Sign in to follow this  
falken76

I'm new to FSX, can someone help me with ILS landing?

I'm confused on how to use ILS landing.  I've watched a bunch of youtube video's, I understand how to use most of the controls.  I have a problem with the ILS not guiding me to the runway and I'm sure it's because of a frequency issue.  What am I supposed to enter into Nav1 when the assigned runway I am to land on is a frequency of 111.75 but the radio will only allow me to go to 111.50 or 111.100 and there's nothing in between, is this why the plane never intercepts the guide slope?  How do you put the right frequency in if it's impossible to dial it in?

This is a great place to learn!

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ils.htm

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Are you sure its set to Nav 1? On some planes you have a selector switch to go from comm 1, 2 and nav 1, 2. Check you are using the right radio. I've found the default airbus hard to ILS, but the 737 very easy. Practice with that first.

What aircraft are you flying?  You should normally tune the Nav1 Standyby  radio to your freq. then flip the middle switch to move that freq. to the Nav1 primary radio.  If you are at the proper altitude on your approach, you should hear the ILS Morse Code identifier aound 25-28 miles from the runway. When you pick up the localizer it should turn your aircraft on to the final (Make sure you have the APP or APR light on.)  You need to be below the Glideslope to intercept it.  Also to intercept the Glide Slope your plane need to be configured correctly.  Flaps, gear down, and proper speed are the essentials.

There are some good Missions in FSX that are fairly short duration and will allow you to practice you ILS approaches.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Here is a test flight I use to check the limits and proper operation of ILS/AP systems. Any aircraft can be used.

ILS Procedure for FSX (practice) at KSEA (B738 <39% fuel):

Set COM1 to Tower 119.9.
Set NAV1 to ILS RWY 34 RT 110.3. (Left Window - Active on Comm and Nav radios)
Set NAV2 to ILS RWY 34 LT 117.1. (Both DMEs the same)
Set GPS/NAV switch to NAV.

1. Taxi to position and hold Rwy 34 RT.

2. Don't call the tower and they will ignore you. ATC/Tower procedures come later.

3. Set AP HDG to 343, ALT to 5000, and AT AS to 250.Turn HSI CRS to 343 just for correct card situation.

4. Takeoff. Set AP/HDG/ALT/AT to ON.

5. Turn HDG to 168. Aircraft will turn to 168 and level off at 5000.

6. At 23 miles DME, turn HDG to 010 and AT AS to 190. (The LOC needle will stay active to about 25 Miles. When the DME reads about 20 miles the Glideslope (GS) needle will go active and peg to the top of the guage and the BELOW G/S light will come ON).

7. When the LOC needle comes off the right peg, set APP to ON. The aircraft will turn to center the LOC needle and HDG will dis-engage. The GS needle will slowly come down and center (~18 NM). The ALT will dis-engage.

8. Drop 3 clicks of flaps, Set AT AS to 160. Drop gear. The aircraft will fly 2.5 degree slope.

9. Drop gear and set AT AS to 150. Add flaps slowly to Full DN.

10. At 100 feet, dis-engage AT and AP, close power levers.

11. Flare/land.

Do a touch and go to try it again until you can get the hang of it.

Now call the tower to get them involved. Make a IFR flight plan to Vancouver,

Have fun
Dave

To make this easier: Tell us what plane you are flying.  In the 777 you don't tune the ILS on NAV1.  Use the NAV/RADIO on the FMC and tune it there.

Paul Gugliotta

There are many great tutorials on youtube.com. Just search for "ILS tutorial".

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Here is a test flight I use to check the limits and proper operation of ILS/AP systems. Any aircraft can be used.

ILS Procedure for FSX (practice) at KSEA (B738 <39% fuel):

Set COM1 to Tower 119.9.

Set NAV1 to ILS RWY 34 RT 110.3. (Left Window - Active on Comm and Nav radios)

Set NAV2 to ILS RWY 34 LT 117.1. (Both DMEs the same)

Set GPS/NAV switch to NAV.

1. Taxi to position and hold Rwy 34 RT.

2. Don't call the tower and they will ignore you. ATC/Tower procedures come later.

3. Set AP HDG to 343, ALT to 5000, and AT AS to 250.Turn HSI CRS to 343 just for correct card situation.

4. Takeoff. Set AP/HDG/ALT/AT to ON.

5. Turn HDG to 168. Aircraft will turn to 168 and level off at 5000.

6. At 23 miles DME, turn HDG to 010 and AT AS to 190. (The LOC needle will stay active to about 25 Miles. When the DME reads about 20 miles the Glideslope (GS) needle will go active and peg to the top of the guage and the BELOW G/S light will come ON).

7. When the LOC needle comes off the right peg, set APP to ON. The aircraft will turn to center the LOC needle and HDG will dis-engage. The GS needle will slowly come down and center (~18 NM). The ALT will dis-engage.

8. Drop 3 clicks of flaps, Set AT AS to 160. Drop gear. The aircraft will fly 2.5 degree slope.

9. Drop gear and set AT AS to 150. Add flaps slowly to Full DN.

10. At 100 feet, dis-engage AT and AP, close power levers.

11. Flare/land.

Do a touch and go to try it again until you can get the hang of it.

Now call the tower to get them involved. Make a IFR flight plan to Vancouver,

Have fun

Dave

hi,

since a long time now i have fsx, fs9, but never had  the time to really

learn how ILS landing  really works. now i have the time so i want to learn it.

ive follow your procedure and it really work, so i began to practice it.

i understand that the ILS frequency for runway 34 R is 110.3, but the one for runway 34 L is 117.1 ......i would like to know were the 117.1 come from....the real frequency is 110.75

so,, ...if i put this frequency the airplane goes to runway 16......117.1 is the frequency for NEWPORT, so i would like to know why...do we have to put this frequency for the runway 34 L.

your procedure is easy to understand and superb for practice, and make me feel

way more fun of doing and learning ILS landing and how ir works.. 

i have made many, many search about this and all it gave me is a big confusing.like

a juice shaker in my head. so well done for the way you present your procedure.

thank you very much, 

LUCIEN,