Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Nielsen

"Censorship" and Support - a Developer's viewpoint

Hi, everyone.Delete any posts that mention any names of aftermarket commercial software.This problem seems to come up over and over because some righteous people think they are perfect, want free services, and try to sell products that are not fully tested. At one time there was a Commercial forum on this board for these type of issues, and nobody used it, as I recall.Most of the products that I see seem to be with the idea in mind of making a quick buck. Yes I know it takes time and effort to produce anything, but I think some of you do not understand ho lucky you are to have access to this type of medium. Now, not only would you like free access but you want them to print what you want printed.It

Is anyone else hearing an annoying buzzing sound? It's almost like words or something? Where did I put that flyswatter?

>Is anyone else hearing an annoying buzzing sound? It's almost>like words or something? Where did I put that flyswatter?Yes............Way down here in my crypt...L.Adamson

Guest Dean

Thank god for this thread! I received a email from RAS on November 22 advising me the free upgrade was available. Like so many other people today I read the first few lines and ignored the rest, content in my knowledge that I would be spinning in the SF260 again whenever some free time became available for simming. So I left it in my in-box and did nothing about it. Shame on me, I never read to the bottom where I was informed it would only be available for two weeks. RAS did their part, I'm the one that dropped the ball. After reading about the two week limit on downloading in this thread, I just went to link and discovered those cheat'n bast***s at RAS lied to us. ;-)The download is still available for all the slugs out there, like me, that didn't react upon getting the email.

HI Dean," I just went to link and discovered those cheat'n bast***s at RAS lied to us. ;-) The download is still available for all the slugs out there, like me, that didn't react upon getting the email."He,he - yes but it won't be there for much longer - we're just waiting for the last of the wafes and strays to finally push the button and then it really will be pulled.Thanks for lightening things up!All the Best,Rob Young

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Guest Dennis_F4i

Give me a break. You're flying the flag of manners and rightousness, but what you're really expressing is your frustration with not being able to have editorial rights over what you view as incorrect comments about your software. Your request for manners is not unprofessional; what is unprofessional is your refusal to drop the friggin issue about what one user had (in your opinion) wrongfully posted. Rob, my comments are not directed at just you; this site is overwhelmed by incessant whining - by both customers and some developers. Case in point, you took over a thread about a multi-monitor issue just to set the record straight with a user. And I guess that too is professional behavior for a developer? Give it a rest man, this horse is dead and your software is none the worse.Like TV said below, this forum should be for Q&A regarding MSFS, not for freeware/payware issues. Everyone uses it because it has high traffic and the moderators have not been aggressive at moving posts.

Guest hoohah

You left it in your InBox and did nothing about it? Shame on you! ;)I didn't read the rest of the message either; but I scrolled straight to the link and downloaded the update _immediately_. I didn't need or want two more weeks without the 260...I'm hoppin' de islands wit de canopy open once again, mon.

Guest SoarPics

"So I left it in my in-box and did nothing about it."LOL, Dean. You're a stronger man than I. I couldn't get that upgrade installed into FS9 quick enough!

Hi.If I were you I would check ENT doctor, could be serious, take LA along. TV>..hearing an annoying buzzing sound?

Guest Dean

>"So I left it in my in-box and did nothing about it.">>LOL, Dean. You're a stronger man than I. I couldn't get that>upgrade installed into FS9 quick enough!Unfortunately, the real world has been keeping me too busy lately to enjoy any flight simming! I bet I haven't started either sim in the last two months. Going to fix that real quick though!

Guest allcott

There's no-one more righteous than the self-righteous. And the self- righteous are often blind to the rights of others. The thread is nothing more (or less) than another example of why forums are both a very good and very bad thing. Some relevant points. Some self-righteous tosspots - just add milk to suit your flavour. And it doens't matter which side of the line you draw up on, you'll never see the point of view of the other guy, whether they're right, wrong or just emotionally disturbed and mentally crippled.The key problem seems to be that the consensus of debate has been replaced by the diviseness of insult, as the result is the locking of the thread, stifling debate, leaving the complaint intact. A policy that suits some, but not others. And again, you can stand either side of that line. Just who is to decide the merits of a particular complaint unless the opportunity is given for the complaint to be aired, discussed, agreed - or rebuffed?Allcott

Guest SlimDady

Alright I am not going to hide. I am the one who made this comment over a week ago. "one person actually publicly claimed that we were trying to exploit people by deliberately cutting off our upgrade schedule and making cash out of this "opportunity", whereas in fact we had devoted many many hours to tracing them, and the whole exercise has cost us a great deal in lost sales, manpower, and admin costs. We have not made a single penny from this upgrade."Pretty much every post I have made since then has been followed by Rob demanding a public apology. On one occasion someone replying to the thread even got annoyed with his whining and told him to take it somewhere else. Let me say I have no problem with the product its one of the better payware aircraft I have. Its more the reasoning behind their update policy that has me mad."whole exercise has cost us a great deal in lost sales" By providing a free update for 2004 you cant resell the plane for a whole no version. This is what I assume you mean by this. You say its totally a new plane, but if you were planning on making it work in 2004 all you really had to do was fix the spin feature. After the update deadline, the plane will be sold for fs2004 to make "sales". Again I will say almost all other devs have provided a free update to their software with no conditions like a 2 week update period. For an example captain sim has provided many updates to their 727 package so far, 6 if i can remember correctly, and they are always available for people to update when they get a chance to do that. This is what ive come to expect when I buy a payware aircraft. Maybe not 6 updates but the ocational update should be part of the deal. This is part of the reason that sets freeware apart from payware.This is a public forum, people are free post their opinions on a subject. You don

>>I just wish you would drop this and stop the whining. This is>what you get into in sales, its part of the deal. If every>time someone says something that offends you drag it out like>you have this, then maybe you should not be in this business.>Grow thicker skin or get out, because it