Sign in to follow this  
Guest davidvoogd

Which Archer II ?

Guest w2sjw

I'm ready to plunk down some $$$ and get a payware Piper Archer II. I'm stuck, though, deciding on weather to get the Dreamfleet or the Carenado. To me, the shots at Carenado's website make their model look alot closer to 'real', but there is so much more offered as repaints for Dreamfleet's. I just want some opinions from current owners before I buy (don't want to jump to any impulses!)Scott

I don't have the Carenado implementation, only the Dreamfleet.It flies very nice, the panel is top quality.Sure it's an older product (being released in 2001 or so) and might be showing its age a bit but it's still a very nice aircraft to fly.

The Dreamfleet Archer is a true classic and continues to be one of my very favorite aircraft.The only negative is that the VC is not super hi-rez... for that, the regular cockpit is about as good as any I've seen.The two views: full and landing view are both very well done with great looking instruments.In addition, the flight model and sound are great!Highly recommended.

Bert

Guest tango_d

Agree with both of you here - have the Dreamfleet. Can't comment on the Cerenado, although I believe it's nice.Have to admit though - the DF still sees very regular flight considering much newer models in the ol' hanger. Roger the comment on the VC too though. RegardsEd

Guest shanwick

Don't forget the Piper Warrior from http://www.aussim.com.au/ A very nicely done aircraft now that the V1.1 patch is out.I have all three Pipers - the Dreamfleet, Carenado and Aussie.The Dreamfleet one is, indeed, fantastic except that it was made for FS2002, patched for FS2004 and is now showing its age in terms of eye candy.The Carenado offering is good but personally irritates me a little as the windows in VC mode have reflections built into them. Whilst that may be realistic it is very distracting after a while. IMO it doesn't fly as well as the Dreamfleet.The Aussie job is a very well put together aircraft, looks good, has lots of nice features and as far as I am concerned is a worthy successor to the Dreamfleet Archer. It comes in two flavours - the Warrior II with the older stlye panel and the Warrior III with the latest style panel- you can load versions with or without a VC, has a half a dozen liveries to choose from (more available for free on their website) and features models with and without wheel spats (pants). OK, I know an Archer is not a Warrior but what the heck ....Reasonably priced, active and friendly support forum and definitely worth considering. It has now become my permanent hack - I'm a GA man :-)David

LOL I don't know why Carenado keep doing those tinted windows when everyone seems to hate them :-lol but their latest Piper, the Cherokee 180F is really the best looking Piper addon aircraft to date. The VC is fantastic and the windows aren't that dark (not as bad as their Bonanza VC which turned the entire world into a bluish-green murk).But my first choice would be the Aussim Warrior. If you can live with the 20HP less it's a great aircraft, lots of features, quite detailed VC (but not as good as Carenado's). It's good value because you get the Warrior III with lots of gadgetry and you also get the more basic Warrior II.I only rarely pull the DF Archer II out of the hangar these days, it's starting to feel really dated. The 2D panel and sounds are still fantastic though.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest w2sjw

I want to thank you guys for the quick replies & opinions! I think I'm gonna splurge and get the DF Archer AND the Aussie Warrior...Scott

Good choice... also download the N6286H repaint for the DF Archer, it looks really sharp!

Bert

Real Warrior pilots over at Aussim do not agree with that statement :)Nah but I remember when this product was released half of AVSim basically declared war on it for no apparent reason :-lol

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I, for one, love the Carenado product. One of the best aricraft models I've seen, with a sharp, fast VC. Very nicely modeled in terms of accurate avionics, etc and the window tint doesn't bother me at all. IMO - you excluded the best of the lot...c'est la sim!

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

"The Carenado offering is good but personally irritates me a little as the windows in VC mode have reflections built into them. Whilst that may be realistic it is very distracting after a while. IMO it doesn't fly as well as the Dreamfleet."I have the Carenado Bonanza--I found the reflections annoying myself. I found however that Carenado controls all this with a bitmap just for the interior that has an applied transparency mask. Don't know what it's called with the Archer, but once you find it, you can open it with DXTBMP and tweak the alpha channel for the glass.-John

I agree regarding the Aussim product - the Flight Dynamics are very poor in my opinion. Certainly doesn't handle anything like the Archers I have flown in the UK. I have both the Dreamfleet and Carenado models. Dreamfleet is better for Flight Dynamics, Carenado for panel and external eye-candy.Good Luck with your choice - its a difficult one!RegardsAdam

I fly a Warrior II in real life also (almost daily) I have to say that the flight dynamics are not like the real thing. If you try to take off at neutral trim (take off trim) in the Aussie Sim Warriors its so hard to get it to rotate at Vr and if you do, it just wants to nose dive right into the ground. Dan

Daniel