Sign in to follow this  
FSXtrial

Help getting realism in FSX.

Sportsfan I have already bought FSgenesis is it similar? You get credit also I do not know if I gave you any I don't want to miss anyone. This is really nice that UTX and FTX global work together. I have seen several videos and the ones I like the most have both in the mix. I need to ask something else Active Sky Next and OpusFSX can they be installed at the same time or can they be removed to test the other? I am going to get both and see what looks and feels the best. I just had an idea. I don't know if this will work. Can I copy the FSX folder to a place on the hard drive before I start the installation? That way if something goes really wrong I can just drop it back in place fresh?

Installing addons to FSX is easy.. But uninstalling is a bit of  hassle.

Not sure if ASN is compatible with OPUS. If you would have to choose I would go with ASN.

FSX installs it's files in many places on the hard drive, so I'm not sure if you can simply 'copy paste' the files somewhere else on the hard drive. If you were to copy and paste every single file for FSX, basically duplicate it, I believe FSX would not be able to decipher one install from the other most likely give you an error. 

What you can do is, if something goes wrong you can go to Control Panel>Programs & Features, find FSX and click repair. This basically resets the files. 

Cessna C172 from A2A is the only trainer I'd use.  FSX, FTX Global, ASN and Rex 4 and a couple of ORBX regions are all that's needed for flight training.  I wouldn't bother with specific airports or cities.  If you want to splurge, get a Reality XP GNS 530 for navigation as it mimics the real thing.  If you want to splurge even more, VOX ATC is very good--it uses all the correct terminology and you talk back to the controller, so you reinforce the communications aspect of piloting.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

I am going to get the FTX global going first see how things are. Slowly I will add in ASN REX some regions possibly. I used to live in the northwest so I can actually enjoy that section. UTX if it happens will have to be after I am much more comfortable. Then I will add GNS 530 VOX and Ground services. I already had one of those fun little crashes with nothing but FSX. :rolleyes:

Annoying crashes.. lol, FSX likes to crash itself a lot.

Have you installed FSX Service Packs 1 & 2?

(If you have, did you enable DX10 Preview in settings? If so, are you getting flashing runways/taxiway markings?)

I have already bought FSgenesis is it similar

Yes they are the same type of product. I am not sure about your files question though so hopefully somebody else can answer that. I would highly suggest Active Sky Next+Rex 4. I don't know anything about OPUS but you will not be disappointed with ASN+Rex 4 for weather and textures. 

Someone did answer about the files. I installed the FTX global and have black boxes in some places they seem to be in a pattern like something is blocked or turned off. I did turn on DX10 preview. I am not getting too much flash but I am on a little local air field without much scenery and no runway lights.

Active Sky Next and REX both purchased but I am not to that point yet. I am little slow at this. I am trying to get it right without too many mistakes. The block boxes had to do with DX10 preview turned it off no more problems. So is it best to leave DX10 alone? Is there a fix?

There is a DX10 fixer that you can buy and I have it but I still don't use DX10. I am perfectly happy without using it and the sim looks great. 

The only reason I <am forced to> use DX10 is because when I try flying the PMDG 737, It will have missing parts of the: fuselage, cockpit, wings, engine blades. The sim also stutters and crashes when I do push it. It is an ABSOLUTE MESS. Not reinstalling for the third time. So I turned on DX10, I'm happy with the fixer.

Don't waste $35 on Steve's DX10 Fixer. Many people don't know it's actually on the AVSIM file library, free. I found it messing around in there. And I was thinking of spending $35 on the DX10 Fixer. While it is the same, and is free on the AVSIM library.

It fixes the flashing runway pavement, taxiway markings, etc. It also adds VC shadows. For clarification, both programs are the same thing from the same guy, from what I have seen.

ASN and REX are great for realistic clouds, sky and weather. I posted several screenshots in my gallery using this combination. I also use MegaSceneryEarth v2.0 which IMHO gives the best ground representation but without seasonal changes. If you're flying VFR, all of the major landmarks are visible especially when flying around 1,500 AGL with zoom set to .4-.5.

I also use FSDT airports as noted in My Simulator. The only problem is they can hog a lot of resources when using a high AI setting. Newport Software has quite a few good airports at about $20 a piece. They don't have all the bling that FSDT has but they are geographically and graphically accurate.

BTW, when you set up your rig I really recommend using the tweak guides found in the hardware and graphics areas of AVSIM. they'll save you a lot of headaches especially if you plan to use the DX10 features of FSX. You'll find plenty of help available if you do run into glitches, hang ups, peaves or problems.

It's pretty apparent from the answers to your questions that there are a lot of experienced simmers trolling AVSIM. I've found it a great resource and an important part of my flight sim experience.

Again, good luck to your son and I hope you too will join us in this interesting and challenging hobby. From the casual to the complex, there are plenty of opportunities here to explore the world of aviation. BTW, is your son a member of AOPA? I don't fly anymore but still belong because it is a great organization and satisfies my curiosity for all things airborne. The student dues are pretty cheap plus they are a great resource for the commercial and insurance needs of all private pilots. Here endth the aforementioned commercial;)

Rick

Rick I will tell my son to look into AOPA. I am having some trouble with DX10. Everything has gone fairly smooth. FSGenesis, FTXGlobal, REX4, ASN REX Esentials +OD. I have a couple of issues. I will have to find a way to get ASN and REX4 & +OD working correctly that may not be too big. But I can not use DX10 in any way without the black standing squares. I am sorry I will try to explain between buildings houses there looks like a texture is missing. I can only say it is standing black squares. I think either a texture is missing or corrupted on top of that one of my planes now has Flight Simulator X across the DASH!!!! OH and that is why I have not gotten back until now. I thought I could fix those and no such luck.

One other question are both REX4 and REX Essentials plus OD needed together?

The reason you cannot get ASN and REX + OD to work with eachother is because they both inject weather to FSX. They will "fight over each other" and may in other words create conflicts. I recommend disabling Weather Injection in REX, and use ASN, it's a great program.

Even in DX10, or DX9, I've never had your problem of the FSX logo stuck on the dash, however, when I load up FSX, I do get the logo as clouds, on the dash, every instance where a texture is supposed to be placed, says Flight Simulator X, they disappear a moment afterwards. This maybe happening as you said due to a corrupted file. Also, when this happens are you running DX9, or DX10? Does this happen on an addon aircraft?

Ok it happens now on both DX9, DX10. It was not there at all until I turned on DX10 and the problems started. I the tried the fix from avsim not much changed. Is there a repair maybe or has it corrupted something? This is on an addon plane I really like Beechcraft D-18 maybe I could just recopy the texture.

REX Essentials + OD is what REX 4 is, with weather injection options. REX 4 is textures only.

Some aircraft files may be corrupted, causing the textures not load in.

Sorry about mentioning DX10, it solves all my problems for me. It's not the same for everyone.

FSX is like this… Random problems at random times.  When I first installed it, I had one slew of problems,  reinstalled it, had a different slew of problems.