Sign in to follow this  
avgaskoolaid

FSX Not starting- only splash screen

Hi everyone. Recently, FSX has not been starting up. I only get so far as the splash screen. Just when it is about to start up and show the main menu, it closes. I don't get an error message or anything, it just simply stops loading and shuts down. I noticed this after I re-installed FS9 onto my computer. I have tried deleting/renaming my fsx.cfg and logbook files, but nothing has worked so far. Could someone help? Thanks. 

Try reinstalling Direct X. It's possible that when you installed FS9 it put an older version of some component that FSX needs to run like DirectX or C++ runtimes.

This is the 'classic' symptom of a corrupted logbook.bin file. Just rename that to logbook.bin.bak so you can restore it later and FSX will start and build a new one.

Use one of the available utilities to recover/fix your corrupter logbook and in future NEVER, EVER, attempt to EDIT the logbook from within FSX. There is a well known, never fixed problem with the editing function in FSX!!!

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Try reinstalling Direct X. It's possible that when you installed FS9 it put an older version of some component that FSX needs to run like DirectX or C++ runtimes.

This is the 'classic' symptom of a corrupted logbook.bin file. Just rename that to logbook.bin.bak so you can restore it later and FSX will start and build a new one.

Use one of the available utilities to recover/fix your corrupter logbook and in future NEVER, EVER, attempt to EDIT the logbook from within FSX. There is a well known, never fixed problem with the editing function in FSX!!!

Paul

I tried both of these, and they have not helped. Also, I did not try to edit the logbook within fsx. Ive never even seen it, actually. 

Hi everyone. Recently, FSX has not been starting up. I only get so far as the splash screen. Just when it is about to start up and show the main menu, it closes. I don't get an error message or anything, it just simply stops loading and shuts down. I noticed this after I re-installed FS9 onto my computer. I have tried deleting/renaming my fsx.cfg and logbook files, but nothing has worked so far. Could someone help? Thanks. 

I assume that FS9 starts correctly up to the main menu.   I had a similar problem a few years ago when I began using Win7 (not sure what OS you are using).   It would go to the splash screen and then a Windows error dialogue box would appear (which you're not getting).   Even after many attempts, I couldn't load FSX.   Now I'm not saying that this will be your fix, but it helped me:  I went into FSX.exe in my root folder - properties- compatibility mode. Changed the compatibility setting to Win XP or Vista and that fixed my problem.   However the downside was, I could start FSX and fly faultlessly, but on final approach, my frames would drop and get the associated jerks.  

Till recently, I used to save the flight (used to save it often during the flight), exit the Sim, reload, and the jerks and jitters went away.   Many have found this to be a solution, though it does spoil the flight continuity.   Then out of the blue, I recalled that a while ago I had made this change to my compatibility setting, and as a final resort, thought to untick that box, knowing full well that I may have trouble starting FSX (but it was worth a try, as all my options had gone to remove the stutters on approach).   Lo and behold, my stutters had gone (I have done about 8 long haul flights so far without stutters on final), and it only takes me about two to four attempts to start FSX.  

Hope this helps you.

Chris

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Crash To Desktop (CTD) Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

FSX will not start up if Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 w/SP1 is not installed.  See the AVSIM CTD Guide regarding Microsoft Visuals and Microsoft.net.  The link to the CTD Guide is located under Hot Spots to the right of this forum.

Another possibility.... if you have FS DreamTeam or Flightbeam airport scenery, the Addon Manager could be corrupted.  Download and run the latest Addon Manager from FS DreamTeam.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Please keep us updated. I had the same issue in the past and it had me stumped. I ended up reinstalling Win7 anyways and starting over, but would really like to know. I will say that at the time, I had not heard of the logbook.bin so I had not tried rebuilding it.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Try changing your day/dawn/dusk textures.  I solved crashes at that same point by doing this.  Mine, however, always involved a crash report. Never know though.

Dave

Try changing your day/dawn/dusk textures.

I think his problem is that he cannot even start up FSX and just gets to the splash screen. 

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Do you have enb installed or sweet fx if so go to your fsx root folder and remove the dxd9.dll and try again remove it and save it somewhere as I've seen this cause that before. Wayne.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

Another possibility.... if you have FS DreamTeam or Flightbeam airport scenery, the Addon Manager could be corrupted.  Download and run the latest Addon Manager from FS DreamTeam.

Thank you, Jim, this worked! And thank you everyone else for your replies and help.