Sign in to follow this  
Aeliusg

So is there any news on what will happen to Flight?

Will there be an official or unofficial update to Flight that will let us play with an offline account or do away with Live completely? I'd hate to see all the content that's already been created for this game disappear into oblivion because of some corporate budgeting decision.

There has been nor do I think there will be any update from Microsoft. I don't think at this point that anyone knows where this will all go. As of right now, the only participation MS has is someone is posting the AOTD. Other than that, who knows.

I'm sure Stonelance is still working on the tools kit but his time to work on it is limited. You'll just have to wait and see.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I'm sure Stonelance is still working on the tools kit but his time to work on it is limited. You'll just have to wait and see.

Yeah, I looked through the archives, and I suppose it's all up to Stonelance now. Swell guy.

My understanding is that they believe Flight will still be usable on existing machines once the LIVE servers go down later this year, but you will not get aerocaches or multiplayer.  I have my doubts as to how well it will work, so I have been working on an alternative.  I'll probably integrate it into the toolkit over the next few months so it is ready when the servers go down.  Unfortunately my fix won't have working multiplayer or aerocaches either, but I think there is a chance that I can get some of it working.  The main thing I still need to test is that people won't lose their profiles and have to start over.

Thanks so much.

I've been Flying for the past two days and it's absolutely beautiful. The best VFR experience I've had in a simulator out of the modern P3Dv2 and XP-10 and Aerofly fs. Amazing! If only MS and the community could have met halfway, we could all be having a true, next-gen Microsoft Flight [simulator] experience right now. I think in Flight the engine finally achieved a balance between auto-gen, textural detail, shader effects and performance that creates a convincing visual experience of flight. I could imagine creating an open-air cockpit simulator with ultra high FOV and fans that would be totally immersive even without g-forces. If only, if only.

So I must thank you for doing what you can to keep this software alive. It's truly a waste for it to have gone like this.

@ 'stonelance' et al.: Does this help? steamcommunity.com/app/203850/discussions/0/666826069079194018/ I have not yet tested this apparent fix for offline profiles; however, I will try it this weekend and provide the outcome. The important outcome will be if this works after LIVE servers are offline, but theoretically if this fix works now, then it will work regardless of the LVIE servers' status.

I realize that the link above would not resolve the issues with lacking multiplayer and Aerocaches, but it might offer at least basic functionality (e.g. the ability to actually use Flight after LIVE servers go offline).

@ 'Aeliusg': I agree with you; Flight was a fantastic VFR simulator. Or game? Either way, let's agree that it was a fantastic piece of 'entertainment software'. I reckon that stonelance and others will keep Flight alive. Better yet, maybe they will develop Flight further. I guess we watch this space...

- jarsky

After some contact with Microsoft, it seems that the future of MS Flight seems to be unpredictable. Unfortunately, there will be no SDK Release in the near future and so development is out of the question.  Without development, Flight will get no-where. There are no tools to aid the development, and without tools, there is no development. 

It may be years until the tools are released.  But for now, keep up the hope!

I hate to say it, but I think they've given up completely, I quote: to follow the "Natural ebb and flow" of app management. They figured they couldn't make enough of a profit, so they trashed it. Too bad... I think it had a lot of potential.