Sign in to follow this  
msagner

ILS Problem at LPPR

I have the new TropicalSim Porto (LPPR) 2014 scenery installed on FSX (no other 3rd-party scenery in that area).

When approaching Porto on the ILS 17 (109.90), I overshot the runway four times in a row, twice with Aerosoft's Airbus X Extended, twice with the PMDG NGX.

Each time the autopilot would catch both localizer and glidepath, both AP's were switched on for a full autoland, but the plane ended up way too high on short final and the AP's quit autoland mode each time.

Anybody else around who encountered this problem?

Not all airports have autoland capability. Just because there is an ILS doesn't mean it has autoland. It might be only Cat I or II capable. So the ILS can only take you down so low before you have to disconnect AP/AT and land manually.

Most of the time, if the runway is equipped for Cat III landings, there will be a specific chart for that approach.

For example, on airnav.com look up KDEN and scroll down to the IAPs. You'll see that for all the runways will ILS approach charts, there's a separate chart for Cat II/III for the same runway.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KDEN

I also just looked up the plates for Porto. Apparently the ILS for 17 is only Cat II capable. 300m RVR/108ft mins. That's probably why. It's not equipped for autoland. You have to disconnect the AP by your minimums and land the plane manually.

In FSX, I don't think there is any difference between a CAT I or CAT III ILS.  There might be an inner marker and CAT III approach lighting, but that doesn't affect how an add-on or default aircraft interacts with the ILS.  In any case such as this I recommend using the default Baron, setup on the start for the runway, and use slew to move over the threshold and move up, while watching the glideslope deviation.  When "on glideslope" per your gauge, check altitude which should be 50 ft (more or less) above the runway.  If that is the case then I suspect the ILS is OK for autoland.

scott s.