Sign in to follow this  
tsa737

Thoughts on Dell Aurora

Hi, I am looking to get a new gaming PC. Due to a disability, I am unable to build my own PC, and thus I am looking at an Aurora desktop, and having it customized to my specs.

I am interested in your thoughts about what is a must have hardware component since i tend towards the following add ons:

FSX

FTX/ORBX: Global, Vector, AU and PNW

Add on airports from LatinVFR, Imaginesim, FlyTampa

PMDG: 737NGX and 777

Opus weather

REX OD

Thanks for your assistance

Rob

also, if u know of reliable option in lieu of Aurora, that would be fine too.  thx

I would certainly not go with dell myself.

If you really do not want to build yourself, go and take a look here for much better options:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/PromotionStore/ID-2125620?name=Gaming-Entertainment

At the top of the page, in the picture, click on configure your pc now. 

I think the big question is, what is your budget?

Judging by what you said you want to do in your original post, and thinking you want to do that at high settings, I would choose something like this or comparable:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX1C92164 ($1659, seems like a nice price with a dedicated SSD for FSX. and a GTX 770)

Only downside with most of these models is that you have to get some more info on the specifics of the systems, and you have to install win 7 yourself, unless you want to go windows 8, which I would not advise. 

I have an Alienware and it is pretty good, and the new ones offer some great options. Don't totally discount it.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Personally, I'd also stay away from Dell (though I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their higher end monitors) as well as the other "box store" brands.  There are expensive options and some of the cheaper alternatives that have already been mentioned.  The last time I had one built, I went with AVA Direct.  http://www.avadirect.com/ . They build a great PC.  I found them excellent to work with and they offer an absolutely mind numbing array of options with which to customize a system to your exact specifications.  Of course, with so many options, you'll want to do some research first so you have an idea of the pros and cons of all the options available.  You can put a system together on-line and then give them a call and they'll go over everything with you piece by piece so you avoid any problems later.  If I were building a new system today, I wouldn't hesitate to go back to them. 
  If money is no object, I've heard great things about Jetline Systems http://www.jetlinesystems.com/ .  They build systems specifically for flightsim enthusiasts, but they are also about the most expensive option out there. 
A lot of folks prefer to spend as little as possible to get a system that they can tweak and customize on their own while others prefer to spend more for the peace of mind of getting a system that will perform the way they expect.it to, right out of the box.  It all depends on your knowledge, abilities and of course, your bank account.

Cheers,

Jeff

I have had an Alienware aurora for 4 years now without any issues. Some people will get faulty ones I suppose but I really have nothing to complain about with mine.

You could look at jetline systems which is we're I will probably buy my next one at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sean Green

I have an alienware aurora R4 and i have to say its just fricking excellent. its pricey alright, but you pay for what you get. It came with windows 8, and i know all the problems some people experience with 8 and fsx but i have to say after abit of tweaking i never have a CTD and FSX just runs so smoothly with up to 50FPS with the orbix scenery. i see its still offered on the website with Windows 7 so probably a better version to go with but im very happy with windows 8, FSX and the Mighty Alienware. 

Colin

Consider Jetline Systems - the guys who run it are very familiar with FSX and it can be overclocked by them before it arrives to you.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

To be quite honest, I would stay away from Dell if you want a pre-built machine, you can save a considerable amount of money if you look towards someplace else that build computers to your needs. I had an Alienware Aurora 2008 model before I built my current machine, the quality of the Alienware wasn't that great, although they may have improved, the case wasn't really designed for airflow and more like looks, not to bash Alienware too much. You'd be better off researching places that you can get the same system you may be looking at for a much lower cost! 

A few years back I used Ironside Computers to build a PC for me when I did not have time to do it myself.  I was impressed and happy with their service and you can fully customize it on their web site (they will also include non-listed components if you wish).  They can also do overclocking, custom water cooling, and any other whiz-bang thing you want.  I have no other recent experience with any other custom gaming PC builders since I prefer to build myself, but I echo what others have said about staying away from Dell and the like simply from a cost standpoint.  

Bill

Intel Core i7 8700-K (OC'd)  |  Noctua D-15S Cooler  |  Asus ROG Strix Z-370E Motherboard  |  G-Skill Trident-Z 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM  |  Samsung 970 Evo 1TB SSD  |  EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Video Card x 2 (2-Way SLI)  |  Corsair 750D Airflow Edition Case upgraded with Noctua fans  |  Corsair 1000W Power Supply  |  MSI - Optix MAG24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor x 3  |  Windows 10 Home 64-bit