Sign in to follow this  
turner112

ASN vs FSGRW vs OPUS..... ?

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to compare recent information on various weather add-ons.

I have AS2012 but never had "great" results; I tried ASN and liked it.

During the course of looking things up, I've also found OPUS, FSGRW, and some others. That said, most comparisons seem to be comparing AS2012 vs. OPUS, or there are some videos showing side-by-side comparisons but don't say much really. (They're nicely done but there is no commentary.)

So... for anyone who has used/owns some of the current-gen version, any recommendations?

95% of my flying is GA aircraft. I am particularly interested in realistic low visibility and overcast depiction.

Thanks!

Andrew

For what I read in the forum, ASN, FSGRW, and OPUS meet your requirements of "...realistic low visibility and overcast depiction."  Each product has a good following.  Consider this video.  

Unfortunately these type of threads tend to go as crappy as the bad weather depicted by these apps.  Someone will insult someone, the thread gets "monitored" and then closed.  Hope this one is the exception.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Guest Mik75

For my taste and for my type of flying, ASN and FSGRW are my favourite weather engines! ASN has so many neat and useful features and creates some very nice looking weather. FSGRW looks a little more realistic (again, just my opinion) in some situations, offers a little more fps and has these fantastic local weather effects that make demanding approaches just a little more demanding...

I haven't used Opus ever since FSGRW (and now ASN) has been released.

Guest Mik75

Thanks all!

For those of you using ASN - what clouds are you using?

As noted I have AS2012, though I'm not sure how cloud textures are assigned from within ASN.

cheers!

Andrew

You can use AS2012's clouds without any problems. Once installed, any weather engine of your choice will use them.

I use REX4 Texture Direct, and I like it a lot.

You can use AS2012's clouds without any problems. Once installed, any weather engine of your choice will use them.
I use REX4 Texture Direct, and I like it a lot.

Thanks Michael. Does this mean I would install textures from AS2012 and then quit out, then start ASN?

Sorry if this is a daft question... I looked through the ASN manual but didn't see how/where the cloud textures are chosen.

Guest Mik75

Thanks Michael. Does this mean I would install textures from AS2012 and then quit out, then start ASN?

Sorry if this is a daft question... I looked through the ASN manual but didn't see how/where the cloud textures are chosen.

Exactly, this task (installing textures into the sim) has only to be done once, unless you want to change and alter the cloud textures.

Guest Mik75

Thanks again.

You're welcome! And now have fun with the fantastic ASN!

Sorry, a bit late, but I use FSGRW as it realistically draws clouds and not only the beauty looking cumulus but also stratus. Not tried ASN though. It's a really understated tool.

ASN definitely, I haven't used OPUS since ASN got released. 

+1

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO