Sign in to follow this  
Guest andy58

FScene reviews of Australian scenery

Hi,Has anyone done a decent review of the FScene Australian texture replacements?By all accounts the European / US textures are quite good, and the screenshots on the FScene web site look pretty nice.Unfortunately, the Australian screenshots do not look substantially different to the default scenery. Admittedly, the screenshots are of urban coastal areas, and look green enough to only be Tropical Queensland.Has anyone with some experience of Australia from the air used this scenery? (Preferably someone who has flown over the inland areas, or understands what I mean when I say the colours are unique!)While the FScene textures do look good, they are pricey in AUS$, and they don't look right to my eyes.The other concern is that the season colours look wrong to my eyes - while there are deciduous trees in Australia, the majority change colour in a different way - browner in the 'dry' and greener in the 'wet'. (Dry being winter-spring, wet being summer-autumn. Mind you, Sydney has between 8 and 11 distinct seasons - we are already in season #2 for 2005, 'early Feb humid, nasty thunderstorms')Have a look at NASA's Blue Marble image to see what I mean; Australia has a very disctint colour variance to the rest of the world, and the FScene scenery does not seem to reflect this.Cheers,

Guest draky

Slightly off topic but folk who may come here should take a peek at the Westsim design group site for great Perth scenery....http://www.westsim.com.au/There is a landclass file for this region available at Westsim. Jandakot airport is of particular interest to me as I used to fly from there, they have done a good job.Having traveled and flown in the outback I agree with the author above - Australia is certainly a very different appearance from above. Real world flyers of the space shuttle have made several comments about just how red and different Australia really looks from way above too.I miss Oz :(

You are correct, Westsim does have some good landclass files, as does Aussim.com.auYou're also correct about Australia's distinctive colour, red. The other colours that stand out to me are the yellow and black of most of the heavily-weathered rock here. We just don't get the clean white and grey rocks of the northern hemisphere. Our coastal vegetation tends towards a browny-grey khaki. Only in the Tropic north do you get the really intense greens, or in the irrigated farmlands.I have yet to see a texture add-on that succesfully captures the colours of Australia.

Guest andy58

I tried playing around some years ago adjusting the colours in the default textures but was overtaken by 2k2/2k4 when they changed things around. There are not that many textures used for our region so it's a matter of working out which ones from the SDK docs and having the time to do it. Not that hard with the hue/gamma tools in PSP etc.A good source of imagery is the Geoscience Australia -Australian Satellite Map on DVD, about 25m resolution if I recall correctly. I got mine online from FishfinderBooks in Darwin. I think you can download the same Landsat 7 data from Geoscience Aust.Search the Avsim archives for past threads on region assignments with the textures.Andy