Sign in to follow this  
barryoo

Come on guys and girls work this out.

I really like the Orbix scenery but Orbx is a litter bug that creates to many loaded garbage programs on my computer. You folks are a smart bunch; can't you create something similar to a single library program that loads into the users computer systems and security center to replace the dozen or so Orbx programs that allow people, other animal, Mosquitoes, and probably fish to flow?

Rather than complain about the "litter bug", you could take responsibility for your own computer and FSX install. None of the "garbage programs" load into FSX unless you say it's OK. You did do that, correct? Tell FSX to Run and Trust the "garbage programs"?

So I suggest you open your FSX.cfg file and delete all the trusted entries that load the "garbage programs" and save the CFG file. Next time you start FSX it will ask you if you want to load the "garbage programs" or not. Therefore, you gain personal responsibility for what goes on in your FSX and will celebrate being so empowered!

Go to the ORBX Support Forum and suggest it to them.  Not too many folks from the ORBX Team come to this forum, and if they do, they don't come to often, as they're busy on their forum answering questions and fixing/developing software.

Rod

Rod Beck

You can turn off almost all of the 'flows'. But you obviously needed some 'guys and girls' to work that one out for you.  :rolleyes: 

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Hello:

You may wish to simply manage your default and 3rd party add-on modules (*.DLL) and *.EXE files via this FS utility:

ModuleToolX 0.4

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=moduletoolx_0.4.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

Set both 'Disabled' and 'Manual Load' to "True" to prevent loading / prompting to run

Set 'Disabled' to "False" and 'Manual Load' to "True" to allow loading / prompting to run at FS startup

NOTE: At FS startup module prompt, say "No" to allow running only this session

CAVEAT: At FS startup module prompt, if "Yes" is chosen, FS internally sets 'Manual Load' to "True" for that particular module, and you will no longer be prompted regarding permission to load that module at FS startup.

FYI: You can still use ModuleTool X to manually edit your choice made at the FS startup module prompt later if you wish.

Hope this helps ! :smile:

GaryGB

I was thinking about the Orbx programs that everyone can find in windows START- CONTROL PANEL - PROGRAMS uninstall. Orbx seems to add a program to this list for nearly every payware airport that they make and each of these programs seem to repeat most of the object flow, etc. instructions over and over again.. It is my understanding that each of these programs load into the Windows operating environment at startup. Each of these programs also take up memory before, during, and after anyone ever decides to start their flight simulator program.

Would it not be better for ORBX to simply create a single program that combines all of these airport instructions in one. I doubt that every Orbx scenery programmer creates their own original event code for each airport they develop. They more likely use a group of Intel, Orbx, whoever runtime routines to made their scenerys work.

Hello:

You may wish to simply manage your default and 3rd party add-on modules (*.DLL) and *.EXE files via this FS utility:

ModuleToolX 0.4

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=moduletoolx_0.4.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

Set both 'Disabled' and 'Manual Load' to "True" to prevent loading / prompting to run

Set 'Disabled' to "False" and 'Manual Load' to "True" to allow loading / prompting to run at FS startup

NOTE: At FS startup 'Manual Load' module prompt, say "No" to allow running only this session

CAVEAT: At FS startup module prompt, if "Yes" is chosen, FS internally sets 'Manual Load' to "False" for that particular module, and you will no longer be prompted regarding permission to load that module at FS startup.

FYI: You can still use ModuleTool X to manually edit your choice made at the FS startup module prompt later if you wish.

Hope this helps ! :smile:

GaryGB

Hi again:

I corrected the "copy and paste" error overlooked in my original prior post above.

I was thinking about the Orbx programs that everyone can find in windows START- CONTROL PANEL - PROGRAMS uninstall. Orbx seems to add a program to this list for nearly every payware airport that they make and each of these programs seem to repeat most of the object flow, etc. instructions over and over again.. It is my understanding that each of these programs load into the Windows operating environment at startup. Each of these programs also take up memory before, during, and after anyone ever decides to start their flight simulator program.

Would it not be better for ORBX to simply create a single program that combines all of these airport instructions in one. I doubt that every Orbx scenery programmer creates their own original event code for each airport they develop. They more likely use a group of Intel, Orbx, whoever runtime routines to made their scenerys work.

I know what you're talking about - not the modules within FSX but the programs it drops on to the desktop. For instance:

FTX Aero

FTX Day

FTX Day Lights

FTX Night

FTX Night Lights

FTX Central

Plus programs for every airport.

It would be nice to centralize all of it within FTX Central, similar to what UK VFR Airports does - you can set static aircraft, ground polygons and traffic for each airport or for all of them within a single interface. It really helps to keep it all organized, rather than separate apps for each FTX airport.

Hello:

IIIUC, Possibly you may be concerned about the OrbX FTX "Flow" / animation modules persisting in memory after FSX exits, and / or fragmenting memory to reduce available "contiguous" address space ? :Confused:

AFAIK, that type of *.DLL module in its current form (as with most modules and gauges for FS) is coded to run within the Windows User Virtual Address Space (aka "USERVA") allocated to the FSX task session as a "Child Process" of FSX itself; as such, it is intended to exit memory entirely when FSX itself exits memory.

And Windows by default (eventually) removes unused *.DLLs which may still be left in memory when not immediately cleared out by the "Garbage Collector" functions of a program Task Session which has exited (except when such *.DLLs are specifically coded to remain in memory... and most FS add-on modules and gauges are NOT coded to stay memory resident after FSX exits). :wink:

BTW: Most Orbx FTX utility applets (which are intended to be directly run by end users) are accessible via the FTX Central GUI, so if you wish to disable the OrbX FTX "Flow" / animation modules for a particular airport, you can do so from the "Control Panel" for the payware airport within FTX Central.

However, I believe you are correct that the "Control Panel" applets for FTX "payware airports" within FTX Central do not presently allow one to disable the OrbX FTX "Flow" / animation modules which may be in use controlling such objects if / when  they may be "placed" at various locations with the scenery area of Orbx FXT "Region" packs... but outside the area covered by payware airports.

So, again, if you want to disable (some or all) OrbX FTX "Flow" / animation modules, the easiest way (IMHO) to do so is via the GUI in "Module Tool X" ...as described above. :Idea:

NOTE: The current mechanism used for playing environmental sounds in your OrbX FTX scenery should not be affected by turning off OrbX FTX "Flow" / animation modules (unless certain sounds are "attached" to the OrbX FTX "Flow" / animation objects themselves inside the 3D MDL file during creation).

FYI: As far as any impact on performance from having OrbX FTX "Flow" / animation modules running, whereas the earlier releases of those *.DLL files cost about 5-7 FPS, recent versions seem to be more FPS efficient.

IIRC, the actual MDL code for the animations is packaged inside standard format FSX SimObject 3D scenery object library BGL files.

The OrbX FTX "Flow" / animation modules simply perform scheduled 'control' of when the objects / effects within the above BGL files are actually allowed to display (via FSX SimConnect), based on instructions inside accompanying *.XML files... so the impact on FPS is not excessive on most modern computers being used for running FSX.

Hope this helps put a few things into perspective for those curious about this. :smile:

GaryGB

Almost any FSX related module or program will only be loaded after the primary FSX.exe has been executed. Anything else would be inefficient and unnecessary to say the least.