Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Retirement - is it great?

This morning, I remembered one of my goals - to retire from work before I retire from ice hockey.  I want to play at night and never have to hear the alarm clock in the morning.  It's always way too early.

As I've said, we will probably relocate for tax purposes.  I've got a decent-sized model railroad that will have to be taken down and moved, and then re-assembled in a new place.  That will almost certainly mean some reconfiguration.  Instead of seeing that as a chore, I look on it as a chance to fix things that I didn't do right the first time.  Having the time to do that will be a blessing.

So far, we're both still very active, enjoying downhill skiing in particular.  I want to lose some more weight (25 down, 25 to go) which will make bicycling more of the fun it used to be, but in the meantime it will part of the program.

I retired 10 years ago. We have little debt and good cash flow. I keep busy with hobbies, golf 4 times per week, fishing and studying things that have always interested me. I was so sick of what I was doing a heart attack would have been likely. Time goes really fast when you can enjoy life and not be a slave to the office.

I elected to "retire" from Northrop Grumman at the end of January, 2012. I put retire in quotes, because you lot have not allowed me to really retire. I need to find another hobby... :p0503:

• Upvote 1

I elected to "retire" from Northrop Grumman at the end of January, 2012. I put retire in quotes, because you lot have not allowed me to really retire. I need to find another hobby... :p0503:

Oh please, we're keeping you young

I'm still working, but there are persistent rumors here of a "voluntary lay off.

That's all that is keeping me going in every day.

I need to find another hobby...

Likely you need to delegate more and then spend more of your time flying in this hobby.  I currently have a similar situation and its held me to logging 65 flight hours since the first of the year, and no hours since February 25th. Gotta get that changed. And this east coast weather this winter has consumed a great deal of my time.  

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

You have to learn to be basically useless. It takes practice.

I second that, flying is the most important aspect of this hobby and is the reason avsim exists. Flying is fun, relaxing, enjoyable and it keeps your brain working in order.

Avsim is more like a "pilots bar" where you hang out before and after your flight :)

• Upvote 1

I'll have to admit, there was an adjustment period. I  kept feeling I was supposed to be doing something work related. I actually felt guilty, but I'm happy to say, that went away real fast. The one thing that has stayed with me, is getting up early in the morning. By 5:00 AM, the coffee is made, my toast is made, the house is quiet and I can plop myself in front of 'puter' in peace & quiet. Except for the cat. I swear, is it possible to own a computer, without a cat flopping on your keyboard at the worse possible moment.?  As a side note, after 35 years of truck stop coffee, I bought myself a decent coffee maker and an actual coffee grinder, where I grind fresh beans every morning. You can take my house, you can take my car, you can take my wife (well, not really), but you'll have to pry my coffee grinder out of my cold dead fingers.

The one thing that has stayed with me, is getting up early in the morning.

Yeah, I'm going to miss getting up a 2:30am to go to work. The bad part is even on my days off or when I'm on vacation, I'm still up at 5:30 because the dogs need to go outside. I don't imagine that they're going to give a hoot whether I'm retired or not.

NAX669.png

I retired two years ago after 30 years in route sales for the worlds leading snack food company. After working 12 to 14 hour days I now work 5 a day delivering hospitol supplies and linnen. To me going from double time to part time is retirement. I guess I will always have a little job as long as I am able just to feel usfull. The high light of my day is seeing whats new on AVSIM every afternoon. Part time jobs gives me money for addons. Sim until I die!

Vic green

You have to learn to be basically useless. It takes practice.

Can you give me any tips please, Bill ?

I'm 74. I retired some 23 years ago...

In the last few months I've had to install a kitchen, including removing floor tiles with a sledgehammer, and electrical rewiring the kitchen power ring, cleaned blocked drains, looked after a dog for days at a time, repaired handbags, fixed ceiling lighting, rebuilt parrot cages, rebuilt two PCs, and I'm getting tired...

My offspring call me when problems occur...I have NEVER been so busy. :Whew:

Hang on a minute, while I have a short nap... :lazy:

Seriously, a GP told me when I retired, on waking, plan on doing something each day. Your retirement will be successful.

If you don't, you will be in trouble. It works for me. Unfortunately my 'plans' are changed, quite often, at very short notice...

Regards

Bill

Can you give me any tips please, Bill ?

I'm 74. I retired some 23 years ago...

In the last few months I've had to install a kitchen, including removing floor tiles with a sledgehammer, and electrical rewiring the kitchen power ring, cleaned blocked drains, looked after a dog for days at a time, repaired handbags, fixed ceiling lighting, rebuilt parrot cages, rebuilt two PCs, and I'm getting tired...

My offspring call me when problems occur...I have NEVER been so busy. :Whew:

Hang on a minute, while I have a short nap... :lazy:

Seriously, a GP told me when I retired, on waking, plan on doing something each day. Your retirement will be successful.

If you don't, you will be in trouble. It works for me. Unfortunately my 'plans' are changed, quite often, at very short notice...

Regards

Bill

I got rid of most of my tools. My wife tried this tact. I was ready for her. I gave up on planning for the same reason. You have to be stubborn!

In less than an hour from now, I will be simulating retirement for two days. I finish work at 2:30 pm. That will be followed by a quick shower, and then I will be taking the PMDG 737NGX for quick spins at various UK airports. I can't wait! :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Retirement?  Chance would be a fine thing!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776