Sign in to follow this  
t_a_h

Low FPS, but strong CPU... why!?

Hi,

I got a very fast motherboard, 8GB RAM, i7-3770K 4core at 4.1GHz... you can see it in my signature...

But still I get only about 20 to max 30 FPS and very low in sceneries like KBOS or KJFK or EDDH (all bought addon sceneries) flying with A2A C172.

Why do I get so low FPS?

Should I not be able to push the FSX settings to max with my hardware?

SP 2 installed but was SP1 correctly installed?

Any tweaks applied?

All system drivers updated?

FPS is not important. Don't get caught up in the numbers game. How fluid is it? I have a similar setup and FPS and smooth as glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

YES!!

But when you start to add things in the answer becomes NO!!! Be happy with 20 to 30 fps. Turn off the FPS counter, no one is running a contest for highest FPS!

I got a very fast motherboard, 8GB RAM, i7-3770K 4core at 4.1GHz... you can see it in my signature...

I get a constant 30 fps with an old i5 2500K@4.6ghz + GTX570. And that is with the Flight 1 Mustang.

Like previous posters said, its not all about FPS.

I would even go as far as to say that if you get more than 30ish fps, you are really just wasting CPU power on frames instead of other much more important things.

You want to be at a stable 30 fps with the occasional lower frames at really heavy add-on airports in heavy weather. for instance, going into Aerosoft EHAM with the PMDG 777 on a stormy day with AS NEXT rendering a lot of REX cloud layers and rain will usually kill any pc, regardless what your cpu is. 

You would see a benefit from a good over clock though. If you can manage to get your chip to 4.6 or higher, you will see a nice boost in performance. 

Did you turn off Hyper Threat in the BIOS and make sure that you have a correct affinity mask set in you FSX.cfg? Because if you did not, you may be running on just 1 or 2 cores. 

FPS is not important. Don't get caught up in the numbers game

I totally agree with this- I only get about 22-25fps but its as smooth as silk

The obvious weakest link in your setup is the video card.

You are tring to run two monitors on a three and a half year old low end card with only one gig of memory.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

gboz hit it right on the head.. The GTS450 is only going to hinder FS.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Well, my motherboard has a graca onboard and so I use that ablility of the i7 CPU. So, one monitor is driven by the "old" nvidia and the small monitor is by the mainboard. It has not much to do, cause I run FSX in full resolution on the 32" TFT.

So now, I got a very good motherboard, CPU, RAM, SSD as main drive, own HDD for teh FSX, but a rather old graca.  Is it because of the graca that I cant get my fsx stable at 30fps even at aerosoft heathrow or eddf with active sky evolution, rex and realistic ai traffic and rain at sunset, flying with pmdg??? FSX is old by now and still I cant get a good smooth experience without OC, using Water cooling, over 4.5GHz?

My i7 is without TH, FSX uses all 4 cores, all drivers are up to date and even my graca is OC shy to its limit.  I aint got 140 bugs for a new decent graphiccard this month, maybe next month...