Sign in to follow this  
clocki

PMDG 777 Frames low?!

Hello,

today in the morning I purchased the 777 also as it not offer a 2D panel. But with EZDoc I thought I can handle that also as my PC is not the worst one and is normally working very fine in 2D view with NGX.

But I just made a couple of short taxi tests with the 777 on some "famous" T7 places with PMDG UAE+BOX livery. All without traffic and weather.

Aerosoft EDDF = 17-20fps

Aerosoft EDDL = 19-27fps (Terminal is ~ 20fps)

Aerosoft EDDP = 25-30fps

Aerosoft EDDM = ~ 26-30fps

Aerosoft LSZH = 18-20fps

FlyTampa OMDB = 30fps

UK2000 EGCC = 20fps

I did not test all the other airports as I did not installed all and did not have the time right now.

Do you have any suggestions for me how can I get a min. of stable 25fps (locked at 30fps)? The plane looks good but flying with light stutters or sometimes FSX hangs for 5-15s.

At all nothing special to my settings, nothing big changed in relation to the Introdution PDF coming with the plane. I also lowered the display frames and turned off the FO displays.

Thank you :)

Greetings Eddi :smile:

Well you never really did specify your settings within FSX. You also have a more than capable rig, 
You probably just haven't optimized your FSX or you haven't optimized your OS for FSX operation.

But, those FPS are pretty much what I'd expect at major airports. AI at these airports can cause performance hits, again I'm speculating that you have AI traffic because your OP was pretty vague with regard to settings inside FSX or any applied tweaks

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

I guess I have optimized my system with the help of a FS friend who bought an identical PC. But here is my FSX.cfg if you want to have a closer look. Maybe you find something strange in there :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vuq4xr7rma1mj5d/fsx.CFG

My Nvidia Inspector settings I got from here (scroll down a bit): http://#####.wordpress.com/fsx-software-and-hardware-guide/

At the airports where I tested the frames I had following conditions:

• only airport itself
  • no weather
  • no AI traffic (I only fly online so AI makes no sense)
  • daylight
  • VC captain view including PFD,ND
  • tested from runway to parking position to get an average fps value

So I was quite surprised as I got on many big airports the same problem. If I had this only in EDDF I would say "can happen". But I'm not only flying between OMDB and maybe LOWW :D

Thanks for any advice :)

PS: Does it help to turn the "high quality VC" off? Or will I get then noticeable problems with the VC?

EDIT: I'm using Window mode, in fullscreen frames are good but I can't good switch back to desktop, right clicks bringing me back to the desktop also when using Shift+2 to use the FMC and clicking on the FMC.

Greetings Eddi :smile:

You can check the specs under my Avatar, it took a bit of tweaking but I never dip below 30 in any situation.  I only fly the Aerologic fleet.

Using ASN (networked)  Global mesh, REX direct, FTX Global & Vector, All Aerologic destinations & FS sliders maxed out except AI.  Road traffic is also set low

The big performance boost for me came from  -  

1. Removing the external model (Yeah I know big deal for some, I fly from the cockpit) Huge boost in smoothness

2. UsePools=0

3.HIGHMEMFIX=1

4. REX Direct, DXT5 clouds DXT1 water  (with water maxed and heavy clouds still 30fps rock solid.

5. Turn ND FPS display down low (I think a known bug exists?)  turn of F/O displays

Overall smoothness for me is the same as FS9 on my 4.9ghz Rig.  From all the nightmare posts I read 

about FSX I was sure performance would be crap.  Wish I had switched to FSX sooner!

Rob Prest

I have a similar system but with a worse CPU, that is: i7 860, 12GB of RAM and a GTX 770.

I followed Nick's guide on how to setup, not only FSX, but the whole computer for optimized performance. You can check it out here: 

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

Went through every step (takes a while) and now I'm pretty happy with my FS-X.

I personally don't use any add-on airports. Most important thing in a simulator is the aircraft, then the environment and the absolute last thing are the airports/scenery. By environment I mean the general look of the FS-world, the sky, the textures, clouds etc... For this I recommend Real Environment Xtreme.

Just a thought: At this day and age, with people having PC's you could only dream of when FSX was first released in 2005, and still one cannot fly smoothly with complex aircraft and scenery without spending HOURS optimizing and tweaking and still you won't have an "awesome" performance as in "wow, I get 60 stable fps and sooo smooth"... People feeling really happy if they get as huge as a value of 30 (!!!). I just hate FS-X, it's the Windows Vista of Flight Simulation, I hate it with all my heart... (sorry for the offtopic).

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I don't see the issue spending a few hours tweaking. What's the big deal? It took me less then 4 hours of configuring and reading posts while having a few beers and listening to some albums.  Now everything is smooth as silk 

Rob Prest

Where I said hours I should've said WEEKS. I've been setting up my PC from scratch following NickN's guide and it takes A LOT of time.

And it's not a "one time setup, fly away thing", it's very iterative, trial and error. I've spent entire days only test-flying FSX under different configurations, changing configs and test-flying again to find the right one. I've been sim-flying since FS98 and I have NEVER felt so helpless with any of the previous simulators. FS-2004 was a joy compared to FS-X. The only reason I use FS-X is because PMDG won't release the 777 on X-Plane 10. The day developers such as PMDG or Level-D start releasing for X-Plane 10 I'll say goodbye to FSX for good.

As a comparison, recently I played Bethesda's "Fallout 3" (awesome game, totally recommendable), a game released in 2008 (3 years after FS-X). It installed, automatically detected my hardware, set itself to Ultra-High quality and that was it. I was playing in no-time. No performance issues whatsoever. Now, please don't get me wrong. I won't be so "naive" to pretend that FS-X and all of its add-ons should behave like a videogame. FSX is a "simulator" and not a "game", and shouldn't be treated as such. I only commented on that to express my "frustration" on having to spend more time actually configuring your system/FSX than flying. And that's not desirable at all.

Anyway, I agree with you in the "listening to some albums" thing. I've enjoyed my music setting FS-X up :D

Sorry for the offtopic

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Alpha, let me know if you need any help tweaking FSX.  I have been doing tech support for FS products for a few years now (in my spare time)  Feel free to PM me if you are interested.

Regards

Rob Prest

Basically just go to your aircraft folder..

eg - C:FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 777F\model

Inside the model folder you will see model.cfg

Open in notepad &  add // as shown below

[models]
//normal=PMDG_777_200F.MDL
interior=PMDG_777_VC

Rob Prest