Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Microsoft releases info about new Windows 8.1 update

As a Windows 8 user, these look to be some very nice changes. Though I've actually grown to liking the start menu coming up upon booting Windows (I launch programs I need from there before doing anything else anyway), having the option to launch to the desktop is definitely a nice feature to have and something I'm sure others will like.

I'm sure "customer satisfaction for a device running Windows 8 with touch is actually higher than it was for a PC running Windows 7 without touch." is not necessarily true, but having used 8 from the desktop, I can imagine it's at least decent for tablet use.

That option has been available for quite some time already, when 8.1 was released. Just boot straight into desktop if you so prefer.

It is kind of like painting my bathroom pink....and telling me to get over it. Truth is I would rather not look at it. 

When you buy expensive products you demand a sleekness in the layout and design of it, and if it doesn't deliver on that then it is crap.

For a Computer I will choose an awesome case, motherboard, video card, and all the components and build an amazing looking machine, it is my expectation that when you turn it on it will continue to look and function amazing as well.

So the argument that it is not so bad means it really is crap, and people are just learning to live with crap. Even Microsoft knows it is crap.

Just because crap dries up and doesn't smell any more, doesn't mean it is not crap any more....Crap will always be crap.  :lol:

Just like some people will enjoy your bathroom pink, so will there be people enjoying the Modern UI. I happen to be one of them. It's a matter of personal preference, and the great thing is that you don't have to spend any time whatsoever in the Modern UI part of Windows 8.1 if you don't want to... All that requires is checking some boxes and perhaps spend 30 seconds downloading and installing a start menu replacement. If you manage to pull through that oh so arduous task, you'll basically have a much faster, more stable, much improved Windows 7.

Yes, but why are they shown in the menu? It doesn't make any sense. It's there for... what? The full screen idea is so bad that even MS had to make a "Skype for desktop" separate program.

Great work pulling that 'fact' out of your *** ;). Not suprising with your username though.

------------------------------------------------------------------

It always amuses me how many people on here whine about the start menu, especially in such a tweaking and modding centered community. People spend hours editing .air files, panel configs, joystick/yoke setups, freeware planes, fsx.cfg's etc etc etc... But they can't be bothered to download a simple freeware piece of software to get their ancient folding start menu back if they so desire....

And no, I'm not a Windows ######. I actually use OSX, Linux and Windows. Hell, I even run Ubuntu on my Surface Pro from time to time.

Great work pulling that 'fact' out of your *** ;). Not suprising with your username though.

When did I say it was a fact?

It always amuses me how many people on here whine about the start menu, especially in such a tweaking and modding centered community. People spend hours editing .air files, panel configs, joystick/yoke setups, freeware planes, fsx.cfg's etc etc etc... But they can't be bothered to download a simple freeware piece of software to get their ancient folding start menu back if they so desire....

And no, I'm not a Windows ######. I actually use OSX, Linux and Windows. Hell, I even run Ubuntu on my Surface Pro from time to time.

It's not that I can't do it. It's the fact that I have to do it at all. Edited by linux731

I actually agree with this part.  You'd think FSX only simmers would have no problem with Windows 8 and actually love it.  Another acceptance of a flawed piece of software from Microsoft should garner mods, tweaks, excuses as to 'that's the best Microsoft could do for the functionality being offered', and over all acceptance do to the fact it's the 'current' most advanced OS reasoning.  A plus in Windows 8's favor is it's a good running platform out the box, unlike other highly used software I dare not mention too much here.  W8 runs out the box very well and on a touch screen is quite nice (I wonder can you use touch in FSX's VCs').   All one has to do is tweak the look and functionality of Windows 8 and move on.  Many FSX users have gotten FSX to run under 8 so I see no reason anyone who's used to tweaking/overclocking CPU's among other things should have an issue modifying W8 to their liking.  Again a very good point, it's those of us who expect much more from a multi-million dollar company with a large QA/development department take issue.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

It's not that I can't do it. It's the fact that I have to do it at all.

I'm wondering how you survive in Linux then, as even the most user-friendly distro's require people to add their own repositories for certain applications they want to download from a central 'store/market'. You have to do a lot more work in Linux than basically any other OS to get things working smoothly.

