Hello all,

I have been a devoted fs9 user for the past 10 years.  I recently purchased and assembled a new gaming rig and I was shocked to see how low my frames per second were when playing FSX on max settings.  I understand FSX is a beast and very hardware intensive.  I'm curious if my experience is normal or if something is wrong on my system.

My rig:

Win 7 64 bit

Asus Z87 Pro 

Intel i7 4770

16 gb Corsair DDR3

Gigabyte GTX 770 2gb DDR5

Rosewill 750W PSU

My OS is installed on a SSD while FSX is installed off a 1TB 7200 HDD.  Both the SSD and HDD are connected via SATA 3 ports.

All drivers including the nvidia drivers are up to date as far as I know.

I have zero addons installed into FSX.  When flying around a large airport with the default fair weather selected, my frames will go as low as the 12-14 fps.

Any tips on how to improve this or a reassuring reality check about the poor performance would help me out.

Jeff

Hello messifan10,

I'm not entirely sure what other information you are looking for.  As I said originally, I am getting 12-14 fps when i'm near an airport or major city.  I just expected with the hardware I have in my computer that it would preform a little better than that.

Also as I said originally, I have no freeware or payware software installed.  Just FSX Deluxe and the 2 service packs associated with it.  

And I know nothing about cfg.  

Is getting fps in the low teens normal with today's newest hardware?

Something's wrong with your set-up or settings.  You should not be that low with default scenery and aircraft --  but you will if you literally have all sliders maxed -- you can not do that on any system.  Road traffic should be at 15% or less; marine traffic at 20% or less; and airport ground vehicles I'd keep at low.  Keep AI traffic at 40% or less.  Turn off ground shadows (Aircraft casts shadow on ground should be Okay).  Try turning autogen down one notch from max.  You do not need everything on max to enjoy great visuals.  A couple of config edits may also be helpful, but try the above first.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

when i fly into e.k.s  fsdreamteam airports i got the same fps,on my 3770k 4,5 and gtx 780

12-15 with UT 2 and pmdg,s aircraft,i have learned to live whit that.That is fsx!!! if you now what i mean.

you wont get 40 fps in all airports,it,s impossible in fsx,but you can get it really smooth with only 15-20 fps with dx10

but it,s gonna  cost a little work with your CFG file

you have to face that fsx is NOT fs9,you dont need 50 fps to make fsx runs great,it is optimized to 20 fps.

i have the same feeling when i begin in fsx,after fs9,but dont worry we help you all we can.

Thank for the advice!

I tweaked a few small things like you said turnandbank and I was flying the pattern at Seattle at a clean and smooth 30fps.  It obviously dips if I'm taxing between terminals but with the minor tweaks it works much-much better and you can't even notice any change in the overall graphics.  I'll be excited to see what happens when I start over clocking the i7.  

Messifan10, thanks I will look into that cfg file.  

Cheers fellas.

Thank for the advice!

I tweaked a few small things like you said turnandbank and I was flying the pattern at Seattle at a clean and smooth 30fps.  It obviously dips if I'm taxing between terminals but with the minor tweaks it works much-much better and you can't even notice any change in the overall graphics.  I'll be excited to see what happens when I start over clocking the i7.  

Messifan10, thanks I will look into that cfg file.  

Cheers fellas.

You're welcome.  Overclocking can give you a bit more headroom as well.  You may want to try experimenting with a couple of  config file tweaks as well.  I use 

[bufferPools]
UsePools=0

[Display]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=80
WideViewAspect=True   //This is important if you are using a widescreen monitor

[Main]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.12
UsePools=0

I also lock frames to 30 inside fsx.

You should also be using Nvidia Inspector to configure some of you graphics settings.

It takes quite some time to sort through all of this, but the important thing to remember is that you have sliders for a reason.  In rural areas you can often turn settings higher and maintain a solid 30fps, but in busy urban areas + addons and complex aircraft you may have to give up some of the eye candy and be happy with a smooth 20fps.  At the end of the day it's about smoothness more the fps.  

One more thing -- Don't use light bloom unless you are using the DX10 preview which I would only recommend if you plan to purchase the DX10 fixer.  Best to get everything working well in DX9 first.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2