Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Prepar3D 2.2 Developer Blog

OK, I just read through it and the autogen improvements are exciting. Trees are going to use much less VAS, more work has been moved to background threads and the GPU, plus if I understood correctly, progressive LOD scaling (like in FSX) is back while retaining the pop-free method.

I'll remain a little cautious in case this patch breaks things again, but it seems like a great step in the right direction.

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm not getting my hopes up ... that even these improvements will stop certain people from complaining.  ^_^

The blog is also interesting in that LM claims to have reduced VAS usage substantially. That should keep the "64 bit club" pacified for at least a few weeks.

Seriously, P3d users suffer from the hangover of FSX tweaking. At some point, one has to realize that the purpose of the app is to fly and not fiddle. 

I'm not getting my hopes up ... that even these improvements will stop certain people from complaining.

Sad - but unfortunately SO true.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Still no SLI implementation...  Makes me wonder if we will ever get it.  I see no reason why you add support for Oculus if your software will not achieve 60fps on no less than a Titan (single card).

Still no SLI implementation...  Makes me wonder if we will ever get it.  I see no reason why you add support for Oculus if your software will not achieve 60fps on no less than a Titan (single card).

I'd prefer if they worked on CPU performance before adding SLI/CrossFire support. Prepar3D 2.1 is CPU-limited (or actually Core1-limited) because of the autogen, but now that they're moving more of it on the GPU (as well as adding cloud shadows) they're creating a need for more graphics horsepower which is going to justify SLI/CrossFire support in a future patch.

And yes, they've confirmed again that we will get it. Don't worry about that.

I'd prefer if they worked on CPU performance before adding SLI/CrossFire support. Prepar3D 2.1 is CPU-limited (or actually Core1-limited) because of the autogen, but now that they're moving more of it on the GPU (as well as adding cloud shadows) they're creating a need for more graphics horsepower which is going to justify SLI/CrossFire support in a future patch.

And yes, they've confirmed again that we will get it. Don't worry about that.

That's a good thing I guess..

Not sure why they would add the features before enabling the horsepower though.

Not sure why they would add the features before enabling the horsepower though.

Because the autogen system, which was terribly optimised, was a big show-stopper for many people (low performance and very easy to get OOMs). They obviously proceeded to fix the more pressing issues first.

I'm just saying, if they tried to implement SLI/CrossFire support before moving more autogen workload to the GPU and adding cloud shadows, it would be less justified to add SLI/CrossFire support because you would still be CPU-limited, and working on both at the same time would delay the patch a lot when there's a really pressing issue to fix (OOMs).

This list looks great to me, I can't wait to try the new build.

I just ordered an Oculus Rift DK2 for X-plane, Rfactor 2, Asseto Corsa, and now this.

Very happy right now.

More information on SLI/CrossFire from Wes Bard:

Regarding SLI and Crossfire, there is still some more work for us to do, if you run it in SLI it will definitely run better than it did before, but we don't want to officially say we're ready to rock and roll here til we've had the chance to completely finish the job there.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=6173.2

This list looks great to me, I can't wait to try the new build.

I just ordered an Oculus Rift DK2 for X-plane, Rfactor 2, Asseto Corsa, and now this.

Very happy right now.

How would you know that Oculus DK2 will certainly work for Xplane? According to Luckey Palmer that game porting don't always work.

How would you know that Oculus DK2 will certainly work for Xplane? According to Luckey Palmer that game porting don't always work.

I don't know for sure, but Austin has posted that he is working on compatibility.  We will see when I get it.

Looking forward to the cloud shadows. I would love to see the cockpit fall under cloud shadows and back into glaring sun on a partly cloudy day!