Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

01APR14 - PMDG 777-200LR/F Feature Preview - WX RADAR

As great as this 777 addon is.. im still waiting for the shared cockpit to be done? if majestic can do it perfectly, and have already made the first fully working implemented weather radar for FSX, shared cockpit, they've done alot of things first so why praise PMDG the most for being second?

Yes, the DHM is what I like about Opus. I'm just afraid my computer will sag down running both. But for the sake of a weather radar it's definitely worth sacrificing it.

I use OPUS on my main PC for my buttkicker, ASN runs networked on the second PC for weather.  Have not had any issues runnnig both.  EZDOK also gives you good DHM from ASN

Rob Prest

Hi,

I AM SPEECHLESS! Thank you so much guys for this amazing update!!! I have two questions though...

1.) Will the WXR radar come with PWS like the real Collins 2100? And....

2.) Will we be able to make D-ATIS requests via the "Flight Information" page in the COMM menu? I know that it works over ACARS but so does the PERF, ALTN etc. datalink request via the FMC though they come from different providers (Airport vs. airline dispatch office)?

Thanks in advance

Freddy  ^_^

That is just about perfect!

And just as I am about to get back to flight simming, too! I guess it is time to finally buy the 777 and ASN as well.

Slow clap and hats off to you PMDG and of course Hi-FI.

Just need to convince the girlfriend now... B)

Once again, PMDG never fail to amaze with their prowess. It's good to see what can happen when multiple developers pool their resources. 

Excellent Job to both HiFi and PMDG

Great news!

Quick qeustion for SP1 - will there be an option to remove the boeing clock in the cockpit, since new 777's don't have those anymore?

Can you confirm this will work with ASN via a network? I would be surprised if it wasn't. ASN seems to work exactly the same for me not matter what machine I run it on.

I run ASN networked and it works very nicely.

Kyle Rodgers

Great news . Now Angle Of attack or community has a chance to light me up using a WX RADAR as in real live as i dont have a clue :wacko: 

Michael 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Couple questions, will there be documentation included with SP1 on how to properly operate the radar?

Probably, though I'm relatively certain nobody will read it.

Any way to have this put in SP2 for the NGX?

Most of the reason for all of the public announcement of SP2 for the NGX was to take advantage of the lessons learned and improvements in the 777 and roll them back into the NGX.  So, that being said, last I heard, it's being considered (Tabs posted something to that effect somewhere on the forum in the last day or so).

And finally, are you all releasing SP1 ahead of the 300ER?

Yes.  This is in one of those update threads:

SP1 has to fix all of the issues in the base 200LR before the 300ER gets added on top of it.  It wouldn't make sense to release an expansion on top of something that isn't fixed.

if majestic can do it perfectly

...which is funny, because it hasn't come out yet.  Are you in posession of a DeLorean that has been highly modified?  Just because the Beta team produces a video showing that it works doesn't mean that it's perfect.  You need look no further than the fact that I had a video showing the 777 in beta stage and we all know it wasn't perfect.

I don't doubt it can be done (there's an old MD80 out there that does it).  I'm just saying don't count your chickens before they hatch.  It's not as simple as a lot of people think it it (otherwise, you'd see it in more add-ons).

have already made the first fully working implemented weather radar for FSX

Really?  Last I checked, it isn't "fully working."  It's just like all of the other "weather radars" out there, like the RXP version that's been around forever.  Sure, it puts pretty colors on your ND, but I've flown through some depicted cells and stayed completely dry.  That's not weather radar...

Kyle Rodgers

It's not as simple as a lot of people think it it (otherwise, you'd see it in more add-ons).

You know what is really interesting? The greatest limitation is the developer themselves, and not the technical complexity involved, that actually stops them doing things.

Best regards,

Robin.

Quick qeustion for SP1 - will there be an option to remove the boeing clock in the cockpit, since new 777's don't have those anymore?

I recall a setting to use analog or digital.

Here's part of the explanation on how it works that got sent to the beta team:

"Elapsed Time (ET) will start counting at lift-off, will freeze at touch-down and will reset to 00:00 when when both fuel cut-off switches transition from off to on.

ET displays on PFD and the STAT display.
If you start the chronometer from the CLOCK switch on the far side of the glareshield, PFD will show CHR instead of ET and a clock with a sweeping hand will draw on the top right corner of the ND. "

You know what is really interesting? The greatest limitation is the developer themselves, and not the technical complexity involved, that actually stops them doing things.

Agreed.  HiFi's weather radar is an example of that.  The previous implementation of shared pit on the ancient MD80 is, as well.  I'm simply pointing out that it's no small feat to get it done and work correctly as some seem to assume.  It's not a matter of just adding a couple lines of code and saying "here ya go!"

Kyle Rodgers

I will have to ask for sure, but I do not believe so currently.

ASN only - HiFi completely rewrote their weather engine for it, AS2012 is not capable of this.

SP1 is in beta testing. 300ER is not as of yet.

So just to be clear, if we are not using ASN the WXR will be completely inop or it will just not be as accurate?

Probably there will be no WXR without ASN. The technology ASN implemented is totally proprietary, nobody comes close to it. So without knowing where the clouds are, and getting the interpretation from it, how could the Radar work?

Alexis Mefano

I recall a setting to use analog or digital.
Here's part of the explanation on how it works that got sent to the beta team:
"Elapsed Time (ET) will start counting at lift-off, will freeze at touch-down and will reset to 00:00 when when both fuel cut-off switches transition from off to on.
ET displays on PFD and the STAT display.
If you start the chronometer from the CLOCK switch on the far side of the glareshield, PFD will show CHR instead of ET and a clock with a sweeping hand will draw on the top right corner of the ND. "

Can you remove the lid on the microphone located on the overhead panel next to the passenger sign knob? Most 777s don't have it nowadays.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Yusuf Keyre

Can you remove the lid on the microphone located on the overhead panel next to the passenger sign knob? Most 777s don't have it nowadays.

haha - pretty sure that one's a little too obscure to be worth modeling.

Kyle Rodgers