.

The tired "tireless"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-27157554

I spent a very pleasant afternoon aboard Tireless while she was tied up in Plymouth not too many years ago (I was having a look-see and at their NATO SINS INS equipment, which my company had sold to the RN). And her recall is no surprise either. Flank, towed and bow arrays are pretty useless when the pinger runs out of oomph.

So they hear the pinger; it can't be anything else. They send their thing down, and don't find anything within a well worked out grid. Or at least they didn't hit on anything promising enough to send a camera sled down. So what does that mean? Everything sunk in the muck? The Bluefin isn't effective enough? A nefarious party has spoofed the search by mimicing the signal ( :ph34r: ?).  I'm even beginning to question whether the initial radar plot which shows the contact in the straits of Malacca is actually MH370.

The Soviets had a lot to hide concerning the wreckage of KE007, so that example comes to mind when evaluating the possibility of some party actually spoofing the search.  I'm not saying I actually think it is viable, it's just a kooky thing I'm sticking out there for the sake of flapping my gob!

Well, from my perspective, this whole MH370 thing is a sad tale of a lot of errors - starting with the withholding of information causing considerable delays in getting the focus on areas that had a higher probability of containing the debris field.The pinger's battery life was counting down every day of that delay. While it was running, a flank, bow or towed multi-hydrophone equipped array would have been able to get a bearing on it. Three elements would have been able to get a rough bearing on it and the signal strength on one face of the towed array would have given it a positive or negative (left or right) reading on that bearing. Add more elements and you get better bearing resolution. In other words, bringing the towed pinger "locator" was a bit late in the process. By the time it detected a ping, it was too late to do an effective multi-hydrophone survey, and it may have been too late no matter the delay associated with the locator. All speculation on my part.

As for KAL007, I was peripherally involved in that operation. The Russians didn't "spoof" the Dukanes. That's pretty hard to do when you have radar track data, surface evidence of wreckage, and you are the first with the mostess on site.

As for KAL007, I was peripherally involved in that operation. The Russians didn't "spoof" the Dukanes. That's pretty hard to do when you have radar track data, surface evidence of wreckage, and you are the first with the mostess on site.

I had always heard it was the Russians who were on the scene first?  I thought they were the ones that actually excavated the wreck, and hemmed and hawwed, and are the ones that claimed there were no bodies and that the CVR/FDR weren't found.  And then years later, that all changed, recorders were turned over, etc.  Not so?  Obviously, you know much better than what I could ever learn from the internet and all the bs that swirls around this incident, but you would agree that the Russians wanted to cover it all up, and would have if they could have, right?

tbh, the story of KAL is more interesting to me than anything so far about MH370! :P

Not so? Obviously, you know much better than what I could ever learn from the internet and all the bs that swirls around this incident, but you would agree that the Russians wanted to cover it all up, and would have if they could have, right?

My memory sucks. You are right. The DVR and VDR were held by the Russians for 8 years. But, the physical evidence left no doubt that the plane had been shot down and that was determined almost immediately. 

Please correct me if I've been reading reading too many Tom Clancey type books, but can't an LA class sub, with a decent Sonar Operator on the hydrophone systems, find a single whale out of a pod in the Pacific, from somewhere around the Gulf of Alaska? I mean to say that aren't their hydrophone systems, whether towed, bow or flank arrays good enough to get a lock for shooting the torpedoes at? To me that says "Precision", with a capitol "P"!. Once the US was invited in, why didn't they just send in an LA class boat, locate the pingers and go right to them...? Or are they not that good? I don't know, I just read a lot of books :)

Pat☺

Please correct me if I've been reading reading too many Tom Clancey type books, but can't an LA class sub, with a decent Sonar Operator on the hydrophone systems, find a single whale out of a pod in the Pacific, from somewhere around the Gulf of Alaska? I mean to say that aren't their hydrophone systems, whether towed, bow or flank arrays good enough to get a lock for shooting the torpedoes at? To me that says "Precision", with a capitol "P"!. Once the US was invited in, why didn't they just send in an LA class boat, locate the pingers and go right to them...? Or are they not that good? I don't know, I just read a lot of books :)

Pat☺

Who says the US subs aren't there? We don't go advertizing their movements, it's why they call them the silent service. I'm a little surprised the Brit's announced theirs .

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Once the US was invited in, why didn't they just send in an LA class boat, locate the pingers and go right to them...? Or are they not that good? I don't know, I just read a lot of books :)

A towed, flank  or bow array doesn't do you much good when the sound source goes quiet. Tireless was brought in too late.

There's a US House Bill about to be introduced, requiring aircraft to start transmitting GPS data.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/204547-bill-would-require-aircraft-to-transmit-gps-data

Seems sensible enough - if you want us to look for you in extremis, first tell us where you are.

On this topic, is there any legitimate reason that such devices haven't yet been installed? Obviously we don't chase problems before they arrive, and that makes perfect sense, otherwise we as a society would never be content.

But this is something that seems relatively simple and could make determining the location of any aircraft an incredibly easy endeavor. Seems to make total sense, and is something I'm surprised has yet to be installed. Seems like a no-brainer to me... something you'd think of fairly early in the process when developing methods of tracking aircraft. 

I'm fairly new to the aviation world, so I don't mean to butt-in and comment on something that I've uninformed about, but is there any compelling reason(s) that airlines have yet to do this? 

On this topic, is there any legitimate reason that such devices haven't yet been installed?

