Sign in to follow this  
raymar

How complicated is it to move or relocate a default FSX runway to the proper location?

Hello All,

Using MegaSceneryEarth v2 to replace the FSX default scenery is a huge step in seeing the real world, maybe as it was a couple of years ago but still much improved over the FSX default. One of the problems for me is now it is painfully obvious the placement of the airports, especially the smaller home town type single runways with one or two hangars are misplaced in location by a few yards and a few degrees of alignment.

Can the average flight simmer, using mostly free programs move and properly align these runways? I have ADE and it is obvious the lat and long assignments in the Runways.txt file are not the same as the lat/long locations listed at AirNav or Skyvector for these airports. There are hundreds of misplaced runways in FSX and it would be nice to be able to relocate some of them if it is not too involved.

This image show a fairly typical misplaced runway and apron. The layout and size seems to be close enough but the alignment and location is not so good.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ray

This is 2M4 Montgomery airport, Forest MS but is fairly typical of many similar misplaced airports in FSX.

ForestMSMontgomeryAirport_zps54a11a9e.jp

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

With Airport Design Editor it is a simple task. I am heading out the door now but google in and you should find some useful info. Providing of course you have the SDK

Cheers

Can the average flight simmer, using mostly free programs move and properly align these runways?

Yes. ScruffyDuck ‘s ADE should do the job quite easily.

In slew mode get your coordinates from the MSE scenery (center your plane at both ends of the runway) or perhaps you can load the MSE 2M4 BMP onto ADE as background.

Edit the stock 2M4 airport BGL (realign the runway and apron), compile and save to the stock FSX addon folder. Make sure you add your FSX scenery addon folder to the scenery list and enable it. (TOP entry)

Testing can take some time since (most times) scenery won't refresh after some edits and you'lll have to disable-enable the layer and refresh the scenery quite a few times.

(Moving the plane to a faraway airport also helps. Do that before refreshing the scenery)

Note: Moving a complete Airport (Requires a ProKey from ADE)

Edit: I see some guys already responded.

I haven't tried Airport Studio, but I read it has real time edit.

Ramon,

Wow, what a great response and link for Scruffy Duck's latest ADE.  I need to find out what a ProKey is before I get to excited though.

Thanks for taking the time to post the instructions and options.  I may be able to do this after all.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I need to find out what a ProKey is before I get to excited though.

Pro Key opens up some advanced capabilities in ADE, including the ability to move a complete airport.

For what you are trying to do it is worth the (I think) $10.

You can load a background image into ADE, then move the complete airport to match.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif