Sign in to follow this  
alike

Rain Drops in VC?

Just imagine a PMDG NGX or the triple seven with the graphics performance of the Majestic Dash 8!

Would be a dream come true! :)

Have a nice weekend though!

Tom

True refraction? If that's the case, that's very exciting. I'd assume such a thing would be P3D only?

Nope. FSX as well. And I found an alternative to hacks...so that post you refer to is no longer applicable. Still things go very low level (Assembly). That said, I would hardly call hooking into the FSX graphics engine hacking or reverse engineering. The way DirectX is designed makes it very open to anything you want to do provided you have the skill to do it. That's how VRS got their FLIR display right. P3D just has some of the steps to access things built in.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

Now that Majestic have shown the benefits of running the FDE outside of the FSX engine, I wonder why other major aircraft devs are not following their lead?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Regarding raindrops in VC and performance why not just simulate rain drops while on the ground taxing at low speed?

The raindrops could then run up the windshield at takeoff speed and disappear once in the air?

My FPS is always better on the ground than in the air anyway and at higher speeds the raindrops wouldn't be noticeable on the windshield anyway...

Chris Camp

Howard,

By 'major aircraft devs' I assume you mean the likes of PMDG, in which case this thread may be helpful.

Ah, I missed that thread Jordi. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, cheers.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

That's how VRS got their FLIR display right.

But your example also points out how difficult it is to do this. The FLIR display does not work properly in DX10 and it doesn't work for every graphics card even in DX9.

But your example also points out how difficult it is to do this. The FLIR display does not work properly in DX10 and it doesn't work for every graphics card even in DX9.

The problems in DX9 are usually due to rogue d3d9.dll modifications, bad drivers, or not running the proper DX runtimes.

DX10 is a totally different ballgame. Its not impossible (I have done it myself in some experiments) but it has to be completely redone since it is a totally different library. The process for opening up the DX10 interface is the same as DX9. Just some pathways are different and of course it is a totally different class so naming conventions are different.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

The Nemeth EC-130 helicopter got raindrops on the windshield which looks very realistic when flying because the wind moves them away.

Spirit

xfOS0.jpg

If we did this there would assuredly be people upset that certain switches don't animate and so on, just as you guys are upset that the rain isn't there. We get tickets all the time that complain about the things we did leave out like the CDU keypad button animations as it is. The biggest animation drivers in the NGX are the HGS, the real-time options system and the lighting system. These are all things are features that people love. I wish we didn't have these limitations but that's the reality of having to use an 8 year old platform. I know some of you are going to say "well just give us the option of what animations we want" - it isn't that simple. That would require totally separate VC and external modes and separate code to accomplish that. Even if you aren't using the HGS or whatever in your particular livery options, the animations are still there and count against the limit. It would be highly impractical to create and maintain a bunch of different models and codebases just to add cosmetic effects like rain that don't really have a tangible function in flying the airplane. If you've got rain hitting the windshield in a 737 in real life, you're almost certainly doing an instrument approach anyway...

Things like the glowing brakes on the 777 aren't affecting the VC either btw - the external model and the VC have their own separate animation limits.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

If we did this there would assuredly be people upset that certain switches don't animate and so on, just as you guys are upset that the rain isn't there.

Thank you for explaining this to us Ryan. My question wasn't really targeted towards FSX, but rather towards P3Dv2 and if the limit is still present in that software :)

Edited by n4gix
Removed excessive quote.

@Jordi: it can now be done without any form of "hacking" into default files. It's still tricky, but it can be done.

Do you mean adding rain drops effect on VC? Can you explain how to do it?

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

That is secret at the moment...

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Do you think one day it can be revealed? :rolleyes:

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

If it's a bit of payware that could add the effect to all aircraft, I'd be all in!