Sign in to follow this  
FS20

FSX is absolutely awful

So, FSX is bad because your PC is bad? This is quite a bad assumption. FSX runs with no problems if your specs are up to scratch. 

By the way, FSX these days is used more as a "Base" platform; software that is used to run all your add-ons. 

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

My low end PC runs FSX with everything other than the NGX just fine.

A lot of people complain of having to spend too much time tweaking the cfg.  That has not been my experience.  

All you really need is the HIGHMEMFIX.  Any other tweaks should be to optimize performance, increase LOD, texture size, etc.  

I never get OOM or CTD.

DX10 is also a wonderful thing.

FS9+FSX= :wub:

Yes, It runs like toilet skids when first installed, so some big tweaking is necessary.

For us newcomers mate, could you please link up some of these tweaking guides, thanks :)

This is why we're getting pathetic framerates, even tho the software was released 9 years ago

Why am I not getting pathetic framerates ?

For us newcomers mate, could you please link up some of these tweaking guides, thanks :)

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I have now completely different experience with FSX than couple of months ago. Upgraded my PC to i7 i3770k OC'ed to 4.5ghz, and to be honest I'm in heaven! Seriously, sitting on 26L on Aerosoft Munich with NGX and seeing 35-40 fps is something that I wanted for years, dream come true. And I'm not even started to talk about smoothness with ALL pay ware planes I have (Airbus X Extended, NGX, A2A C172, etc), amazing.

But now I have a problem of different nature - I don't have enough free time to enjoy it all. And what about learning NGX? That takes much timely itself. Luckily I can fly it like I flew default 737, no need for all that mumbo jumbo details in systems and procedures, I can get to it eventually. I just want to enjoy amazing immersion of NGX and Airbus X Extended, no less - no more.

And the feel when you install a payware airport without fears to see low fps is something I can't describe. :) Bought Taxi2Gate LTBA few days ago, and I was excited like a kid in front of new PlayStation.  :lol:

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

FSX must be pretty awful seeing how it's been the standard for flight simulation since 2006..

FSX must be pretty awful seeing how it's been the standard for flight simulation since 2006..

I wouldn't say it's been the standard since 2006, but rather since 2010.

The FlightSim community has taken a loooong time to transition from FS9 to FSX due to bad performance. In fact, today there's still a good 30-40% of simmers using FS9.

I recall transition from FS2002 to FS2004 being almost immediate. Everybody moved on as soon as it was released. FSX is another story.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Also the inner combustion engines are the standard from the early 1900's. Over 100 years of same technology, but constantly upgrading. Same story goes for FSX.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

The FlightSim community has taken a loooong time to transition from FS9 to FSX due to bad performance. In fact, today there's still a good 30-40% of simmers using FS9.

5% using X-Plane, It's very obvious your agenda.

Um, what's all the fuss? I just landed a complex aircraft with a 737 coming in behind and a couple others in the sky nearby, and one on the ground readying to take off. ATC at full chat, runway PAPI and aircraft instruments all working fluidly, and (stock) airport vehicles ferrying about. Sky seems realistic, a little windy, thermal activity and a little turbulence over the houses approaching the airport, wind dies a little as I near the runway. Totally fluid simulation apart from the only stutter as I taxi in, a short pause-ette as another AI starts up on the ground and contacts ATC. 3960x+GTX680, no OC.  

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Come on, it's not that bad, and that's coming from me (A big X-Plane fan). I can run FSX quite happily on a 3 year old laptop, with the PMDG 737NGX and Orbx scenery. If I pushed it, I would get an OOM. For a product that is ten years old, it's doing well. It's amazing people still use and people are still creating products for it.

FSX is a dog.  But it is still the best Flight Simulator platform ever released.  show me something better.  and keep in mind, I've seen X-plane

This epitomizes 'Head in the Sand'... P3D v2 is the update to FSX and yes it is better in every way from it's predecessor (FSX). Support is better, the will to address user/add-on developer issues is stellar compared to Microsoft's relationship with this community over the years, and the plateform on every front is an advancement.

I'm wondering why I have to still say this to anyone at this point, it should be obvious.

If I pushed it, I would get an OOM. For a product that is ten years old, it's doing well. It's amazing people still use and people are still creating products for it.

Have you every thought in this day and age you shouldn't get an OOM period under any circumstances with FSX? Being that your an X-Plane simmer I'm sure your system is no slouch yet FSX can still in 2014 give you an OOM with hardware that wasn't even thought of when FSX was released. I'd bet you $100 dollars XP10 in the same time frame on the market with no updates would run OOM free, in other words flawless (thankfully we'll never see a static XP sitting on the market 7 years into the future from today)... With the examples we have around us concerning software quality it amazes me the passive attitude people have with FSX. It's sad that it's been around so long where the term 'with large enough wings even a pig can fly' applies. Now we have alternatives people for whatever reason are so resistant to something better and would rather fight and accept/explain away the obvious when it comes to FSX... Anyone that states a valid opinion on the sim is pounced on and for many alternatives to FSX is sacrilegious and not even considered, recommended or much less mentioned like the post I referenced above by 'ShawnG'.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I swapped to XP10 recently which has been fantastic. Especially now with the IXEG out soon, and Ramzess 777 and 757. I agree with the OP, I spent days upon days tweaking the platform and still couldnt get above about 20fps at a busy airport. Now I get 35fps, better graphics, no crashes and more realistic flight dynamics.

Hopefully when PMDG release an aircraft for XP10 it'll be the nail in the coffin for this outdated platform.

Yeah I have been flying MS Flight Sims since 1993, switched to X-Plane 9 several years ago, and have not looked back. Will be getting version 10 in a week or so, FSX is fine if it floats your boat, but I am now addicted to the power of X-plane, and will not go back to the other platform...

FSX DX9 - Not a single OOM, smooth perfromance with complex addons 

DX10 - Same deal with a lot of nice extra effects

Will happily switch to P3D once all major dev's get onboard. 

Kinda hard to grasp that the bulk of us are all adults here.. Way too much school playground  'my sim is better than your sim' talk going on in this forum...

Rob Prest