Sign in to follow this  
tomman27

texture is loading slow

Hello,

Since i have my new pc fsx load really slow i dont get it my pc is good enough to load fast all the textures my pc specs are:

I7 4770k 3.5ghz with turbo 3.9

Nvidia geforce gtx 780

16 gb ram

256gb ssd

I tought this setup was good enough for fsx but the textures are loading very slow

Can i do something to fix this?

Thanks

Hi Tomman27   I would advise checking out the FSX/P3D configuration guide ( listed above top right in Hot Spots) to see if you have done all the necessary tweaks to the fsx.cfg configuration file. there is also advice on 'nvidiainspector ' (driver tool) in which you can use an option to limit the frame rates (to 1/2)

bob

Using an external fps limiter is not recommended with FSX.  I think you will find out sooner than later that it does not work very good.  One of the major reasons for slow loading of textures is the fact that photoscenery may be loading in the background.  This is why AVSIM recommends reducing the amount of scenery being loaded by using the Scenery Config Editor and only loading the scenery you will be using during a planned flight session. 

You can see for yourself exactly what is loading in the background by running Process Monitor from the Internet.  You want to load just FSX in the Process Monitor otherwise the report will be unintelligible.  I start it up just before takeoff (in any event, you have to have FSX running for Process Monitor to "see" FSX).  Once Process Monitor is open, click on Filter, change 'Architecture" to "Process Name" and then go to the blank space for Process Name and scroll down to FSX.exe, click Add, and then OK.  Process Monitor will now be showing only FSX stuff loading.  Go to full screen and fly.  During the flight, if you see a glitch or a sudden loss in FPS, immediately write down the time.  Continue the flight and do this throughout the flight.  Once the flight is complete, immediately hit Ctrl+E and this will stop Process Monitor from monitoring.  Now, shutdown FSX and look at the log.  As you scroll through the huge log, you will see what was loaded and at what time.  The time is important as, if you wrote down any times you saw a large loss of FPS, you can go to those times and see what was being loaded.  Was it Orbx stuff in Australia and you were flying in Europe? (Just a suggestion).  So this is a good way to investigate the reason(s) why your textures are not loading very fast. 

Another major reason for slow loading is high FSX scenery settings.  Orbx/FTX has manuals for their products and suggested settings.  This is also some of the basis for the recommended settings suggested by AVSIM in the FSX Configuration Guide.  They know and I know that Autogen is a big killer for FPS.  Use it judiciously.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Using an external fps limiter is not recommended with FSX.  I think you will find out sooner than later that it does not work very good.

I personally strongly disagree with that statement. 

I have always had more stable frames when using inspector for limiting the frames instead of the internal limiter. The internal limiter seems to decrease the performance a lot, whereas the inspector limiter keeps it bang on the set value. 

I have tested on multiple systems with both DX9 and DX10 as well is in combo with Vsync and half rate Vsync, and all my tests on these systems come to the conclusion that the external limiter works much better. 

Just my 2c on that. 

As for the Op's request, I would recommend following a guide on how to set up FSX correctly. 

One thing that springs to mind when you say slow loading is that I am wondering if you have set a (correct) affinity mask in you FSX.CFG file? If you havent, it could well be the reason as you won't be using all your cores. 

Thanks for your input.  I'm sure it will be helpful to others.  Funny how it works for some and not for others.  I would be interested in knowing your system specs (mine are in My PC profile on the sidebar under my avatar).  What you are flying has a lot to do with fps limiters too.  I fly mainly over photoscenery.  I read somewhere that the internal limiter developed by Microsoft for FSX works better than any external, especially the one from NVidia in the NVidiaInspector.  I personally have my FPS limited to 50 fps and it stays solid for most of the flight.  The beginning and ending a flight will see the fps dropping dramatically but, for the most part, I'm very satisfied with the FSX internal limiter.  I know NickN, a computer and FSX guru, definitely recommends the FSX limiter.  But, if it works for you and others, great.  The object of this game is to enjoy.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On a previous slower build I used the external limiter successfully. But with my 2500K I use in game locked at 30 and have had more stable fps as well as perceived faster loading textures.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

In my case internal limiter decreased CPU/Gpu usage more than external one on same FPS level and what I see that with nvinspector it is easier for me to maintain stable 30 FPS.

But as always firehawk is right again - just a matter of preferences and particular config.