Sign in to follow this  
Gridley

Planets and Stars

Planets may not be represented, but I wanted to make sure the topic wouldn't be confused with STARS :)Cleaning out my "really will do later" folder - 1500 files some dating back to FS98 - I found a March 2004 file stars.dat. There was no readme in the package. I think it is probably a replacement for the stars.dat which is found in the root of FS9, but I'm not sure.Does anyone have any more information about this file please? I've searched the file library without success, although I did find lots and lots of STARS.Thanks.--Bryn

Hello Bryn,If it is from March of 2004, then it is most probably the B314 Clipper file, as Bill indicated. Here is the accompanying text:Supplimentary Files for Boeing 314 - The ClipperCheck out http://www.b314clipper.com for this Project!Real Stars V1.0 for Flight Simulator 2002brought to you by PILOT'S GesmbHFile done by Norbert Pachner, Vienna.This patch comprises all stars visible for the naked eye, taken from theBRIGHT STAR CATALOGUE, 4TH EDITION, by Wayne H. Warren Jr., May 1982 (BSC4).The original catalogue is freely available from the Internet.By default, it displays 9095 stars, which is much more than FS2002 standard.You may edit the line NumStars=9095 in the file FS2002stars.dat to adaptthe number of displayed stars to your personal convenience:NumStars=1600 ; displays 1600 stars brighter than magnitude 5.0 NumStars=5025 ; displays 5025 stars brighter than magnitude 6.0 NumStars=9095 ; displays 9095 stars brighter than magnitude 7.0 Installation:Replace the file FS2002stars.dat by the attached version.Before you do so, make a backup copy of the original file, so you can get it back if you don't like the patch (You may also restore the original file from the cab-file FS2002.CAB on the Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 CD).This file is FREEWARE. However, there is the standard disclaimer: 1) Distribute UNALTERED only!2) Use at OWN RISK!Check out b314clipper.com for our newest Project!Email: steve@fly2pilots.comThere had also been a previous file by J. Chuang containing 4995 stars (stars_dat.zip).In addition, Chris Wright has a very nice little utility, AutoStar, that will show the planets, label the stars, display celestial circles, etc. He has provided a link to it here in the forum, so just search if you are interested.Best regards.Luis

Thanks guys for the very helpful response. Next time I'll copy the instructions too :)Time to brush up on my celestial navigation.--Bryn

Guest panda234

good post Bryn, now, thx to you, I'll get the stars. Ankles rubbing my ears, that's what I say is close. ...billg

>Planets may not be representedBe sure to check that link, Bryn...planets can be represented!

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)