Our society has always been a reactionary one! Change only comes when something happens and bites us! Even then if it costs Government/taxpayers or business money to implement, change becomes very hard.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Our society has always been a reactionary one! Change only comes when something happens and bites us! Even then if it costs Government/taxpayers or business money to implement, change becomes very hard.

Gotcha. Sounds like there's no real good reason these have yet to be implemented. Agree wholeheartedly with you. 

Hi folks!

I really thought for quite a while about posting the following story at all; but it would leave me some kind of troubled if I wouldn't.

There are a lot of explanatory details which made the story quite long, but if you like, take the time; I very much appreciate it. So here it comes:

Weeks ago my colleagues at work asked me about my idea of what could have happened with MH370. I told them the most plausibel theories but ended with the conclusion that meanwhile I have the impression that only some kind of "paranormal" messaging could give hints about how to proceed.

My colleagues started looking at me a bit like you most probably do now as you read this.

So I added instantaneously: "Well, I am wondering if anyone has asked people directly involved like parents, children, relatives or even SAR people about their thoughts, dreams or emotions about what happend? Probably the "paranormal" capability of the human brain got an idea from 'somewhere' ".

Last week on Saturday (April 26th), I flew with my sim from LIME (Bergamo/Italy) to GMMX (Marrakesh/Maroc) using the NGX737. Like often I re-flew a Ryanair flight, this time FR8846/RYR253F, 3h35m... Inside the UT2 tool I declare the resepctive flight as "user fly" in order to not encounter my own flight on the ramp or in the air. I use the COM1 radio for ATC (RCv4) and toggle the COM2 radio between ASN ATIS and 121.5 (intl. ermergency frequency). I actually started monitoring 121.5 regulary as a conclusion of the disappearance of MH370. I keep monitoring both COMs via the audio panel all the time...

After the arrival and deboarding (sim time approx. SAT 0840Z) I wanted to start the B737 system shut down at the parking position (power supply via ground power). Suddenly there was a morse code: ..-.   .-. (FR)

I checked the audio panel and routine wise all nav audios were off. I turned off the COM1 and COM2  audio buttons, but the audio signal remained. I checked via the FMC which NAV station "FR" actually is: there were three NDBs  These NDBs are also the only "FR" morse code stations which FSC (FlightSimCommander 9.4) finds in my FSX database. FRIKK Farmingdale NDB (KFRG, New York, D3141NM), FRANKFURT NDB (EDDF, Frankfurt, D1332NM) and FORT RESOLUTION NDB (CYFR, Fort Resolution, D4176NM).

So I was asking myself what is FSX starting to play the "..-.   .-." -sound nonstop after being parked for some time already.

This was the second time I thought about MH370 during this mission: first time was en route after switching COM2 back from ASN flightplan wx briefing to 121.5. I had the idea that it would be a great sim enhancement, when there would be a call on that frequency the crew must handle and deal with; just like a new "RCv5"-feature...

Second time was on ground hearing the "FR" morse code, but from "where?".

Just yesterday the quite simple correlance of "FR" and "Ryanair" (two-letter-code: FR) crossed my mind. Something was just calling "Ryanair" via morse code, leaving out a flight number...

Some correlated "details":

- in the FMC I just enter the callsign 253F

- flightplan file names: fsc="LIMEGMMX-FR-8846.pln", ngx="LIMEGMMX-FR-8846.rte", asn="LIME-GMMX.PLN", rc4="LIMEGMMX-FR-8846.rc4" (and the RCD-files "116-78081-LIMEGMMX-FR-8846-1$1.rcd/FLT/FSSAVE/WX"), ut2="UT2 Ryanair flight 8846 - LIME to GMMX.pln".

So inside the FMC there is no manual "FR" entry, just the loaded flightplan file name contains "FR". ASN doesn't know about "FR". Just RCv4 knows "FR" from the flight plan name, while I actually use the callsign 253F inside the programme.

The greatest suspect for me would be UT2, although the given flight plan name does not include "FR", it could be possible that the termination of "user fly" FR8846 (in terms of  schedule) on the ramp in Marrakesh "somehow" caused the "FR"-morse-signal over FSX's morse code emitter (e.g. a faulty variable usage)...

But what if there is no "bitwise" explanation for the morse code? Could all the thinking about MH370, mentioning a "paranormal" solution approach and monitoring 121.5 actually produce a small gate of communication?

So folks, don't get me wrong, but if anyone has an idea what "FR" could stand for (e.g. "flight recorder") don't hesitate to make suggestions (yes I know: there might be a lot of "not so serious FR-suggestions"). Or is there a KFRG-EDDF-CYFR connection out there? Is there a correlance between the names „Farmingdale“, „Frankfurt“ and „Fort Resolution“?

Come on guys, I hope you know what I mean: it's just a thought.

Now I can file it meanwhile under "FSX strange affairs/bugs" until someone out there might be able to make something reasonable out of that story...

Regards,

Claus

Here is something interesting, the Malaysian's are starting to release more info about the cargo on board. It seems there was some dangerous cargo onboard, I don't know if this was the cause, but I thought transporting lithium-ion batteries, was no-no! http://news.yahoo.com/mh370-carried-440-pounds-danger-224000552--politics.html, here's the article.

Very unlikely the cause, as the batteries were carried in the rear cargo compartment, well away from the avionics compartment in the front, so if their was a fire it's unlikely it would have simultaneously severed communications, so there would have been some warning, and it's unlikely the plane could have flown on for hours while a lithium fire which doesn't respond well to suppressors is burning.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!