Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

Real ATP Pilots Flying FS

Guest bobsk8

Since I purchased the Flight1 ATR, I have been a constant reader of the ATR Forum on the Flight 1 web site. There are more than a few Real ATR pilots that regularly fly the F1 ATR and contribute to the forum on a continual basis. It is often that a member of the forum asks a question about real ATR procedures and within a few hours, one of the Airline Pilots will respond with an answer, and somtimes a few of them will have an online discussion comparing procedures for their different airlines. I have been involved with MSFS for many years and don't ever remember this happening before. Anyone know of any other FS aircraft that has the interest amongst the RA jockeys?

Guest Peter Sidoli

BobI can rememeber when I started my involvement at AVSIM there appeared to be only a handful of us so called real world pilots who participated in the forums.That balance has changed dramatically and there are some very high calibre real world pilots who post and that is very humbling.The level of real world PPLs has increased dramatically and this can only be good for the product.Real world pilots know what they want to see from the sim and can compare it to what they see real world.Like me they tend to be a very "unsatisfiable" Lot :-)Peter

Guest bobsk8

>Bob>>I can rememeber when I started my involvement at AVSIM there>appeared to be only a handful of us so called real world>pilots who participated in the forums.>>That balance has changed dramatically and there are some very>high calibre real world pilots who post and that is very>humbling.>>The level of real world PPLs has increased dramatically and>this can only be good for the product.>>Real world pilots know what they want to see from the sim and>can compare it to what they see real world.>>Like me they tend to be a very "unsatisfiable" Lot :-)>>PeterI agree, but I was more interested in the number of Airline Pilots ( ATP's) that fly particular aircraft.

The fact that real pilots (both airline and GA) choose to spend time both using FS and contributing to this and other forums is a fine testament to both Microsoft for an excellant product and the vast community of simmers that make it even better.

Guest B52Drivr

Hello All, Well, let's see here. There are alot of real world professional pilots here now, both Military, commericial and such because lots of us are getting OLDER and some of us, (your's truly) can no longer pass the medical for certain aircraft. You see, the FAA has little or NO sense of humor with it comes to silly little medical issues.OH, don't get me started, how can a dept of the govt both support the US airline industry and police it at the same time? beats me! But they make the rules, boys and girls, and there sure are some silly ones to go with all the real important ones too.Being that FS is the ONLY flying I get now, (other than a few of my friends feeling sorry for me and taking me up and letting me play once we're out of Uncle Whiskers keen eye), I tend to fly what I like and know . . .which means, since I'm a bit older, its some of the older stuff. Then again, it does give some of you young pups a chance to jump on some 'real' aircraft, and have to 'fly' something rather than just program an FMC. (no flames, please, I was smiling when I wrote that), and gives you a chance to wrestle around in a 'flying machine' rather than ride in a computer assisted aluminum tube.OK, OK, I love some of the new stuff, and perhaps I'm just a bit tweeked that they didn't have all that marvelous stuff when I was doing my thing, but then again, now I would have nothing to complain about.There are times when FS does get old, and boreing, but then I have to find a way to reinvent it a wee bit . . . use more old procedures that FS has gotten me away from and get it a bit more real, or go some place where I usually don't fly.Lastly, if done right, FS does let you practice some real world procedures and hone your craft with less time and expense.Best,Clayhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"

Guest bobsk8

>Hello All, >>Well, let's see here. There are alot of real world>professional pilots here now, both Military, commericial and>such because lots of us are getting OLDER and some of us,>(your's truly) can no longer pass the medical for certain>aircraft. You see, the FAA has little or NO sense of humor>with it comes to silly little medical issues.>>OH, don't get me started, how can a dept of the govt both>support the US airline industry and police it at the same>time? beats me! But they make the rules, boys and girls, and>there sure are some silly ones to go with all the real>important ones too.>>Being that FS is the ONLY flying I get now, (other than a few>of my friends feeling sorry for me and taking me up and>letting me play once we're out of Uncle Whiskers keen eye), I>tend to fly what I like and know . . .which means, since I'm a>bit older, its some of the older stuff. Then again, it does>give some of you young pups a chance to jump on some 'real'>aircraft, and have to 'fly' something rather than just>program an FMC. (no flames, please, I was smiling when I>wrote that), and gives you a chance to wrestle around in a>'flying machine' rather than ride in a computer assisted>aluminum tube.>>OK, OK, I love some of the new stuff, and perhaps I'm just a>bit tweeked that they didn't have all that marvelous stuff>when I was doing my thing, but then again, now I would have>nothing to complain about.>>There are times when FS does get old, and boreing, but then I>have to find a way to reinvent it a wee bit . . . use more old>procedures that FS has gotten me away from and get it a bit>more real, or go some place where I usually don't fly.>>Lastly, if done right, FS does let you practice some real>world procedures and hone your craft with less time and>expense.>>Best,>>Clay>http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpg>>Clayton T. Dopke (Clay)>Major, USAF (retired)>"Drac"Very good friend of mine in South Florida about 25 years ago was a retired B-52 Instructor. I took him flying one day in a C-152 ( half full of fuel cause we were both 6'2" ) and I let him fly one of the landings. Had to grab the controls when he tried to flare about 40 feet off the ground ....... Guess that B-52 was a bit higher.. ;)I fly around in my Freeware Connie quite a bit, check it out, not alot of automatic stuff in it, other than the GPS they stuck in it for the young folks... http://fsdzigns.com/I'm in the same boat and lost my medical , so Sim flying and the occasional ride someone gives me is about it, but it's still fun....

Guest B52Drivr

Bob,Yep, the cockpit of a 'Buff' is a tad higher off the ground than a Cessna . And, old habits die hard.As for the Connie, I did a video on that bird . . . in my opinion it is perhaps the most beautiful aircraft that anyone has created in real life.I understand the guys at fsdzigns are updating thier version -- will be nice to see the new offering.Best,Clayhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"

Real world and FS before taking off sitting on the runway where usually there is a "clear" horizon in front of you I develop a "sight picture" of the planes attitude and a reference point before leaving the ground. This helps to determine the image of how much and when to flare on landing. (Not much help on water, BTW.)