Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Microsoft releases info about new Windows 8.1 update

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/windowsexperience/archive/2014/04/02/windows-8-1-update-important-refinements-to-the-windows-experience.aspx

And best of all...

customer satisfaction for a device running Windows 8 with touch is actually higher than it was for a PC running Windows 7 without touch.

Shut up, Microsoft.

Behind schedule for April Fool's day?

DJ

It's a step in the right direction, and now there's word that a start menu is coming back later this year.

Now about those joystick disconnects...

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I can actually believe this. Having used tablets in ios, android and windows, I find windows possibly edges out on top. Not enough for me to dump android though :-)

Louise

London, UK

More common since features that should have been in the original release.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

As a Windows 8 user, these look to be some very nice changes. Though I've actually grown to liking the start menu coming up upon booting Windows (I launch programs I need from there before doing anything else anyway), having the option to launch to the desktop is definitely a nice feature to have and something I'm sure others will like.

I'm sure "customer satisfaction for a device running Windows 8 with touch is actually higher than it was for a PC running Windows 7 without touch." is not necessarily true, but having used 8 from the desktop, I can imagine it's at least decent for tablet use.

Brandon Filer

Really, the tiles are No Big Thing once you get used to them; just the Start Menu writ large, and easy to go past during startup as long as one of your tiles is your Desktop, which is very easy to set up.

Not defending the design, but far too much hoopla's been made of it.

Really, the tiles are No Big Thing once you get used to them; just the Start Menu writ large, and easy to go past during startup as long as one of your tiles is your Desktop, which is very easy to set up.

Not defending the design, but far too much hoopla's been made of it.

It is kind of like painting my bathroom pink....and telling me to get over it. Truth is I would rather not look at it. 

When you buy expensive products you demand a sleekness in the layout and design of it, and if it doesn't deliver on that then it is crap.

For a Computer I will choose an awesome case, motherboard, video card, and all the components and build an amazing looking machine, it is my expectation that when you turn it on it will continue to look and function amazing as well.

So the argument that it is not so bad means it really is crap, and people are just learning to live with crap. Even Microsoft knows it is crap.

Just because crap dries up and doesn't smell any more, doesn't mean it is not crap any more....Crap will always be crap.  :lol:

• Upvote 4

Matthew Kane

Most everything is crap these days, though, there's the real problem. Why should MS Windows be any different? 8D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is kind of like painting my bathroom pink....and telling me to get over it. Truth is I would rather not look at it. 

When you buy expensive products you demand a sleekness in the layout and design of it, and if it doesn't deliver on that then it is crap.

For a Computer I will choose an awesome case, motherboard, video card, and all the components and build an amazing looking machine, it is my expectation that when you turn it on it will continue to look and function amazing as well.

So the argument that it is not so bad means it really is crap, and people are just learning to live with crap. Even Microsoft knows it is crap.

Just because crap dries up and doesn't smell any more, doesn't mean it is not crap any more....Crap will always be crap.  :lol:

this post made me go to the "little boys" room to crap, because crap will always be crap :lol:

" ...our new engineering culture in the Operating Systems Group now that we’re in this mobile-first, cloud-first world."

Setting the poor engineering department to be blamed when the time comes to admit that all had been a big mistake. Oh well, hit the wall.

If ain't broken, do not fix it.

Cheers,

They added a start menu, though. I guess that's good, except for the fact that even with a start menu you still have to deal with the stupid tiles on there.

Well, I'd imagine that just like the current start screen, the future one will allow you to customize those "stupid" tiles and remove the ones you don't use/need. I don't like the DEFAULT setup for the current Windows 8 start screen...I don't think anyone does, but once you unpin everything that you'd never use, it's quite personal.

win8_startmenu.png

Brandon Filer

Well, I'd imagine that just like the current start screen, the future one will allow you to customize those "stupid" tiles and remove the ones you don't use/need. I don't like the DEFAULT setup for the current Windows 8 start screen...I don't think anyone does, but once you unpin everything that you'd never use, it's quite personal.

Yes, but why are they shown in the menu? It doesn't make any sense. It's there for... what? The full screen idea is so bad that even MS had to make a "Skype for desktop" separate program.

Yes, but why are they shown in the menu? It doesn't make any sense. It's there for... what? The full screen idea is so bad that even MS had to make a "Skype for desktop" separate program.

Why are they shown? I don't know, maybe to show that there is an option to pin apps there.

Skype originally started as a desktop program. "Skype for Windows 8" was developed for people with tablets running 8. I would imagine that the naming convention is a way of differentiating the desktop version from the tablet version, not showing that the full screen idea is "so bad."

Disclaimer: I am not a huge Microsoft fan, nor do I "love" Windows 8. I am simply trying to show that 8 is not nearly as bad as people seem to think.

Brandon Filer