Sign in to follow this  
WebSimConnect

Bringing HTML5 into FSX/Prepar3d add-ons

Hi All,

I developed embedded HTML browser for FSX/Prepar3d. You can use it for your own add-on development as it can be linked to FSX engine.

Please watch the video to see what I mean:

Enjoy it, cheers

Marcin

• Upvote 4

I'm out watching this video on my iPad but this is a fantastic tool! Thank you for sharing this with us and I'm sure this will be a highly valued asset for FSX in no time.

I'm confused... you're connecting to the internet to see how fast your plane's going in the sim??? In short... what's HTML got that isn't already in the sim? I really don't see anything of value here... and not trying to knock it... just not seeing it.

Hoping someone can explain it to me.

Also, since it's HTML... what type of protection is built in to prevent malicious code?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Ed, did you not notice how he's managed to have the external resources (such as the browser, Google maps, Bing maps, etc. display in the 3d cockpit on the $VC polygon?

That is rather amazing, actually...

I know that David Drouin paid nearly $500 for a .dll that allows him to display PDF files as a "gauge", such as charts that are freely available.

With this system that should now be a trivial task, and it's free...

Not only that, but since the system is agnostic, one can easily use it to create iOS, Android or WindowsPhone applications...

• Upvote 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Uh... #1 source of malware--> HTML. No thanks!

Oh and Bill, no one asked me about displaying charts... doesn't need to cost that much, really... and it doesn't require HTML either.

And Kenzo.. dislike all you want... LOL.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Marcin

That is rather amazing, actually...

I agree!

It is amazing how far Flight Simulator enthusiasts keep pushing the envelope.

Thanks for sharing.

Saying #1 source of malware > Html is like saying #1 source of Malware.. the internet.. 

It has no more repercussions than the browser on your computer you view this page with. A pretty worthless point IMO.

No browser or gauge will increase someones capacity for common sense or decrease the desire to fill their PC with crap.

--

Martyn Pearson

Hi All,

just to address WarpD concerns:

I'm confused... you're connecting to the internet to see how fast your plane's going in the sim??? In short...

The point of the soft is not to browse the internet in your FSX. That would be kind of stupid with so many other tools around. Watching YouTube, Twitting, checking your FB profile is not a point here, however a chat window for your Mulitiplayer server would be an useful for example.

Everything on your computer can be achived with different tools/technologies. My goal was to bring HTML5 into the world of FSX add-ons. In fact, FSX has already embedded HTML browsing that is used for example in the Kneeboard module. It's a very old code (IE4 I guess) supporting static content. In FS9 it was open for add-ons, but was "closed" for FSX. HTML5 is a powerfull tool for developing end solutions and compared with C++ it is much easier to do it. IMHO the best usage is to use rendering engine and have logic in classic DLL, you could even protect your HTML & JavaScript code as being embedded in your DLL, but nothing stops you to build FSX related web pages in just HTML5.

so to answer your question:

what's HTML got that isn't already in the sim

nothing, it's just a different way to do the same things ;) It's just a tool and up to you how to make the use of it. If you drill down into details, you will see how HTML5 powerful is ...

Also, since it's HTML... what type of protection is built in to prevent malicious code?

standard Chromium security settings, but as I said, it's not for internet browsing....

Last point is n4gix comment about PDF.

Unfortunatelly my rendering cannot hanndle browser add-on modules like PDF built in viewer as in most of the browsers, however the same can be achieved with HTML5 PDF reader. There are some available on the market (payware and freeware). I will test one that fits best for chart viewwing and post my results soon. I guess sonner or later Chrome will include built in PDF viewer for HTML5 (there is some licence issue with the current dll module) but untill now, we need to use some 3party tool.

regards

Marcin

So.. this is all Google Chrome?

Something I don't and won't have on my system... Google already tracks too much about me as it is... LOL

HTML is a security leak, that's why the kneeboard was locked down in FSX.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

If you drill down into details, you will see how HTML5 powerful is ...

