Sign in to follow this  
BeechPapa

iOS vs. Android FS Apps

My iPhone 3GS’s non-replaceable lithium ion battery has expanded to the point that the back is breaking apart and the battery is now visible through the cracks. If lithium ion gets exposed to air it can be trouble, so I keep the phone in a metal pot now and plan to replace it soon. Due to this battery thing and other personal issues with Apple’s ecosystem, I am looking at going the Android route, but still have some reservations. One aspect is the app stores, and the availability of apps for FSX. I am not a real life pilot so don’t need heavy duty Garmin or Foreflight tools, but have used lighter "real-life" flight planning tools on my iPhone. This includes an E6B, nice free UTC calculator so I can find out what the UTC time in another country will be anytime in the future or past (great for historic flight planning), and VFR chart apps. I know there are plenty of iOS apps for FSX and popular birds like the NGX, but because my iPhone has been limping along for a while and my patience for Apple thinning, I never bothered investing in those. I’m curious how the availability and quality of FS apps (and real aviation apps too) compare between iOS and Android. It would be ideal if someone with experience on both platforms could answer, but all thoughtful and unbiased responses are appreciated. They are both respectable platforms for their own purposes so please keep it open and civil. Thanks.

No experience with Android but I use a number of the RemoteFlight apps on my iPhone and iPad and they are very good (http://remoteflight.net/). They are all reasonably priced and there seems to virtually no lag between the PC monitor and the apps. At the flight sim show at Cosford last year, the author of Plan-G said that he was hoping to produce an iOS version some time in the future.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Thanks for the reply. The iPhone/iPad apps usually operate smoothly, and the selection seems to be wider than Android. That's the one major thing holding me back from switching. 

There are a number of flight apps for Android that are quite good. I made the switch from the Apple ecosystem to Android almost two years ago, and haven't lacked for apps to do whatever I need to do. You can browse the Google Play Store to take a look at what is available. I've found apps here to be of variable quality in user-interface, but I've always been able to find something that meets my needs, although sometimes not quite as elegant in appearance as the IOS version. There are E6B, UTC, and VFR chart apps.

There are several NGX -specific apps on Android: FS2Crew Flight Crew Sim and Flight Crew Assistant.

There are a number of flight apps for Android that are quite good. I made the switch from the Apple ecosystem to Android almost two years ago, and haven't lacked for apps to do whatever I need to do. You can browse the Google Play Store to take a look at what is available. I've found apps here to be of variable quality in user-interface, but I've always been able to find something that meets my needs, although sometimes not quite as elegant in appearance as the IOS version. There are E6B, UTC, and VFR chart apps.

There are several NGX -specific apps on Android: FS2Crew Flight Crew Sim and Flight Crew Assistant.

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. It's nice that Google allows people to browse and download apps through a browser instead of a closed system like iTunes... part of the openness in platform I was looking for. I browsed the store and could find an equivalent for everything I have on iOS. I also checked out the FSPause site, in case I ever wanted to buy it, and that works on most mobile browsers. So the only major FS apps I found missing from Android were RemoteFlight. No biggie. In general, I was impressed with the selection of apps on Google Play and there seemed to be a large concentration of free apps.    

No experience with Android but I use a number of the RemoteFlight apps on my iPhone and iPad and they are very good (http://remoteflight.net/). They are all reasonably priced and there seems to virtually no lag between the PC monitor and the apps. At the flight sim show at Cosford last year, the author of Plan-G said that he was hoping to produce an iOS version some time in the future.

Do these apps allow FSX to run "Full Screen"?

Do these apps allow FSX to run "Full Screen"?

If by full screen you mean can you use them with the external view in FSX filling the screen, then yes you can with the cockpit app. However, you would be restricted to a fairly basic cockpit with no additional avionics, switches or click-spots. If you mean with FSX full-screen rather than windowed, again yes. I use the Radio HD app on my iPad (excellent and should really be called Radio/Autopilot/Transponder) and flip between the Map and HSI apps on my iPhone depending on the stage of flight. Note that, according to their web site, in Radio HD "Autopilot features will not work on payware aircraft with custom autopilot (such as PMDG, LevelD, Wilco etc.)" - I've found that it works well with all of the RealAir and A2A aircraft that I've tried it with.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

The Avsim.com review of the IOS Remote Flight can be found here. http://forum.avsim.net/page/index.html/_/reviews/remoteflight-–-flight-simulator-gauges-for-appl-r1141

I keep hoping for some additional instruments like Manifold Pressure and twin engine RPM/MP/Fuel Flow.  I would also like to see a few single and twin engine pure jet instruments. A full screen or near full screen (iPad screen) PFD would also be a very welcome addition.

But, what is presently offered is excellent and at a very reasonable price.  You will most likely elect to get the extra package with the additional gauges.  I did.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .