Sign in to follow this  
airlinerpilot

Fsx framerates drop dramatically when AI traffic is installed?

Hey there.

I have always been a solid fs2004 user but as i have a decent PC i decided to give FSX a try. After tweaking around with the default settings, installing service packs and using an additional booster program. I was able to get FSX running a smooth 60fps in all areas of the game. I installed the project airbus A380 and didn't have any loss of frame rate at all. I was excited to begin installing add-on's to get going on a flight. 

Sadly, after i installed world of ai my frame rates dropped. I am not used to playing a flight simulator below 60fps and i am disappointed as i have a good spec PC. Is there any fix to this at all? The exact same traffic pack goes ultra smooth on high settings in FS2004 so why it makes such a huge impact on fsx is strange. I dont really want to upgrade my PC if it's not going to make much of a difference. Fsx is an old game and i do not understand why a modern PC is struggling with it. Here are my PC specs. 

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - Fresh install 

Nvidia GTX 560ti 1GB Gddr5 ram 

Intel i7 2600k overclocked to 4.3ghz

16GB Corsair vengeance ram

250GB Corsair SSD 

60GB corsaie SSD 

z68xp-ud3p gigabyte motherboard

Hey there.

I have always been a solid fs2004 user but as i have a decent PC i decided to give FSX a try. After tweaking around with the default settings, installing service packs and using an additional booster program. I was able to get FSX running a smooth 60fps in all areas of the game. I installed the project airbus A380 and didn't have any loss of frame rate at all. I was excited to begin installing add-on's to get going on a flight. 

Sadly, after i installed world of ai my frame rates dropped. I am not used to playing a flight simulator below 60fps and i am disappointed as i have a good spec PC. Is there any fix to this at all? The exact same traffic pack goes ultra smooth on high settings in FS2004 so why it makes such a huge impact on fsx is strange. I dont really want to upgrade my PC if it's not going to make much of a difference. Fsx is an old game and i do not understand why a modern PC is struggling with it. Here are my PC specs. 

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - Fresh install 

Nvidia GTX 560ti 1GB Gddr5 ram 

Intel i7 2600k overclocked to 4.3ghz

16GB Corsair vengeance ram

250GB Corsair SSD 

60GB corsaie SSD 

z68xp-ud3p gigabyte motherboard

Frame rates are not the issue with FSX, it is "How smooth does it run?" As said before in this forum, if you chase frame rates you won't be happy. 60 fps is not necessary for FSX, most lock there frame rates at 30 fps. It is not unheard of to get smooth flights and animation at 21-24 fps. So...how smooth does your sim run?

Without traffic there is not one single stutter. Everything is responsive and pleasant to watch. If i set my fps to anything but 60 then there will be terrible lag making the simulator unusable. Am i setting my standards too high for Fsx? I am completely happy with how FS9 runs on my system and i never see a single stutter or bit of lag.

Without traffic there is not one single stutter. Everything is responsive and pleasant to watch. If i set my fps to anything but 60 then there will be terrible lag making the simulator unusable. Am i setting my standards too high for Fsx? I am completely happy with how FS9 runs on my system and i never see a single stutter or bit of lag.

Do not give up on FSX. I was where you are now, I thought I would never leave FS9. There are some great guides out there, however you must not mix them up. First back everything up. Then stick with one guide. Can you post your FSX.cfg? Lets start there first.

Unfortunately with FSX you sometimes have to strike a balance which usually means lowering AI density and scenery complexity and graphics settings.

Lowering traffic to 75% or so still allows for plenty of action at airports but also frees up some resources.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

I tried limiting the FPS to 30 and was actually quite shocked that it decreased FPS for me for some reason. Once I went back to unlimited I never saw the low FPS that I saw when I had it limited to 30. Not sure why limiting the FPS to 30 would cause a big FPS drop but for me it did. Now I am not getting 60 FPS that is for sure but I consistently get 35-40 FPS in and around busy airports. Maybe it drops to 27 at like KDFW and KJFK but no lower than that.