This is pretty cool, but as I understand it HTML5 can only work in a sandbox, so how would you access local resources (outside of the standard limited set)?  Now Silverlight 5 on the other hand in OOB mode can access anything local (provided user agrees of course).  Just sayin' :)

Yeah, I'm a little bias given how Silverlight got axed by Microsoft in favor of HTML 5 just because of the "sandbox" issue and Apple's platforms ... another superior technology killed by Microsoft.

But regardless of my bias, what you've demonstrated is pretty cool ... I imagine the same could be done with Silverlight 5.

Cheers, Rob

Ed,

HTML is a security leak, that's why the kneeboard was locked down in FSX.

That is very interesting. So the standard mark up language has a security leak ?

I do not want get into pointless disscusion. What I mean is that you can control the content, whether local or internet based. The same way you trust any DLL installed on your system including FSX ads-on.

So.. this is all Google Chrome?

No, you do not need to install any browser on your pc (includng Chrome) to run WebSimGauge, They are completely disconnected. It just uses Chromium engine (same as Chrome browser) , which is BTW the only serious open source project for web browsing.

FSX Kneeboard is based on MS IE browsing from 2004. Yes ths implementation (not HTML standard) has security leaks(nothng to do with my implementation), but even so, it is still the user who controls the content i.e. you still chose which site to browse, right ?

Bob,

This is pretty cool, but as I understand it HTML5 can only work in a sandbox, so how would you access local resources

Any browser can access local or remote resource which you could limit in configuration if you want and based on that a page could do what it is allowed in any browser. Now, to answer you question, you can access FSX in two ways with my soft:

1) using local HTTP server I developed - WebSimConnect. It's kind of wrapper of simconnect.dll for http access. It alows to create HTML pages connected to FSX and browsed on any browser from any locaton. Some examples on my YouTube.

2) using your own DLL. In fact you can link your C++ code with HTML code. So logic and FSX connectivity in DLL and rendering in HTML. The user will see and interact ONLY what the addon developer will allow him to do.   IMHO this is the way for any serious developer who would like to take advantage of HTML5 rendering. For own use, local HTML page will do.

as for HTML5 vs Silverlight,  I am not the one who rules the market :) looks like html5 won the battle which is not a surprise for me... In fact Silverlight was targeted to fight with Adobe, looks like both were defeated with HTML5.

Cheers, Marcin

Great work Marcin! It's these types of outside the box, inventive, and progressive tools that make up for the "niche-ness" of our community. I feel that this tool can have endless possibilities when implemented creatively. By opening up the development capabilities to a larger group of skill sets, you have inherently increased the creative pool for the community.  Unfortunately, as proven above our niche is a double edged sword as it seems to attract some of the most pedantic, negative, and closed minded thoughts as well. Don't sweat 'em though, thanks for your hard work!   :db:

Any browser can access local or remote resource which you could limit in configuration if you want and based on that a page could do what it is allowed in any browser.

Don't want to side track you with SL5 vs. HTML5 debate, like you said HTML5 won.  If you aren't having any issues accessing all available local resources without user prompts then this seem like a great product with LOTS of potential ... actually if you have SimConnect working then local access is probably not even relevant.

I think what you've done is very impressive ... some things that come to mind is connecting via web services to a massive multi-user flight arena where we could monitor everyone's flights and interact with others while flying, what they are doing and when (so long as they participate) and even organize simulated flight meetings, cooperative missions, even stream images/video all from within a P3D view.  With SimConnect access you can have remote trainers interacting directly in the VC and even monitoring systems and correct one's errors and much much more all while flying.  I guess this can be done today, but having it packaged in the VC is pretty slick!

Will HTML5 content influence VAS footprint?  

Great work.

Cheers, Rob.

This is very cool... after spending half the day making a static AT-502B model for an airport scenery I'm doing, my mind is no buzzing with ideas for this...

I think I feel yet another distraction coming on! :lol:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.