Sign in to follow this  
conura

Tuning X-Plane from a worst case scenario perspective

Hey all,

I have spent the afternoon tuning the sim so that in the worst case scenario (Flying over central London/Heathrow area) with poor weather and lots of clouds in a complex airliner my FPS dips down to 26 (but averages 30 in this scenario).

Is this a good minimum to aim for? I'm basically trying to avoid the point I've heard of where the engine breaks down and the flight model stops functioning. I get about 35-45fps usually, but as I say, it can drop to 26 in highly complex large cities.

Any advice about targets etc for the optimal balance of graphics / performance?

You're lucky not to drop below 19 fps (which I consider my bare minimum) , you're getting great fps in that scenario.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Alexander Colka

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your input - I have hdr switched off so perhaps I should enable it...I just don't see a huge difference!

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your input - I have hdr switched off so perhaps I should enable it...I just don't see a huge difference!

Try flying at night and then tell us again B)

Jan

Try flying at night and then tell us again B)

Jan

True but it drops to about 23fps with it on! At what point does the flight model break down? Is it below 20fps?

True but it drops to about 23fps with it on! At what point does the flight model break down? Is it below 20fps?

I think the limit used to be 19fps - but you can go around that by forcing the flight-model code to execute more than once per flightloop. That way you can fly with fps lower than that.

I think 19 is the lowest that X-Plane will show, though. And I personally can´t enjoy even the nicest scenery once framerate goes below 25 or so...

Jan

HDR will kill ya... I typically see 15-20 in big cities with payware and OSM data.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |