Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

01APR14 - PMDG 777-200LR/F Feature Preview - WX RADAR

Asiana apparently doesn't fly with an auto throttle either  :P

The weather radar must have distracted the Asiana's pilots :P

I wouldn't be surprised if US-based airliners would allow their airplanes to fly without a working WX radar, when for instance, I guess that southwest airlines once did not have Auto-throttle installed on their planes :-)

I'm pretty sure it was installed.  It was just restricted from use by SOP, and potentially rendered inop, mechanically.

Kyle Rodgers

I'm pretty sure it was installed.  It was just restricted from use by SOP, and potentially rendered inop, mechanically.

It's not a big deal to fly without auto thrust.  It's how we all started real world flying.  Why on earth would a user of a highly advanced aircraft take away something that seems so integral to the operation of the aircraft?  OK, it's not integral, but it's very helpful.  Why?

It's not a big deal to fly without auto thrust.  It's how we all started real world flying.  Why on earth would a user of a highly advanced aircraft take away something that seems so integral to the operation of the aircraft?  OK, it's not integral, but it's very helpful.  Why?

SWA has always been a little awkward when it comes to technology.  I think most of it is just the corporate culture, but I do know that it has some to do with (claims of) efficiency, along with pilot connection.

They didn't use AT or VNAV until late 2009 (if I remember correctly), and that only really came out of the requirements to get up to speed with RNAV RNP operations.  The argument was that it forced the pilot to keep connected with the plane, and helped to avoid letting skills go to waste (the pilot had to maintain their hand-flying skills, essentially).  Additionally, at one point (and it may still be that) autobrake use was limited to RTO only.  When landing, the pilots had to brake manually.

I was witness to the latter part on a trip out to PHX back in December of 2008.  The pilot wanted a shorter taxi to the gate, so we got on the ground and he jumped right on the brakes.  Because of the abruptness, the FA made the sound of a horse whinnying as if it were being hauled back on the reins.  It was actually pretty funny, despite being partially doubled over on my seat belt.

...and then everyone gave me weird looks for walking around in the 50 degree weather with shorts and a t-shirt.  To them (and to me, when I lived there), that was cold.  To me, coming from Blacksburg, VA, where we joke that you truly haven't seen cold until you walk across the windy Drillfield at that time of year and have snot freeze to your face, it was summer.

EDIT: Oh hai thurr tangents!  Holy crap...

This is truly worthy of the "...and then I found five dollars" ending...

Kyle Rodgers

Oh hai thurr tangents!  Holy crap...

******* you write a lot to paint your picture! 

Just be glad they didn't go with Airbus or the pilots wouldn't have to do anything to fly them.  With that said, if they DID go with Airbus, one of their pilots most likely wouldn't have landed nose first on the threshold.  

Kidding aside, I'm sure a Boeing lands softer nose first than a Scarebus does.  

EDIT:  Just noticed that AVSIM bleeps out J e s u s.  Don't wanna go upsetting the religi-*****

******* you write a lot to paint your picture!

haha - yeah, sorry about that.  Somewhat of a bad habit.

Kyle Rodgers

ooooooooo not sure you should have gone there...  :lol:

Can they fit a 777 in a kitchen? 

Nothing he said was questionable, if anything your post is the only questionable one here.

Nothing he said was questionable, if anything your post is the only questionable one here.

Do you have a problem with the humour involved due to the stereotypes imprinted on the human race, or are you just looking at the anti-feminism?   Because I definitely wasn't questioning his post, and I'm sure everybody knows that.  

Hmmm, the issue is corruption not gender.  Plenty of Female 777 & A330 Captains flying for Qatar & Gulf Air out here.

I can take a joke, however we should be a little careful on these forums.

oops, looks like we posted at the same time Craig, no worries!

Rob Prest

Oh my there are plenty of females flying over here too!  That was not the point.  Simple joke!  You do realize that you said "Female" as if it had something to do with the incident, right?  Anyway it's a human stereotype that is never going to be broken so why not joke?  I'm sure the few female pilots on this forum would have had a laugh.  If anything, talking about it will move the masses towards accepting all genders in the cockpit.  Male, female and cross-gender.  

Carry on everyone.  If you don't have a sense of humour then just...be.  

And yes!  Be more careful on the forums, for the police will come and carry you away for such actions...  :lol:

We make fun of trolls.  We make fun of N00bs.  Nobody bats an eye... 

something to think about.  

Oh my there are plenty of females flying over here too!  That was not the point.  Simple joke.  Human stereotype that is never going to be broken so why not poke some fun.  I'm sure the few female pilots on this forum would have had a laugh.  

Carry on everyone.  If you don't have a sense of humour then just...be.  

And yes!  Be more careful on the forums, for the police will come and carry you away for such actions...  :lol:

We make fun of trolls.  We make fun of N00bs.  Nobody bats an eye... 

something to think about.  

Actually I wasn't passing judgement on whether you should have posted it or not. It was your "ooooh not sure you should have gone there" that I was pointing out. To me that's questioning whether what Flex said was innappropriate or not, which it wasn't. You then responded with something which actually could be considered innapropriate.

I was merely pointing out the accidental hyposcrisy.

Craig I understood your first post, no big deal mate.   It's the kind of joke you would hear when talking with your mates. On a forum things can easily be taken the wrong way. 

Rob Prest

Actually I wasn't passing judgement on whether you should have posted it or not. It was your "ooooh not sure you should have gone there" that I was pointing out. To me that's questioning whether what Flex said was innappropriate or not, which it wasn't. You then responded with something which actually could be considered innapropriate.

I was merely pointing out the accidental hyposcrisy.

No it wasn't accidental.  It was part of the humour.  You spelled it wrong by the way.

Listen, if you don't get it, then that's fine.  We're both OK if we don't see it the same way, so I'm happy.  

Craig I understood your first post, no big deal mate.  

I know!  Cheers!  :canada-flag: