Sign in to follow this  
seehunt

# 2 VOR, why it will and won't capture radials

Hi, I'm trying to understand why the # 2 GNS 530's VOR will sometimes capture an intercepted

radial and sometimes not.

I do understand u cannot use the # 2 VOR for ILS....only the # 1 VOR.  Is there a Rule Of Thumb about the # 2 VOR that would explain my initial question ?

Thanks,

Seehunt

Give us a step by step how you are capturing an intercepted radial.

Are you asking why the AUTOPILOT captures this?  To the BEST of my knowledge it doesn't.

Are you asking why you sometimes SEE the #2 POINTER or A Pointer on the main  HSI pointing at another ground VOR?

Reason Im asking is because the #2 530 is really not acting as you would think.  It is really (more or less) just a second version of the first with a few extra goodies.

Respectfully,

Jet

Let me put it this way: the King Air B200 has 2 Garmin GNS 530's.   You can intercept and capture vor radials and ILS ones with the # 1 ( primary)  GNS 530.    But, can you intercept and capture VOR radials with the # 2 GNS 530 ?

By that I mean u dial the freq in the GNS 530 and then select the radial using the course selector in the A/P panel and then steer towards selected radial with "NAV"  button engaged on the A/P panel.  You will then get a capture as you approach / pass over the selected radial.

We normally use  the primary ( #1 ) GNS 530 to do the above....and my question is" can the 2nd GNS 530 do the same ?

Thanks for the get back on this post,Jetblst.

Seehunt

Ah ok, I understand your question.

As it turns out Carenado really did their homework on this.  YES you can in fact us GNS 530 # 2 with the autopilot, just as you do with GNS 530 #1

I am using KMSP LOC RNWY 22 for my example here.  I even test flew the approach to make it look like I know what I am talking about.  LOL

In this image you can see I have #1 set to MSP VOR @ 115.30.  I have #2 set for KMSP LOC RNWY 22 @ 110.50

CNADOB2001_zpsafb130db.png

What you need to know is that in order to ACCESS the #2 530 you will have to set the Flight Director to TRANSFER, or XFR from #2.

NOTE in the following image above the Course Selector Knob on where one of the three options is XFR.  Right click or Left click on the mouse to move that switch by the way.  You want it in XFR Mode.

Then you must push the CRS SEL Button to select between the NAV Source.  In this case it will be between VOR1 and VOR2.  The idea would be to say track a VOR radial inbound on a certain COURSE to then Intercept an ILS COURSE.  All you would have to do is push the CRS SEL button to switch then between Nav1 and Nav1.

IN THIS CASE.  I set it up where all I did was to push the CRS SEL Button to select NAV2 for the HSI, and on the Flight Director I selected XFR so as to tell tell the FD/AP to use 530 #2 for the Localizer.

CNADOB2002_zps028b8a86.png

You can also then switch between the two 530s for Long Range Navigation (LNAV) or GPS source as well.

If my post is clear as mud, just use the switches I mentioned, and your known airport, nav aids etc it will make sense rather quick.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the get back on this post,Jetblst.

You bet!  Hope that helped!

Respectfully,

Jet