Sign in to follow this  
abbaabb

AS Next with 777

I thought I'd put my two cents in here -

I've had several take-offs (with ASN of course) during thunderstorms.

And on climbing out after take-off, the wind shear alarm was sounding - the plane was bumping around in updrafts/downdrafts - and my climb speed (via auto throttle) was continually being hampered down to almost stall speed with a few stall warnings.

To correct this I either:

1. dis-engaged auto throttle and controlled the thrust levers manually to ensure a safe climb out speed, or

2. increased the climb speed in the window by 10+ knots

3. Flew manually (no auto pilot) to maintain a low climb rate to ensure a safe speed was maintained throughout the wind buffeting 

I would conduct either of these until I was out of the "danger zone".

Mind you, until ASN came along I never experienced this in FSX........I love it! Bring it on!

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

It happened to me by being configured to land and using the MCP speed selector.

The speed won't come down, and on short final it was almost Vref+40.

What else could I do, beside disconnect the AT?

I'm not saying is an Issue, just that with the way AS Next Inject weather they might have new variables to deal with.

Remember that the 777 was coded before ASNext was out. (right?)

Have just experienced the same: ILS approach with ASN, turbulent wx, established on G/S, aircraft "dirty", A/T engaged, commanding idle thrust ... but the T7 would not slow down?!?

Stating the obvious here :)  IRL we wouldn't be taking off and landing in the conditions we are talking about.  

Am going to do some tests tests tomorrow, will max out turbulence in ASN

Rob Prest

Hi all,

this is a very interesting discussion. What is noticeable from the 2 videos is the constant changes in the angle of attack (due to the turbulence obviously). It might be worth rechecking the same scenario with the option "enhance turbulence" unchecked in ASN options. 

Second, at least in the second video there was a storm and depending on precipitation rate (and winds and terrain etc), ASN constantly adjusts the updraft downdraft ratio. It seems to me that in this approach you may have been in a constant 300 to 400 fpm downdraft situation. You can also check this using ASN debug window (look for a negative VS there). I am not talking about windshear here. Just pure precip related downdraft. You can set the max downdraft rate to zero in ASN settings and retest this scenario.

One other thing I've noticed is that several aircrafts behave differently in the case of a downdraft, but in most cases you get a pitch up attitude change (it's part of the aircraft "self balance" design). I don't know if this is related to the response of the AT in the T7, but it makes sense that the aircraft may try to compensate for restoring stability and balance, while ASN tries to "destroy" it in the first place :) 

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Are you using the default ASN settings? It looked the A/T was increasing thrust when you applied the speedbrake.

Am about to start a flight on Vatsim so cant test this right now. I did 5 missed approaches into Dubai in severe turbulence and didn't see this behavior.

Regards

I'm using "Realism Mode". I'll look in FSUIPC settings, maybe something wrong there

I'm using "Realism Mode". I'll look in FSUIPC settings, maybe something wrong there

Same here, in fact everything is pretty much default except for my visibility settings. 

@Kostas - Thanks for the info, my ASN is networked to a laptop. Just had a look at the debug window, great stuff.

Rob Prest

Hi all,

this is a very interesting discussion. What is noticeable from the 2 videos is the constant changes in the angle of attack (due to the turbulence obviously). It might be worth rechecking the same scenario with the option "enhance turbulence" unchecked in ASN options. 

Second, at least in the second video there was a storm and depending on precipitation rate (and winds and terrain etc), ASN constantly adjusts the updraft downdraft ratio. It seems to me that in this approach you may have been in a constant 300 to 400 fpm downdraft situation. You can also check this using ASN debug window (look for a negative VS there). I am not talking about windshear here. Just pure precip related downdraft. You can set the max downdraft rate to zero in ASN settings and retest this scenario.

One other thing I've noticed is that several aircrafts behave differently in the case of a downdraft, but in most cases you get a pitch up attitude change (it's part of the aircraft "self balance" design). I don't know if this is related to the response of the AT in the T7, but it makes sense that the aircraft may try to compensate for restoring stability and balance, while ASN tries to "destroy" it in the first place :) 

Thank you very much for the info! I'll test it tomorrow 

I've made a test with PMDG 737 and Aerosoft A320. The 737 is pretty like the 777. But there are no problems with the A320 at all. 

Then i unchecked "enhance turbulence" option as Kostas said and things got better. Now i can reach Vref speed and get stabilized  :Applause: Thanks to Kostas  :im Not Worthy:

Anyway the PMDG's are too sensetive to the turbulence, have to be careful when such conditions exist   :Nerd:

Just had the most fun ever in a simulator  :biggrin:   Flew a circuit around Dubai with a custom created ASN severe turbulence theme. 

You guy's are correct, in the PMDG 777 it doesn't matter how much you prepare, the A/T is fighting you the whole way in.  

No way would you continue an approach like that in real life!  Landing in those conditions with the PMDG 777 most definitely untick enhanced turbulence or keep the A/T off.

I'm off to fly another circuit! EZDOK DHM enhances the turbulence effects perfectly   :smile:

Rob Prest

So, can we assume that the "enhance turbulence" option in ASN is over-exaggerated? (Is that a word? :huh: )

Then i unchecked "enhance turbulence" option as Kostas said and things got better.

Did you still notice the turbulence effect on the ASI and the plane in general?

Did you still notice the turbulence effect on the ASI and the plane in general?

Yes, everything is ok, there is no loss of feeling of the turbulence :)

Rob, the 737 does the same thing, AT lives his own life and nothing you can do unless you disengage it :)