Windows 8 = Improved, better performing, more stable Windows 7 + Modern UI added for touch convenience and casual users who just need simple things like news, weather, mail etc. They've got everything they need in one single glance at the Start Menu.

Power users who don't need it/don't like it..... it's seriously just one check in a settings box and if you're quick, just 15-20 seconds to install your favorite ancient Start Menu and then you're back to your old-skool, legacy Windows workflow experience as it has been since 95... How is that such a disaster? :)

But I will leave it at that. In my opinion, anyone who is still complaining about the Start Menu has not given Windows 8/8.1 a fair trial run and they have not made any effort whatsoever to set it up to their liking. In my experience this is either because they don't want to, as they like their current XP/Vista/W7 setup, or they just have a serious anti-Microsoft attitude. Again, to each his own.

But I will leave it at that. In my opinion, anyone who is still complaining about the Start Menu has not given Windows 8/8.1 a fair trial run and they have not made any effort whatsoever to set it up to their liking. In my experience this is either because they don't want to, as they like their current XP/Vista/W7 setup, or they just have a serious anti-Microsoft attitude. Again, to each his own.

You make a good point here but understand FSX/FS9 have various issues with 8 (at least that's whats reported).  I don't have 8 but for instance what I keep hearing about is joystick issues.  That aside FSX/FS9 are old applications and will not run on the newer stuff correctly as they did with the old.  I see this with Windows 7 where Reality XP's 16bit avionics don't work in 7 let alone 8.  These are valid issues.  If you take 8 for what it is you are perfectly correct.  That's why it doesn't make since to take issue with P3D or X-Plane.  We should look to see these platforms improved and expanded upon because OS's tomorrow will not run FSX/FS9 but otherwise are great utilities to use.  With Bill Gates back who's to say how Windows 9 will look and function.  Having something as good as W7 is today would be a pain if our main apps didn't work because of their age.   

FS2020 

With Bill Gates back

I've seen this in a few of your postings, you are aware that he's only got some kind of unofficial adviser position right?  Do you think he didn't advise bonkers Balmer?

There seems to be a (false) belief within FS circles, in fact, lets say nerd circles that Bill will come and fix everything; personally i doubt any thing will change, MS are wanting to push there horrid touch screen interface because it works on phones and tablets, they see that's were the future (hence money) is.  All you will see from MS is further on the go integration on the main platforms, Xbox, phones and tablets, lots more cloud services; if they throw us any kind of bone it'll be from the business side; businesses slow to upgrade, or downgrade (depending on how you see this) to remote services VDI, TS etc...

Ian R Tyldesley

I'm wondering how you survive in Linux then

Who said I use Linux? I've had it for dual boot a while, but not anymore.

I was in the beta back when the logo was a fish... I hated it there, and now.

I've seen this in a few of your postings, you are aware that he's only got some kind of unofficial adviser position right?  Do you think he didn't advise bonkers Balmer?

There seems to be a (false) belief within FS circles, in fact, lets say nerd circles that Bill will come and fix everything; personally i doubt any thing will change, MS are wanting to push there horrid touch screen interface because it works on phones and tablets, they see that's were the future (hence money) is.  All you will see from MS is further on the go integration on the main platforms, Xbox, phones and tablets, lots more cloud services; if they throw us any kind of bone it'll be from the business side; businesses slow to upgrade, or downgrade (depending on how you see this) to remote services VDI, TS etc...

Bill Gates is the head of technology at Microsoft now.  Go check it out.  It's the position he had back in 2006 before he became chairman.  Concerning Ballmer Bill didn't care for him.  There are many sites that confirm this but for the sake of a quick read go read Ballmer's Wiki.  With Windows 8 doing so badly Ballmer was asked to let go and you can best believe he had an early removal once the new CEO was appointed last month.  Everyone from Bill, to Dell, to HP was calling for Ballmers head in the end.  It's been reported these two didn't talk...  They were friends back in the 90's but when Ballmer became CEO he became a Pre-Madonna....

FS2020 

Bill Gates is the head of technology at Microsoft now.

