Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

You want excellent performance in P3D, well, try this!

Sadly, money needs to be no object if you plan on getting this...

GeForce GTX TITAN Z is a gaming monster, built to power the most extreme gaming rigs on the planet. With a massive 5760 cores and 12 GB of 7 Gbps GDDR5 memory, TITAN Z gives you truly amazing performance—easily making it the fastest graphics card we’ve ever made.

On a serious note though, this clearly shows how graphics cards are getting more and more computers in their own right, and it's nice to see P3D going in this direction too with it's increased use of the GPU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j5WaLr0DJk

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/announcing-the-geforce-gtx-titan-z

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

What a sensationalistic headline... I thought you were talking about some clever trick, but instead you're merely stating what everyone already knows: more computing power, higher framerates.

What a sensationalistic headline... I thought you were talking about some clever trick, but instead you're merely stating what everyone already knows: more computing power, higher framerates.

Yes, but progress in computing power is slow these days. It used to be a time when a three year old computer was an expensive paper weight, not so anymore. NVidia shows that there is still room for improvement, while Intel has not made any significant progress since inventing their Sandy Bridge architecture back in 2005. My point being, the future seems to lie in the GPU, not the CPU, and Lockheed Martin is on the right track in that regard. Still, for ultra realistic graphics we are still limited by the 32-bit VAS limitation.

At $3000, how many simmers can buy it?

Not many, but I'm sure someone will, although they might need to keep it hidden from their wife, so we will never know :)

Or just buy SLI 780ti for a fraction of the prize when it becomes supported in P3D.

$3000 is NOT an improvement.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I thing if you had two machines identical in every way (in reality not possible). Say both overclocked to 5GHZ and put a bog standard GTX 780 in one and a GTX Titan Z in the other the performance difference would maybe be noticeable. But not $2500 in the difference noticeable. WBard said in the Thread on the V2.2 developers blog that although they are not openly saying that SLI is supported in V2.2 because there is more work to be done; there will be a performance increase with SLI in V2.2 so for another $500 GTX 780 youre likely going to see that Titan Z Performance soon enough and have $2000 left over to spend on cigarettes and Booze.

I have made this post before, but I am getting excellent results with Prepar3d and FSX, silky smooth performance averaging 50 fps, using an i5 2500k, NVidia GTX 6600ti graphic card with Windows 7 64bit. I am using SSD for Windows and a second SSD for the simulator itself along with a normal 1tb hard drive for general storage. Using Horizon Generation X photo scenery with Gary Summons UK2000 airports, I get really sharp textures with little blurring flying at high speed and low level ( below the hill tops). Incidentally, I have found having frame rates unlimited rather than locked, makes a big difference. Apart from the SSDs, which I do believe make a noticeable improvement, this is nowadays a fairly modest system. I am still waiting for some of the guys in our flight sim. group (Sherburn) to take the plunge and get Prepar3d on an i7 based system to see how it performs on a better system than my own. I had this system running at the Cosford show last year with several people being amazed at the performance, there was even a quote in a recent PC Pilot magazine from a reader saying he could not believe how this system was running so well. I am no technical guru by any means but seem to have found a combination of hardware that just seems to work.