Sign in to follow this  
Eagle Spirit

Can I install FSX on my "C" drive

I'm having a system built for FSX. I watched a video where it was suggested that we install on a separate drive. In his case, "G" drive. He said that it made FSx load faster, w/o Windows 7 slowing it down.

My new system is an i7 4770, 3.5-3.9 TB, HD graphics 4600 / Nvid. 780 3GB GDDR5 7000MHz, Samsung120GB 840 EVO series SSD, SATA 6GB, 1TB WD VelociRaptor.

Left a few items out, but thought this would show, basically what I'd put on the "C" drive, along with many addon AC and FTX regions and airports.

As a total noob when it comes to computers, seem to make sense to me, but then again, I'm a noob  :blush: .

Eagle

The thing is.. you are going to get tight on space....  Win7 + FSX in 120 GB is going to be OK

for a while.. but not long when you start adding airplanes and airports..

Frankly, to keep things simple, I would put Win7 on the SSD and FSX on the 1TB drive.

Bert

The thing is.. you are going to get tight on space....  Win7 + FSX in 120 GB is going to be OK

for a while.. but not long when you start adding airplanes and airports..

Frankly, to keep things simple, I would put Win7 on the SSD and FSX on the 1TB drive.

I agree with Bert here. OS on the SSD and FSX on the 1TB drive for future expansion.

You could run them both off C drive. There would be a small performance hit on loading, but once FSX loads all its files into memory, it runs it from there for the most part. 

But best option in my opinion is Windows on the SSD and FSX on your 1TB drive. 

Dean
Manager - PC Aviator Australia

Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories

Eagle,

Buy a second 120Gb SSD and install FSX on that. You've got a near state-of-the-art system there so why slow down FSX loading by putting it on old technology?

I also have a 1Tb HDD but use it for the swap file, downloads and not much else but it's great for that. Horses for courses. :wink:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

SSDs will decrease in price. So why not start with a single 120 GB SSD, and get the 2nd one when it's actually needed and a good deal cheaper? Until then maybe a 240 GB (or even bigger) SSD is within reach ...

I'd probably start Dean's way and, at some point in the future, move FSX to a brand new, bigger SSD.

BTW, after years of FSX simming, my current FSX installation is around 400 GB ...

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your good suggestions. I've decided to go with another Samsung 120GB SSD. I'll use one for OS, the other for FSX, and a western Digital 1TB VelociRaptor for sceneries, airports etc.

just had a brief discussion with AVAdirect, who are doing the build, and they concur. Price for the second 120GB SSD was roughly $180.00. Not bad! A 240/500 get very pricey.

I recently fractured me neck in Afghanistan, and making an effort to regain the use of my extremities again. Over the last 10 months I've regained the use of all but my right hand (a work in progress :unsure: ). FSX helps to keep my mind off of the negative side of rehab, so thought I go all the way with this build.

Real nice of you FSX vets to provide feedback.

BTW Dean,

Have placed a lot of orders with PCA/USA. Mark there, is one helluva nice guy and provides great customer service and care.  :Hug:

Sorry to hear you have been injured/wounded.

Flightsimming might actually help with coordination; being a way more motivating, fun way to practice fine-tuned, coordinated movements.

There's also a very helpful, knowledgable fellow simmer around at AVSIM, who does a great job flying single-handed, due to a disability. (No WIP for him!)

Yeah, FSX definitely is on the positive side of things ...

Thank friend!

Yes, flying one handed does offer it's challenges, but nothing wrong with a challenge or two. Makes one appreciate the real meaning of life. Just roll with the punches B) . However, I'll add that this is the heaviest "pack" I've carried to date!

I'll add, there is one real happy Navy phys. ther. nurse who relished those moments when she could twist, bend and contort this Marine w/o retaliation. I owe her big time. :wub:

I was asking myself the same question when I ordered my new system one week ago. Since I was on a budget, I decided against two separate 120GB-SSDs (which indeed is the smoother option), and went for a single 240GB (Crucial M500 series, 94€=130US$). I hope, Win7 and FSX will get along. Gonna find out tomorrow!

Good luck with your recovery!