Where did you read that?  All the information i have indicates he is a technical adviser to the CEO no official position.

Bill suggested Ballmer, you can say that it didn't work out; i agree with you, but MS was already on a downward spiral.  Bill had missed the importance of the internet, missed the growth in services, missed the smart phone revolution, missed the tablet market etc...  WIndows 7 was a great product, no doubt; but it was so good because it was an evolution of the same O/S that had been around (GUI wise) since Windows 95 and engine wise since NT4.0.  MS have never really innovated, they have improved existing innovations.

Look at the office products Dillon, MS have started to move into the cloud, hence Office 2013 and the crippled iPad applications without the cloud interface.

Look at Windows 8, its designed for a touch screen, it works (sort of) on a mouse and keyboard, but it clearly isn't designed for it.

The closure of games for windows...ok it was terrible anyway, but its another move away from the PC environment.

Believe me Dillon nothing will change, MS is a corporate entity, they will focus on growth areas and try to reclaim the market they have lost.  I personally believe that they peaked a long time ago.

Ian R Tyldesley

Where did you read that?  

Quick Google search, yes it's an advisory role but come on he didn't step down from chair to a more eyes/hands on process for nothing:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/satya-nadella-to-head-microsoft-bill-gates-leaves-chair-role/

The failures you mentioned above was under Ballmer's reign.  It took so long for the board to move on Ballmer because he's been there for so long before the CEO position and he had power.  Windows 8 was the straw that broke the camel's back because his decisions were not only affect MS but all the businesses around MS like Dell and HP.  Everyone was going down with his ship and being one of the richest people in the world couldn't save him anymore.  It was either he goes or the whole company goes.  Now things have to get built back up.

FS2020 

Quick Google search, yes it's an advisory role but come on he didn't step down from chair to a more eyes/hands on process for nothing:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/satya-nadella-to-head-microsoft-bill-gates-leaves-chair-role/

The failures you mentioned above was under Ballmer's reign.  It took so long for the board to move on Ballmer because he's been there for so long before the CEO position and he had power.  Windows 8 was the straw that broke the camel's back because his decisions were not only affect MS but all the businesses around MS like Dell and HP.  Everyone was going down with his ship and being one of the richest people in the world couldn't save him anymore.  It was either he goes or the whole company goes.  Now things have to get built back up.

Dillon, that article clearly states that he is a technical advisor, exactly what i wrote.

No the failures started under Bill who left as CEO in 2000, they were compounded under Barmy*.  It's widely acknowledged that Bill didn't see the Internet as important, they completely missed the personal device market, the first ipod was released in 2001, the first 'Zune' arrived in 2006, as it happens under Barmy.  Given corporate planning and development, the ipod was clearly under development when BG was running MS, Zune was a response to this developed under Barmy, again playing catch-up.

Lets look at the Windows 9x release dates:

Windows 95 1995 under BG

Windows 98 1998 under BG

Windows ME 2000 under BG

98 was nothing special, ME was close to terrible. 

Windows NT release dates:

WIndows NT 4 1996 under BG

Windows 2000 200 under BG

Neither of these were actually bad, but both were focused on business markets

Everything after this including both the seminal XP and Windows 7 releases were under Barmy as CEO.

Now i am not arguing that Barmy was great, he is clearly not, but the rot set in early, there was no innovation really since WIndows 95.

Ian R Tyldesley

It's not that I can't do it. It's the fact that I have to do it at all.

Like how you have to disable UAC in Windows 7 for anything to work? Or have to install a better antivirus program?

Like how you have to disable UAC in Windows 7 for anything to work? Or have to install a better antivirus program?

I do not know where you got that from but it is absolutely wrong. I haven't disabled anything in my Win7 x64 and everything is working including FSX.

Cheers,

I do not know where you got that from but it is absolutely wrong. I haven't disabled anything in my Win7 x64 and everything is working including FSX.

Cheers,

Depends on how it's configured, if you're running an Administrator user generally UAC is irritating rather than a show stopper.  Generally the MS AV product is good enough, saying that i did manage to get that horrid web screen lock virus, took malwarebytes to clear it.

• Upvote 1

Ian R Tyldesley