Sign in to follow this  
OggyAv8er

FSX and PMDG 777 not working well on new iMac

Hi,

I'm a 777 pilot and thought it would be a handy training/revision tool to add the FSX software and PMDG 777 to my new iMac.

I'm running VMWARE fusion with windows 7, but haven't been able get anywhere near the level of graphics I'd hoped.

The cockpit graphics are blurred and I can only operate switches because I know what should be there.

I've tried altering the visual settings, but have not seen any improvement.

If anyone has experience enough to advise me I'd be most grateful.

It's easier flying the real thing!

Hi  cant help you in your issue  you have  but next  time   don't hit  the post button more  than 1 time otherwise you will get 16 double post as you have  just done :)

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Morning

I've VMware fusion but haven't used it for sim/gaming.

The best way to get performance from your iMac is to use Apple's Bootcamp and install windows 7 in a partition. I did that when I got into simming first, the performance is very good and the 27" screen is brilliant.

Kind regards

Jason Jackett

I'm running VMWARE fusion with windows 7, but haven't been able get anywhere near the level of graphics I'd hoped.

You'll never get anything resembling good performance with FSX + detailed add-ons using a VM. The only real option is to dual-boot both OS X and Windows 7, for which I believe Macs have boot camp as an option.

It is a lot of work to maintain an extra installation, but the benefits vastly outweigh the extra effort IMO.

Using VMWARE for FSX and the 777 is not your answer. The best way to run FDSX and the 777 is using a Bootcamp partition. That is the way I have my iMac setup and it works as perfectly &@($* FSX will allow.

Thanks guys, all I need to figure out now is where to get a windows 7 os to download. The Microsoft site is just offering windows 8, is that a good option? I thought it had to be a 64bit windows 7 system.

Sorry about the multiple posts, the TapaTalk iPhone app kept telling me the post had failed and to try again. Gotta love apple :)

Do not get Windows 8 under any circumstance, its worse than trying to get VM and FSX to perform well. Buy Windows 7 on disk while you can still get it at a reasonable price and just use the key from it. As stock levels of W7 go down the price will go up so don't hang around, a quick Google for Windows 7 ISO should find you plenty of legal downloads links for the Windows 7 images, you use those with Bootcamp along with your bought disk key. Also don't waste your money on an OEM version either, get the retail version then you can move it to any future hardware you may buy.

Cheers, Andy.

Thanks guys, all I need to figure out now is where to get a windows 7 os to download. The Microsoft site is just offering windows 8, is that a good option? I thought it had to be a 64bit windows 7 system.

You could possibly use the same copy of windows you used for the VM, though I suspect you might have to de-register the one copy to be able to use the other. I do believe Microsoft had some scheme where a copy of windows could be (yes, legally) used in both a VM and on a physical machine so long as they are on the same computer, which would provide for an easy avenue for keeping both.

Otherwise, you could get windows 7 through a site such as Newegg.

I'm a Windows 8 simmer and, while I don't disagree that there are a few things that make 7 a slightly better option for simming,  by no means is Windows 8 as horrible as a couple posters here are alleging.  Ive been running with zero issues for over a year since I left W7

you might try TigerDirect; I was able to get a new copy of Win7 Professional for my Bootcamp partition on my iMac. Things work great!

Well it been nearly a week and I'm still no closer. Just installing windows has been a pain, I really hope it's worth the effort. All this for one specific program.

I couldn't install a 32 bit program on the iMac via boot camp.

So ended up buying a copy of windows 8 from Microsoft. $50 more from the UK as It wouldn't let me buy it from the us site!

Then because my old PC which I'd used to download is a 32 bit system it creates 32 bit windows which can't be installed on current iMacs!

One borrowed windows 8 64 bit laptop later and I'm two days trying to install windows 8 from Microsoft only to be told be Microsoft. You need to install windows 7 first. By the way here's a ISO copy!!!!'

I haven't had this tough a time since I left windows 5 years ago.

I really hope the PMDG program

Works as good as it looks.

:)

Well it been nearly a week and I'm still no closer. Just installing windows has been a pain, I really hope it's worth the effort. All this for one specific program.

I couldn't install a 32 bit program on the iMac via boot camp.

So ended up buying a copy of windows 8 from Microsoft. $50 more from the UK as It wouldn't let me buy it from the us site!

Then because my old PC which I'd used to download is a 32 bit system it creates 32 bit windows which can't be installed on current iMacs!

One borrowed windows 8 64 bit laptop later and I'm two days trying to install windows 8 from Microsoft only to be told be Microsoft. You need to install windows 7 first. By the way here's a ISO copy!!!!'

I haven't had this tough a time since I left windows 5 years ago.

I really hope the PMDG program

Works as good as it looks.

:)

You may consider building a budget build for FSX alone my system cost about $700 to build and I get 25fps at fsdreamteams KLAX in the 777 with rex and high graphics settings. 

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Update: eventually installed window 8.1. None of the legitimate copies from Microsoft would take via boot camp. So the local computer store managed to install 8.1 enterprise version, Evaluation copy.

Once this was installed the guys at Microsoft managed to convert this to a 8.1 home edition I'd paid for.

Then a dodgy cable from the disc drive caused another couple of days of headache loading FSX gold. Plus Helpdesk for new keys.

PMDG install was straight forward.

A quick test and it seems to work great, I wouldn't know how to compare it with a custom built PC.

Now I need to learn how to fly the Sim! I just can't face looking at a computer for a while yet :)

Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement.