Sign in to follow this  
Deadmeat

Considering ORBX Scenery in DX10

Hi All,

I am a beginner FSX simmer, but experienced w/ race sims, IL-2, Falcon, etc.:  .cfg/.ini file tweaks, community mods, FPS comparos, etc.

I did a lot of homework on NVidia Investigator and fsx.cfg tweaks as per AVSim & other guides.  Did some basic tweaks and now have a nice, stable install of FSX Gold in Win 7 X 64 running DX10.  Good stability and video/graphics performance using 1/2 refresh rate tweak.

Recently I have tried Orbx demos and am interested in ORBX Global, but concerned about DX10.

I have searched forums, but have questions in the 2014 FSX environment:

1.  Is SteveFX's payware fix worth the 40.00 or does the freeware shader fix work just as well for Orbx Global, Vector & other addons?  Does it help the stock FSX video performance

2.  In DX10 is it better to use Flight1 FX or Orbx products?

3.  SteveFX vs. NVidia SweetFX Shader?

4.  Are Mesh addons better than scenery upgrades or are they complimentary?

Thanks very much for all the great info!

Peter

There's lots of useful info on all those topics and that a little searching will turn up for you.

But a quick response to them:

1) I never tried the freeware versions, but since they do not fix all issues, I decided the FIxer was worth the price, and am very happy with the results.

2) What Flight1 products are you talking about?  I have most Orbx scenery and airports and they work great in DX10 (with the Fixer).  I wouldn't fly over any other scenery, myself.

3)  The Fixer and the Shader are two completely different products that do completely different things, and are compatible.  I use SweetFX in DX10, although with a very mild settings file.  I just basically use it to clean up the "smog" of default FSX.

4)  Mesh just makes the terrain more accurate in terms of elevations.  Good scenery, like Orbx, includes more accurate mesh as part of the scenery.  But what you see while flying is landclass and textures laid over mesh.  You never "see" mesh.  

You need Steve's DX10 fixer for FTX Global for compatability.

Well worth it.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

When y'all say "ORBX Global compatibility" do you mean the payware DX10 fixer is the only way of correcting the autogen lighting issues? I know the Global lights have issues in DX10.

When y'all say "ORBX Global compatibility" do you mean the payware DX10 fixer is the only way of correcting the autogen lighting issues? I know the Global lights have issues in DX10.

Yes, only the payware fixer fixes the issue with FTX Global lights appearing as black square boxes in the daytime. That was the reason recently bought the fixer even though I had been using the free version.  I have no regrets with the purchase.  The fixer offers lots of options for  improving cockpit shadows, managing bloom and contrast effects and other performance enhancements as well.  It has an easy to use GUI, but it is still important to read the PDF manual in order to realize all of the benefits and configure it properly.  

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

Hey All - thanks very much - that is just what I wanted to know.  I have hunted around a lot on the web & forums, but wasn't sure what the payware version brought to the table.

Peter

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The Unofficial ORBX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Steve's DX10fixer is definitely worth purchasing if you want to use DX10 full time.

The only issue I have using Orbx is their vector lights flashing on and off randomly during a flight in DX10 mode. Other than that all is well.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg