Sign in to follow this  
ETNWHVAC

FSX CTD When loading Flight Plan On The FMC!

So here is the deal! I took a flight from KSLC to KSJC, before take off I loaded all the departure legs and took off without issue, then about 70nm from my destination I missed my aproach, so I Erase the flight plan from the FMC to load new legs (at this point the Autopilot is being controled by heading). As soon as

I finished loading the aproach BRITNY1 into the FMC then FSX CTD. The error I don't have it but it showed that it was related to the JS41.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

"I missed my aproach, so I Erase the flight plan from the FMC"

Was the APPR already loaded in the FMC?

This is interesting ... as I am also learning the J41 ... I also use the RealityXP Garmin on my flights.

Edit:

Try:

Missed.

Fly to missed.

Hold.

Load new Approach waypoint or fly the approach manually.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

I loaded my approach in to the FMC "Briny1" but i had already gone pass the initial waypoint for that aproach. So I erased the whole flight Plan and then input the Approach part only. That resulted in FSX Crashing To Desktop(CTD). Thanks For Your Reply. The issue is not about procedure the issue is about why did it Crashed FSX when I did it.

Ok,

Thanks for the additional information.

The reason I asked is .. I may try your same situation and see if it crashes on my PC.

I have seen on other payware just loading a specific approach caused problems ...

Have you by chance tried it a second time?

Did you check your Windows Event Viewer to see which Module caused the crash?

Are you using Windows 8? or Win 7?

What was your initial (transition) fix on BRINT1

Best Regards,

I do not know your exact steps (buttons/selection/sequences) so I did a first test like this.
You have not replied again so I just tried a few things.

I erased the flight plan during a flight (as a test only-normally never do it).

Selected the same flight plan (it had been saved/already had BRITNY1 waypoints in it) again and activated it.
Note : you have to have a destination airport prior to selecting STARs / Apprs ...
That is why I loaded the flight plan again.

You had mentioned "So I erased the whole flight Plan and then input the Approach part only." ... I do not know exactly how you did it.

Selected any Direct To waypoints.
NAV mode.

Changed the Runway/Appr. as a further test.

No CTD while messing with the FMS/CDU.

I think in your case you could have just modified your current plan and selected like a new ILS APPR.

Edit: Maybe you could do a short video ?

Best Regards,

Sorry for not answering promptly but i'm at work. I will try to follow what I did the other day to see if the CTD happens this time I will try to get a video.

Some more info:

Windows 7 64bit ( Patched with Automatiocore.dll file)

I flew from KSLC to KSJC on the flight plan the BRINY1 Transition start @ MUSTANG (FMG) so I Pass mustang and just follow the normal FSX flight plan which took me on a southwest path. That is because I had not erased some legs in the FMC that were not part of the approach but part of the normal flight plan. One I realized that I erased the whole flight plan from the FMC and then procede to load the approach from within the FMC, that is I input the airport selected the Approach Briny1 and transition with the rw30L. And as soon as it loaded all the waypoints is then when it CTD..

Again I will re-flight the aproach only I don't believe i have to fly the whole KSLC to KSJC again to reproduce the issue.

I might just have a problem with my setup...some time ago the aircraft would CTD when activating the GPU....I solved that by re-installing the aircraft.

Thanks.

"Again I will re-flight the aproach only I don't believe i have to fly the whole KSLC to KSJC again to reproduce the issue."

Right.

Probably just get en-route, start a video, get a good shot your front pane, autopilot modes, shot of the FMC legs page, then do your erase shooting the steps you are doing.

Maybe it would be a 2 min video at max because you know what to do in advance.

Did you check your Windows Event Viewer to see which Module caused the last crash?

Best Regards,

I was able to replicate the issue but I'm having trouble getting the video up. I'll keep working on it.

Otnielok,

Ok.

What is the problem ... e.g., like the upload site or linking it into the forum post here?

Best Regards,

Ok New development...I was able to avoid the CTD and Replicate the CTD at will. I explain how I did it so you might see if its a general problem or my set up is some what messed up.

Ok so I discovered that If I input a Leg before loading the Approach then there is no problem.

If I load the approach by itself then It CTD.

Example1 with CTD

1) @ FMC Load a departure(any departure)

2) Take off and turn Autopilot to fly the departure

3) While in the air @ FMC Select the "Erase"( that will clear all legs from the FMC flight plan)

4) @ FMC go to "Arrive" and choose an approach (for the airport you just took off from)

5) As soon as you hit the "Select" then it should CTD

Example2 without CTD

Follow steps 1 to 3

**As an extra note I just realized that I don't even have to fly to get the CTD...Just by input the approach in the tarmac will give me the CTD..We might be into something here.

4) @ FMC input any leg you choose first ( Could be a VOR or a Waypoint)

5) Then @ FMC go to "Arrive" and choose your approach.

I know CTD FSX in purpose is not good but I need to find if it's a isolated issue or if PMDG needs to look into the code.

Thanks.

***I just realized that I don't even need to be airborne to get the CTD. Just by loading the approach in the tarmac does it...We might be into something here.

Otniel,

Yes, although clicking on the CDU should not IMO cause an error ... your specific selections will crash a J4100 gauge DLL.

This is a simulation .. stuff happens.

I created a KDTW departure (SID) and a KATL arrival (STAR).

Then I erased the KATL arrival (simulated diversion) and selected the arrival (STAR) back to KDTW with an approach to an ILS runway at KDTW.

No problems.

Normally you would just enter an arrival runway and its transition / approach rather than the entire STAR

https://www.dropbox.com/s/quw1ndl41trpjlk/PMDG-J41-proc.JPG

Best Regards,

Now that I realized how the CTD happens in this particular Addon I will able to avoided, that is until PMDG revise their code. I did made a test with another vendor addon the QW Bae 146 and this one has the same FMC. I was able to do the inputing of the approach with no issues. Great product never the less. I very much like the engine management aspect of it. Thanks.

Vonmar.

"I did made a test with another vendor addon the QW Bae 146 and this one has the same FMC. I was able to do the inputing of the approach with no issues."

Did you input a new STAR or approach that got the CTD with the J41?

I think sometimes you say approach but mean STAR?

Best Regards,

You are correct when I refer to approach I mean inputing a STAR on the FMC, and yes I was at the tarmac in KSJC and with a Blank FMC I did input the STAR for BRINY1 when I hit the "Select" Option I Loaded the Approach legs without issue. I hate to go off Topic by mentioning another vendor but it was something I did consider of interest.

I still not clear if you got the CTD with the instructions provided.

And also I want to be clear that I have been refering to the flight computer as FMC but is actually called the CDU?

Thanks again for your help on this.