Sign in to follow this  
brynjames

FS9 & Win 98

Does this combo work well or should I use the newest operating system?Will FPS be increased with a new operating system?Getting a new computer as wellJimCYWG

I use FS2004 and Windows 98se and get along fine. HOWEVER, the operating system is no longer supported and many new addons are not made for it. I would go to Windows XP at this time. Good luck.

I agree--go with XP. Also, with a new system on the way, most drivers are written around XP these days, so Win 98 support could be iffy.-John

Guest chyair

Jim,I just upgraded from 98SE to XP. I have been using 98SE for about 1.5 years with FS9 and had no major problems with it although I did have several lockups and crashes. This may have something to do with me updating my drivers to the latest, etc (sometimes, 98SE does not like the new drivers) rather than FS9. I did not upgrade to XP because 98SE was giving me problems. However, if I were looking to buy a new OS right now, I would buy the XP instead of 98SE.Good Luck.

>I use FS2004 and Windows 98se and get along fine. HOWEVER,>the operating system is no longer supported and many new>addons are not made for it. I would go to Windows XP at this>time.I think MS changed their minds and agreed to continue Win98 support for some time because of other program delays; certainly critical updates still appear for 98. I agree that XP is the only way to go if you are starting out from scratch, but if you have some legacy hardware (i.e. state-of-the-art from a couple of years ago!) you may find there are no XP drivers for it. My old machine is staying on 98SE, my next build will definitely be XP - I wonder if I'll ever get the scanner to work. Decisions, decisions.--Bryn

My homebuilt cockpit runs FS2004 on two graphics cards, three monitors, sound card, three USB hubs, Go-Flight modules, home-made throttle using a Gameport-to-USB converter, yoke, rudder pedals, Hagstrom Elecronics Keyboard Encoder plus a few more bits and pieces.Windows 98 First Edition handles all of this without a problem. Not a freeze-up or CTD in sight. Everything turned up full. :-)I did try both WinXP Home and Pro over several months but it couldn't handle it at all (drove me insane - never got to finish even one flight) so I can sympathise with all those who are having technical problems trying to run it on XP. :-(Athlon 64 3500+Abit AV8 3rd Eye MoboMSI GeForce FX5900XT (61.76)512MB Crucial PC3200 RAM

Excellent insight gentleman. I will let you know.JimCYWG

I had enough parts to build a second machine after a hardware upgrade. If my legacy photo stuff (about $1,000 new) will not work under XP, then with the two machines (now networked, one on 98SE the other to be XP) I'll simply scan on number two to a shared folder and edit on number one.I use an external serial port modem so if either machine dies I can still do Internet stuff on the other by using a 25 pin a/b switch.All you need for connection if you wish to forego a switch/hub is a crossover Ethernet cable.

Funny--my legacy photo tools (among others a large print ISA scanner) are the same reason I still run Windows 98. I've had so many other priorities--illness, remodelling the house, and getting a SPL/purchasing an aircraft, that my computer has been on the low rung of to the totem pole for the past few years. I won't upgrade until I have the time and focus to do it right. -John

i used to run it under win98se,but switched back to fs2k2,but i've since upgraded to XP pro,and fs2004.it gave me a performance gain.if you tweak XP right,it'll be much better i think,it is for me anyway.tataJP.