Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

Windowed mode or Full Screen mode?

Just curious to find out what all you simmers prefer flying in,i.e the windowed mode where you can see the options on the top or full screen mode a "alt enter" modeinteresting as i saw about a 50%+ frame rate improvement going from Windowed to Full Screen, also the jerkyness reduced considerably,i'm using a Leadtek GForce FX6600 128meg card with the latest drivers, didnt know going from windowed to full screen can give you so much better performance.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest Alphahawk3

I have read many articles on here about this issue. Every article I have read states that frame rates will increase. On my system it is just the opposite. Frame rates go down dramaticaly. I have ATI 300 PCI Express, 3ghz processor, 512 meg of ram.

Guest shanwick

Same for me as well - performance is significantly reduced in windowed mode.David

Running FS in full screen mode means the graphics adapter can use 3D mode. Windowed mode means 2D only.In many cases, 2D perfoms better because of the reduced time needed to compute and render the picture.I for my part don't know exactly how 2D and 3D modes of a graphics adapter differ, I can only suppose what that means (need to google around a bit to find some detailed information).Andrea

Guest ThrottleUp

Me too. FPS drop in full-screen mode!

>Running FS in full screen mode means the graphics adapter can>use 3D mode. Windowed mode means 2D only.No, sorry, but this is absolutely wrong.Beginning with DirectX 8, 3D hardware acceleration is available in either full-screen or windowed mode. That's what makes it possible to open a second 3D outside view, undock it (it then resides in its own window), and even move it to a secondary monitor while still rendering in 3D.RegardsBob

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I "suspect" that people who experience different FPS for windowed and full screen modes are running the 2 modes in 2 different screen resolutions. Check that the resolution (both res size and number of bits) of your desktop is the same as that dialled up in the Fsim.Barry

Good point Barrybut i have 2 monitors attached to the card mentioned below, one 21" monitor running FS2004 and the other 17" running 2D programs like PMDG737 FMC and Squawkbox, the 17" is in 1024 x 768 and the 21" is in 1024 x 1280, would this slow the computer down in windowed mode?

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram