Sign in to follow this  
ESGG

Problems with engines and some other stuff

Hi!

First some small "things":

When contacting the ground crew "ground from cockpit"  they don't answer with "go ahead". But if I ask them to connect or disconnect groundpower they do that and the conversations is working between us.

"Skip" is not working when you want to proceed with no action in the checklist. 

The Descent Checklist is not working very well for us flying outside US, since it starts with the altimeters, and at 10 000 when we are suppose to read it we are still on FL. And a "skip" is not working as I mentioned above. An option to have it "below the line"?

Overall I think you get very little support with the altimeters since your co-pilot not monitoring either Transition Altitudes or Transition Levels, couldn't that have been included in the Briefing so he knew (and reminds you) when they are coming? Speeds is also something he don't to know anything about. Having the Vapp or Vref included in the briefing would have been nice, since this plane can loose speed very quickly when all is set up for landing and a second eye would prevent you to getting "slow and low". Just some ideas.

For the commands I would say that perhaps it would have been better to take a more "conservative" way then to be 100% realistic. I A S is not the easiest combination of letters, even for native english speakers, at least couldn't we have been using "speed" instead?. The "Climb List thing" is to much, especially at that busy phase of the flight I think.

Finally, the engine thing. Perhaps this have something to do with my setup, since no one else reported this problem. When I ask for Climb Checklist below the line ("Props 900, Below the line), the FO is shutting down my no 1. This have happened on every flight and for sure, an engine failure that often is not good for your heart :huh: I have been able to restart it, but then my no 2 have been going to MCP and get stuck there so I will have asymetric trust for the rest of the flight. Perhaps it's mentioned in the manual somewhere how to get rid of that. First I was thinking it was my throttle (I have a second quadrant programmed for the condition levers) but I have tried having it disabled and the problem is still there. Then I decide to let my FO take care of the engines all together. He starts no 2, but pulls the condition lever all the way up to MIN instead of START/FEATHER. When I ask him to start no 1 he confirms and and do the correct things overhead, but the condition lever never moves (and the engine is not coming on line unless I move it). So, any ideas whats going on here? As far as I can see I have no buttons or other controls programmed who can interfere with the condition levers.

Thanks anyway for a good product, just a few things that have to be sorted out.

Regards

Johnny     

Johnny Holmgren

Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

Hi Johnny,

1. I'll double check "go ahead".  

2. "Skip" should only be used if, for whatever reason, the speech recognition system doesn't detect what you're expected to say.

It's meant to be used in limited circumstances.  It's not meant for skipping everything.

You'll want to use "expected responses" as described in the Tutorial.

3. I don't quite follow the Descent Checklist issue.

You should call "Descent Checklist to the Line" right after passing the Top of Descent.

You'd then call "Below the Line" when passing 10,000 feet in the descent.

If you're in Europe or America, that should make no difference.

4. Condition Levers:

They work fine on my system.  I just tested it and when the FO starts Engine 2, he sets the Condition Lever to Start/Feather.

When FS2Crew is setting the condition lever, we're using a stock FS event command.

I'm wondering if it's the way your condition levers are calibrated.

In your Majestic Config Manager under Engine settings, do the numbers look like these:

controlpanel.JPG

Hi Bryan!

Thanks for a quick reply as usual. I think you point me in the right direction with the engines. I never thought this part was important if you didn't use some hardware to control the engines. Now he starts them (even if he put the levers up to MIN), but most importantly not shut down my left engine any more when I call for the "climb below the line".

The checklist thing. In Brendans tutorial (from the Majestics website) he says that the descent checklist is called for when passing transition level, which is logical since it's start with the altimeters setting and you pass that at 18 000 in the States. But in Europe you normally getting down to 6000 or 5000 before you pass transition level and set altimeters to local pressure.

Off course the whole point is to have the speech recognition to understand as much as possible, but if you get stuck somewhere there is no way to come through. I have tested to use "skip" but I can not get it to work, even if I can see that the system is reading the word correct. FO is not continue with the next item in the checklist. In the NGX you normally have the responses the other way around for many things, like the voltage, PSI etc first and then "set" or "checked" as a separate word. That's making it much easier when you have problems with speech recognition, noise around or other stuff. I just have a feeling that some will think this one will be a bit to complicated to use, especially for us who have another native language then English.

Finally, as I said in my first post, I never hear groundcrew say "go ahead", and today I also noticed they don't say anything when I tell them "we are ready for engine start". Not sure what they are suppose to say about that, but I was expecting something like the response you get with the NGX. Since I hear them when they connect and disconnect the ground power it's very weird, and I understand from others posts that some hear them say, at least in parts, "go ahead".

Regards

Johnny     

Johnny Holmgren

The checklist thing. In Brendans tutorial (from the Majestics website) he says that the descent checklist is called for when passing transition level, which is logical since it's start with the altimeters setting and you pass that at 18 000 in the States. But in Europe you normally getting down to 6000 or 5000 before you pass transition level and set altimeters to local pressure.

The fact is, both Brendan's tutorial and FS2Crew were designed according to a certain US operator's SOPs, so they will naturally reflect specific US procedures.

Maybe if you're outside the US and Canada, ie if FS2Crew is set to a non-US voice set, the Altimeters item could be removed from the descent checklist. Then you would just state "xxx set crosscheck" upon passing the TL.

Michael Faia

Banner_FS2Crew_Beta_Tester.jpg

Maybe this a dumb question, but where can I get access to Brendan's tutorial or is it in the manual or a YouTube video?

Joe

Joe Porter

ngxu_banner.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Beta_Tester.jpg

Maybe this a dumb question, but where can I get access to Brendan's tutorial or is it in the manual or a YouTube video?

Joe

At Majestic website, under Resources, Tutorials, Detailed Tutorial Flight

Regards

Johnny

Johnny Holmgren

Guys,

Important to note:

Brendan's tutorial does not superseded the FS2Crew tutorial.

Brendan's tutorial was modified by him personally to match single pilot ops.

FS2Crew, of course, is based on two crew ops.

However, there's a lot of commonality.  

FS2Crew's procedures are generally much closer to Brendan's old airline than Brendan's modified tutorial.

The Ground crew not saying "Go ahead" is a bug... I'll address it in V1.2, which I'll release shortly. 

In the NGX you normally have the responses the other way around for many things, like the voltage, PSI etc first and then "set" or "checked" as a separate word.

The Q400 is tougher to fly than the 737 NG.

The SOPs modeled are straight out of the airline's we modeled, word for word more or less.

Thanks for a quick reply as usual. I think you point me in the right direction with the engines. I never thought this part was important if you didn't use some hardware to control the engines. Now he starts them (even if he put the levers up to MIN), but most importantly not shut down my left engine any more when I call for the "climb below the line".

Glad you got that sorted.

However, no promises, in V1.2, we're going to try to incorporate a way so the FO set set the Condition Levers accurately regardless of any custom calibration you may have done with the Prop Lever.

Cheers,