turner112

Thinking about multiple monitors- not sure what to do

Hi all,

I'm running:

Dell XPS 8300

Intel Core i5-2320 3GHz
16 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

I currently run two monitors. I've customized a few panels to make both monitors largely full of instruments, with only a relatively small out-the-window view on my "main" monitor.

Anyway, I'd like to be able to do two things:

1) Add a third larger monitor for the out-the-window view and keep the two I currently have strictly as instrument monitors.

2) Eventually, create a 3-monitor wide display for the out-the-window view and use two smaller monitors for the instruments (Total of 5)

I've read about the THTG and Eyefinity stuff but don't know enough about it yet to determine which, if either, would be more ideal to incorporate at some point.

Any suggestions appreciated!

thanks,

Andrew

Any suggestions appreciated!

The TH2G will get you that extra monitor socket but that's about all

whereas a new graphics card could see a good increase in performance,

especially if you are using P3D.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Something I'm looking into is getting 2 additional monitors that rotate 90 degrees to add onto my multi-monitor setup. This way, I can see both out the windshield and the instruments at the same size as the actual aircraft I'm flying. Of course, I can stack 2 monitors on top of each other but I'd prefer getting 2 vertical monitors so I don't get a gap of plastic in-between the windshield and panel.

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

The TH2G will get you that extra monitor socket but that's about all

whereas a new graphics card could see a good increase in performance,

especially if you are using P3D.

gb.

Hi gb - thanks for the note.

Do you mean add a card, or replace what I've got?

Any suggestions?

cheers

Andrew

Hi gb - thanks for the note.

Do you mean add a card, or replace what I've got?

Any suggestions?

cheers

Andrew

I was thinking of replacement if you have the budget for a decent current card.

Most cards will now do at least four monitors on their own.

Not a hundred percent sure of this but it should also work better on it's own than rather than running with your 550Ti.

Finding another (second hand?) card similar to the 550 might be the cheapest way to get another monitor output. If you are only using it for 2D panels there should not be much of a performance hit.

Guess it really depends on whether you are happy with just that extra video output or whether you are looking to upgrade the system at the same time.

gb.

2) Eventually, create a 3-monitor wide display for the out-the-window view and use two smaller monitors for the instruments (Total of 5)

I can't see your present system handeling this at all.

You will really need CPU speed above 4GHz and a very good graphics card.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Hi. Just got a GTX780 3G with three AOC 27" LED monitors running. With FSX and ORBX scenery of New Zealand North Island, the results are just outstanding.especially in the standard FSX glider. But what bugged me was forgetting to install FSUIPC and adding HIGHMEMFIX=1 into the new overclocked 4.5GHz PC. Also using two old generation iPads, one for a six pack of instruments and one for a GPS map. Hope this helps. Peter in NZ.

Hey - so i'm totally excited.  Just got my new (and first) DS system up and running.smiley5.gif  I'll post about that experience and how great it's been later.  This is specific to monitors.  I want to build a cockpit simulator and have a 3 TV setup.  Specs for my system are below.  As i write this i am displayed on 1 46" Samsung LCD TV and the output is great.  The Sim Experience w/ FSX Acceleration turned on high everything is amazing.  I was hoping to now expand this to 3 Televisions.  This TV is 6 years old and my normal entertainment one, so i planned on buying 3 new ones all of the same brand.  Having a slim boarder is important to me to reduce field of view blockages.  Question: what would you guys recommend ? I don't see the need to spend a ton of money per TV since they all seem to be pretty good and cheap now-a-days.  Also - what cords and/or software would i need to buy in order to make this 3 screen setup happen ? I'm liking the 46" for height and will likely buy 3 of those.  Thanks!

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm ODE V3
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-C (Intel Z87 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance
Power Supply: 750W Corsair CX750M
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (120GB Samsung 840 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Seagate)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)

Hi Guys. Having gone through the high system specifications in building a three 27" monitor system, the best, best thing I did was upgrade to a 440G SSD drive as the C drive. I can out all my downloaded scenery and FSX disks on there. So in the case of a reload of FSX, it's minutes not hours. Also FSX loads in about 10 s, not 10 minutes!

Hi Guys. Having gone through the high system specifications in building a three 27" monitor system, the best, best thing I did was upgrade to a 440G SSD drive as the C drive. I can load all my downloaded scenery and FSX disks on there. So in the case of a reload of FSX, it's minutes not hours. Also FSX loads in about 10 s, not 10 minutes!

... I'm running 1 46" Plasma TV which accommodates my VC, and 2x15" widescreen monitors over TH2G for my instruments, I like this setup, however,  the limit field of view and the limited resolution of the 1920x1080 make me think of  switching  to 3x27" with much higher resolution and a better area coverage ... considering FSX limitations, I still didn't figure out how this can be achieved , and not sure how will it impact my FPS rate with my GTX580 card ..

Cheers