Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

Question on water textures

Guest nattydread

Correct me if im wrong, but it seems the water model and textures in FS9 are optimized for viewing at altitude. If this is true, are there any mods that provide better visuals for low-level to the surface? I'm hoping to find something to make my new Boeing 314 Clipper more at home:-kewl I was also curious to know if there are any sea-states coded in game or with a mod?...I can understand if their isnt, complex water models are a bit outside the realm of a flight sim.

Hello Charles,You are probably right about the altitude thing. Most people seem to prefer commercial airlines and fly in the flight levels, so it would make sense that terrain (and water) is optimized for that.There have been numerous alternative water textures offered by third parties; just search the library. However, FS 2004's water textures are a great improvement over the previous version.The complex water models are indeed a part of the game. You can re-assign water textures to make the sea, or lake or river, look more realistic. Try EZ-Landclass by Russel Dirks, in the AvSim library. It includes an image that shows all the water textures.Best regards.Luis

Guest panda234

my water model seems optimized for just behind the rocket vomit stream, and it's a blurried eyed view. I'd like to complain. If I squeeze one eye shut, the room stops spinning, but then I walk funny and get marks on my face from bouncing off the walls. If I shut the other eye, the other side of my face starts to swell up after a while. I'm telling you, there is no winning.....billg

There are some sets that work better at low altitudes. In particular, try new_waves_136206.zip and/or fs9watga3.zip. I'm currently using FSWater, which surprisingly doesn't look that good at low altitudes. Still, its wave effects are subtle enough to mask the "oscillation" that happens with all FS2004 water effects so I'm quite happy with it.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest nattydread

Will any of these mods provide shorter wavelengths...and possibly increase frequency? Right now it seems the ocean is a bit too still and the wave model seems to work on a level of about 200ft sq. It behaves fine on a macro level but there is no micro model it seems. No small waves rippling and cresting in 3D on the large 200ft sq wave model...is what Im saying making sense?