Sign in to follow this  
FS20

FSX is absolutely awful

Works fine if you know the limits ( all flight sims have some limits). Add-ons sometimes do not do any favour to FSX.

Read the forum , try to set it up properly and enjoy the game !

Good luck

FSX must be pretty awful seeing how it's been the standard for flight simulation since 2006..

Try since the subLOGIC days.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Have you every thought in this day and age you shouldn't get an OOM period under any circumstances with FSX?

No arguments from me here, this is why I switched over to X-Plane as my primary sim, but I still use FSX now and then, and still enjoy it. My computer is anything but powerful, but I was quite happy with how FSX performed, and I know its limits.

I tried Prepar3D v2, but had the same problems (in fact, I'm sorry to say, it's worse). Until the day P3D is 64-bit, it's not worth the effort for me.

Yeah I have been flying MS Flight Sims since 1993, switched to X-Plane 9 several years ago, and have not looked back. Will be getting version 10 in a week or so, FSX is fine if it floats your boat, but I am now addicted to the power of X-plane, and will not go back to the other platform...

Just keep trimming that aileron, and you'll be fine. But of course, it's not realistic. And that's by a long shot! Or you can use Carenado (good stuff because they've limited the torque values), or some other models that work out of the boundaries of X-Planes flight dynamics. I have a big problem with X-Plane. IMO, it's teaching prospective pilots false flight dynamics. They come to believe that a plane must want to roll, after it leaves the runway. With X-Plane, you're constantly trimming with aileron, and more roll trimming with all power changes.

I'm a pilot and rigged airplanes in real life. I've also checked out rigging specs and pilot reports for many airplanes I've never flown. It's like I say, unless it's a high power, low airspeed situation.............then the airplane shouldn't be feeling like it wants to roll, when you leave the runway. X-Plane does by default, and there are tons of excuses why. Problem is, the X-Plane program doesn't mimic the forces that override engine/prop torque. After many years, of being wrong, it's now being looked at.

For someone such as myself, I'd get irratated about five minutes after firing up X-Plane. Owned versions 8 & 9. I'm a guy that looks for.......what we call a heavy wing. It's something I re-rig to eliminate. When is sim platform produces a heavy wing as standard, especially when marketed as having outstanding flight dynamics, then it becomes a nuisence.

Just keep trimming that aileron, and you'll be fine. But of course, it's not realistic. And that's by a long shot! Or you can use Carenado (good stuff because they've limited the torque values), or some other models that work out of the boundaries of X-Planes flight dynamics. I have a big problem with X-Plane. IMO, it's teaching prospective pilots false flight dynamics. They come to believe that a plane must want to roll, after it leaves the runway. With X-Plane, you're constantly trimming with aileron, and more roll trimming with all power changes.

I'm a pilot and rigged airplanes in real life. I've also checked out rigging specs and pilot reports for many airplanes I've never flown. It's like I say, unless it's a high power, low airspeed situation.............then the airplane shouldn't be feeling like it wants to roll, when you leave the runway. X-Plane does by default, and there are tons of excuses why. Problem is, the X-Plane program doesn't mimic the forces that override engine/prop torque. After many years, of being wrong, it's now being looked at.

For someone such as myself, I'd get irratated about five minutes after firing up X-Plane. Owned versions 8 & 9. I'm a guy that looks for.......what we call a heavy wing. It's something I re-rig to eliminate. When is sim platform produces a heavy wing as standard, especially when marketed as having outstanding flight dynamics, then it becomes a nuisence.

Everyone has their preference, I fly with my boss all of the time, and do most of the flying, take offs and landings, he just rents the plane once a month to keep his rental agreement current. I do most of the flying though, and after each flight I fire up X-Plane, and fly the same path I flew earlier. Also in the same type of aircraft. The experience is very similar, nothing against fsx, but I and staying with x-plane, its the same old argument like PS3 vs Xbox, I use ps3 and have owned both, got rid of the xbox...

I swapped to XP10 recently which has been fantastic. Especially now with the IXEG out soon, and Ramzess 777 and 757. I agree with the OP, I spent days upon days tweaking the platform and still couldnt get above about 20fps at a busy airport. Now I get 35fps, better graphics, no crashes and more realistic flight dynamics.....

.....and hardly any AI planes.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

.....and hardly any AI planes.

There are AI planes, but it's better without them, unless you like watching a 777 trying to take off or land on a grass-strip  :lol:

FSX, like many things in life, is about compromise. We make many compromises, because we simply don't live in a perfect world, so why should FSX be any different. I'm sure, no matter what sim was being used, there would still be compromises, just different ones, I can think of two others already :wink:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

This epitomizes 'Head in the Sand'...

you do understand that even P3D Will OOM eventually? its still a 32bit app and until that changes pushing it with large amounts of scenery and memory intensive add ons will cause it to run out of VAS.

Updates in Hardware cannot overcome the 4GB VAS limit, only X-Plane has that going for it at the moment. Considering how hard we are pushing FSX I think its doing rather well, there is some life left in the old girl yet!

Edited by n4gix
Removed excessive quote!

Chris Warner

PMDG : JS4100, MD-11, 737 NGX (Soon!)

Whole subjects been beet to death how many times and it just keeps popping its head up with no insight at all! Stupid.

Have you every thought in this day and age you shouldn't get an OOM period under any circumstances with FSX? Being that your an X-Plane simmer I'm sure your system is no slouch yet FSX can still in 2014 give you an OOM with hardware that wasn't even thought of when FSX was released.

I would have thought it's obvious that there is more chance of getting an OOM now than when FSX was first released. That's because the payware airports are more detailed, the payware planes are more detailed, the weather engines are more detailed, the scenery packages are more detailed.......and all of this detail needs to run in the same amount of VAS. It isn't as if technological advancement has found a solution to the "4GB addressable limit" of 32bit applications.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Whole subjects been beet to death how many times and it just keeps popping its head up with no insight at all! Stupid.

It's a forum, and people like to discuss the differences/merits etc. Just ignore such topics if it bothers you. I personally enjoy reading it, even if it is the same old stuff.

When MS was designing SP1's multi-core capabilities (working with Intel), they had to choose between visual quality and performance. They lent more towards using multicore for visual quality as opposed to improving the framerate. Moving the terrain threads off to their own cores, etc.

So if it was coded recently (with 64-bit) we would be able to run all the sliders full right at 60 FPS with a LOD radius of 60 (as opposed to 4.5)?

I expect so. I run 64bit Xplane with almost maxed out settings and my average fps is 50. At busy airports in bad weather it drops to the mid 30s in a complex airliner. I can't enjoy the frame rates of fsx anymore.

P3D v2 is the update to FSX and yes it is better in every way from it's predecessor (FSX). Support is better, the will to address user/add-on developer issues is stellar compared to Microsoft's relationship with this community over the years, and the plateform on every front is an advancement.

I'll look into P3D eventually. Waiting for the perfect system in order to use it first (eg. SLI, DDR4, PCIe 4.0, etc). My current system is somewhat new (2011), but certain tech is from 2007 (PCIe 2.0). In addition, compatible add-ons and full 64-bit support. Not quite there yet, but it's coming. When that all lines up, then I'll make the switch. Until then I'm happy using FSX.