Sign in to follow this  
Guest Charlie Hall

Could Sound Card Cause a CTD?

Guest 727Fan

I've been trying to discover the source of my CTDs in FS9.One notion is the sound card, a Soundblaster Audigy DF80.I have noticed problems with how the ATC sound is handled.Clear and normal ATC routines suddenly break-up, as if the plug-in on my box is coming out. A quick "pause," then "unpause" of the P keysolves the problem, but only temporarily. This effect can occurr 3-4 times during the course of a flight session.I've also noticed the correct stereo-effect sound from FS2K2 (sound moves left to right as I pan left to right) is missing in FS9. Sound in FS9 can increase as I pan in one direction, and diminish as I pan in another. This is with a twin engine and listening from the VC.I'm just wondering if the CTDs are being caused by a hardware malfunction, and not AFCAD2 or an aircraft in the aircraft folder in the game. Perhaps FS2K2 would tolerate this, but FS9 will not.Any thoughts?My drivers are 4 years old. Thanks!!Rick

Guest Charlie Hall

I don't think the sound card or its drivers would cause a CTD but there are things you could try to improve the sound. First I think there should be a later driver from the Creative site. I installed the relevent version for my SBLive card and many problems with the sound are gone. You only need to install the drivers, not the whole package, but you have to download the whole package first. During the install you should be given a choice but to do that you might need to select manual installation or something similar, I forget exactly now. The stereo sound could be more to do with the way the sound files are written but this isn't likely to be a problem with a stock aircraft. Many add on sounds are not properly set up or are perhaps more suitable for older versions of FS. I think the CTD problem is more likely to do with one or more of your settings too high or any add ons not configured properly. You can check your AfCad files (if you have added any) by temporarily removing them to a folder that FS cannot read, then try running FS a while, if it's OK, then replace a few files at a time and test until you narrow down the problem file(s).

Guest jjeff1945

I have the same problem in fs9. I have the latest Creativelabs audio card and it works great in all areas, but no stereo sounds in external view when panning. I do have perfect stereo engine start ups from all my engines that I set up in stereo with Fs sound panel.But no panning from left to right with just one engine on. Example Front #1 engine running, sound is in the right speaker as I wanted it from viewing from the front of the plane, when engine 2 (left side) starts it is in my left speaker as I wanted. But when I pan around my plane there is no stereo panning at all. The right front engine when viewed from behind the plane sound stays in the right speaker instead fo it moving to the left speaker. Your sound card is not the problem it is the crappy Fs9 sound design and there is no fix at least from me as I do not know how to read there source code.

Interesting problem, if you got some good responces maybe this will answer my situation as well...somehow I have lost engine sounds in some planes and the Dreamfleet 36 and 58 sound goes in reverse, more throttle, less volume?? obviously something is screwed up, but checed the drivers for onboard card (Gigabyte MB, brand new to support the Core 2 processor) and all the help menus say all is well?? If someone out there has a idea, sure would listen....thanks B42L8