Sign in to follow this  
ABE

GPSOUT

Anybody using GPSOUT with FS2004? I am using, it runs ok, except after a while, I get an error about memory going lower and lower.Does the null modem cable connection suck up the memory? Somebody told me that adding 2 extra serial ports connected via a null modem cable is bad for the system. If so any other solution?Would appreciate and feedback.Thanks.Abe

Hi Vassilis,Thanks for replying.I am using Ms. Mappoint 2004. Which runs fine with a nullmodem cable connected to 2 serial ports. What happens is that after a while of runnilng perfectly, I get the message that memory is running low. Like I mentioned, somebody told me that using an additional PCI card with 2 serial ports and a nullmodem cable depletes power and makes it unstable (which is what I am experiencing). By the way I have 1 Gig of ram using P4 2.0.Would appreciate further input.Thanks.Abe

Guest ponyboy

I'm Using the GPS out with MS MapPoint 2002 and have never seen that error message (for around 6 months of use) and I take some pretty long flights (latest was LAX to Hawaii 5+ hours).Which PC is giving the error message? FS2004 PC or the MapPoint PC? Don't have any answers but just curious.

Guest Larry_KMSO

I usually run M$ Streets and Trips (MS S&T), fed with GPSOut, on a second computer (which also runs ActiveSky2004.5, Flight Tracker, WideFS, and a DVD drive full of approach charts). MS S&T receives it's input through a null modem cable connected from my main FS2004 PC to the aux computer's COM1: port. Never any memory leakage problems or crashes such as you describe.The only part I dislike is that the icon in M$ Streets and Trips shows as an "automobile" and doesn't reflect the direction of travel either through dropping "crumbs" or through the orientation of the icon. The price for the 2003 version (about US$ 13 about a year ago) was excellent, however. A real bargain considering it's parentage. And of course, the other downside is that the coverage is USA/Canada only.If someone out there has a copy of the NEMA 2.0 spec that they would like to loan me, I always wanted to write a version of GPSOut that would read FSUIPC/WideFS and somehow make MS S&T think the input came via the COM1: port. (This last would probably be the harder part to write). In this way, there is would be one less .dll running on the main FS computer in that the input for MS S&T would be generated by reading WideFS on the aux. computer. Larry

Guest UweR

Hi, have you searched for newer drivers for your PCI cards? Most of us seem to utilize the standard COM ports of our machines with GPSout, thus we don

Thank you guys very much for replying.Here is my setup:1 computer P4 2.0g1 gig memory2 monitors ....#1=FS2004.........#2=Mappoint 2004ATI RADEON 8500DV ALL-IN-WONDER2 serial ports........1 scanner......2 modemTo use the GPSout software I needed 2serial ports connected together with a nullmodem cable.So I put in an additional PCI card with 2 serial ports and connected them with the cable.The whole setup works fine and mappoint tracks the aircraft on the map very nicely (except like somebody mentioned, it shows as a car-icon (would love to be able to change that to an aircraft-icon)).The thing is that after about an hour or so of flying I start getting a memory error, and eventually freezes. I never got that error prior to adding the serial card.My question is again. Does the addition of an extra PCI card with 2 additional serial ports connected together by cable cause extra usage of memory? Anybody knows if this could be true?Thanks again guys, would appreciate any help.Abe

Guest UweR

Hi,finally I understand, you use one computer only and loop back the signal."Does the addition of an extra PCI card with 2 additional serial ports connected together by cable cause extra usage of memory? Anybody knows if this could be true?"No saying, each machine reacts differently. It may well be, but I don

Guest JeanLuc_

Uwe, what would be a reasonable price for this feature? :-)

Guest UweR

We should redirect that question to Abe! :-)Seriously, though, for those who have a GPS capable program at hands (MS Auto Route, OziExplorer, Fugawi, Touratech...) and a second monitor something like this driver may be suitable.

Hi again, UWE, thanks for replying."Have you tried to use one or both of the two fixed ports on your system with the null modem cable, and the PCI card for your other serial connections? This would help a lot diagnosing your problem. I

Guest Bassy

>Hello ABE,>>I'm using GPSout with Garmin GPS Map 196 in FS9 connected to a>USB port with no problems at all. What's your GPS device? >Perhaps you could find better support at Peter Dowson's>support forum.>>http://forums.simflight.com/viewforum.php?f=54>>VassilisHello Vassilis,I have a PocketPC as well but no serial port, only usb.How did you configure the usb out to the ppc?Thanks,Bassy

Hi, Bassy.My PocketPC has a Serial port, 3955, and the GPS Out is designed to work with a Com / Serial port. I do, use a lap top that only has USB Ports with other Moving Map software, interfaced to an Etrex and my Aviation GPS, that only has a Serial out, in order to get it to work I had to buy a Serial to USB converter. You can find them at CCity, BBuy, Staples etc. about $30.00 US. TV

Guest Bassy

>Hi, Bassy.>My PocketPC has a Serial port, 3955, and the GPS Out is>designed to work with a Com / Serial port. I do, use a lap top>that only has USB Ports with other Moving Map software,>interfaced to an Etrex and my Aviation GPS, that only has a>Serial out, in order to get it to work I had to buy a Serial>to USB converter. You can find them at CCity, BBuy, Staples>etc. about $30.00 US. TVThanks, I am going to try that.