Sign in to follow this  
Singularity

FS Genesis- Cannot get it to work, exhausted all resources and options, looking for help.

Hey all,

Last night I purchased the FS Genesis World Terrain Mesh for FSX. 

I have been at it since 1pm and it is now 9pm- I am confused as all get out.

I followed the method I found on another forum and created a separate director outside of FSX and it now contains all the .BGL files in a subdirectory called "scenery".

I select it in FSX, and it goes through the process of building the terrain data, objects, etc.

However, it does not look different at all from the stock scenery. ZERO difference to my eye.

Now, I fully leave the option that I am stupid completely open.

Is this terrain mesh NOT supposed to be stand-alone? Is it supposed to work in conjunction with other add-ons? Or, is it just that the differences are so subtle that I won't notice them?

I am on Windows 7 64-bit with an older Quad Core CPU with 6GB RAM and I just purchased a GTX 650 XLR8 card. Nothing great but gets the job done for now, I am more concerned with learning how to fly, navigation, aircraft systems, etc than eye candy.

Am I missing something? I don't have DX10 activated and I have all the sliders all the way max in the "Scenery" menu under settings. 

Feel free to let me know if I am stupid. I started flying flight sims back in 1991 when I got F15 Strike Eagle for my C64 but I really didn't get back into it until fairly recently.

thanks everyone.

S.

Why are you installing outside of FSX directory?  If I recall, FSGenesis installs BGL files into the base scenery directory in FSX, why not use the installer as is that installs into the default directory?  If size is an issue, use a symbolic link, which is I use for ORBX scenery with much success.

I have nearly every FSGenesis product with no issues except some airport elevation problems that can be fixed manually, but if you don't notice a difference from default there is a big install issue.

Hey Hawkeye,

It was recommended via a tutorial thread on another forum (not sure if I am supposed to post threads to other forums on here).

It seemed that to work for a lot of people and the author of the tutorial is a pretty well-respected member so I decided to go with it. It is supposed to help with de-cluttering your add-ons as opposed to installing it in the FSX/scenery directory.

I want to add that I did also try the default install as you mention with the same results.

I took of FSX completely (deleted all the saved files etc) so I am pretty perturbed at these results.

From the looks of it, I should be noticing a difference right off the bat?

ps

Nice avatar, I own the TacPack from VRS. 

The advantage of having mesh in it's own Scenery Library entry is the ability to easily turn it off.

The differences between addon and default mesh will be subtle in some areas and impossible to see in areas that are "flat".

To see the differences you need to do some testing.

Use a plane in slew mode, use the 2D panel and press "W" until you have an unobstructed view.

Pick a mountainous region for testing. With the mesh activated slew around and take some screenshots. Save a flight everywhere you take a screenshot.

Now disable the mesh, load the saved flights one at a time and take a screenshot.

Now compare the screenshots and you will see if there is any difference.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Joe-

Thanks for the info, that is good to know I will do some testing.

I was looking for a quality jump in the flatter areas around Frankfurt, London, etc. 

Hey Singularity, even in relatively flat areas I've noticed pretty cool differences like the sloping at the edges of lakes and rivers and nice foothills.

I've never had the need to disable the mesh, it works great, so never had the need or desire to install outside of it to worry about disabling it.  I'd fly around the rockies or something to compare though if you wanna make sure.

In general though FSGenesis + FTX Global has been the biggest bang for the buck improvements I've ever done

Ya, I did some flying around too in the Himalayas. No difference whatsoever. Maybe there is some registry issues from my previous installation? At a loss, I might try emailing FS Genesis.

What do you have your Mesh Resolution set at in FSX Settings\Display ?

Do you have any other mesh products (or other scenery products which may contain mesh e.g. UTX) ?

I assume you see FSGenesis listed correctly in your Scenery Library ? I don't think it matters where you put it - I'm pretty sure FSX will use the highest resolution available wherever you happen to be.

For the record, I have FSGenesis mesh installed as you describe and it works well. I also have a couple other mesh products, all installed to their own folders, and it's useful being able to switch between them by enabling/disabling them in the Scenery Library.

What do you have your Mesh Resolution set at in FSX Settings\Display ?

My thoughts also. Make sure it's set correctly to get the most out of the new higher resolution mesh.

Hope you get it sorted soon!

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Hey guys,

My resolution settings are set to the absolute highest setting.

Still nothing- I tried slewing around the Himalayas, and switching between the stock scenery and the Mesh with no difference.

I then tried re-installing using the directory that the install recommends (FSX/scenery) and I still did not see any difference.

I do not have any other mesh installed. 

I'm not sure how much difference you will see with the "World Terrain Mesh" product. It will be fairly subtle and in some areas of the world I think default FSX is going to actually have higher resolution than the World Terrain Mesh 76m.

If you are comparing FSGenesis with FSX mesh at the same high resolution it may be even more difficult to see. I think it is mostly going to be correcting any errors or anomalies in FSX. Others are probably more knowledgeable on this than me.

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

Thanks Jesse. At this point I can only conclude that it in fact IS working but like you said it's just too subtle. I cannot see any reason why it wouldn't be working.

I just got the Feel There E175/195 and I plan on spending time learning that aircraft (comes with a pretty sweet FMS that's quite deep) and learning more about flight planning so I guess maybe I will start to see some differences as time passes.

Thanks all.