Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm Wright

Using David Clark headset on computer... is this possible

I hope this is the right forum for this.

I have a David Clark headset that I used when I was flying in the real world.  After I could no longer afford to rent an aircraft I still kept all my equipment ..just in case!

However now I suspect that FSX is going to the be only way I will get any sort of flying experience. I would like to use my David Clark headset. I would need to get some converter plugs as the DC headset uses big ones and the computer small plugs. However does anyone who knows about these things know if this will work or will it either not work or damage the sound card.

Many Thanks

Malcolm Wright

You can buy this kind of adapter.

0050090010_535.jpg

Contrary to popular belief, you most probably cannot damage your equipment.

Great headset.  I gave mine to my nephew when I transitioned from RW to virtual flying.

Yes that would probably work but there might be an impedance mismatch.  The David Clarks come in several versions; military, GA, and helo.  It can't hurt to try it.  You'd only be out a couple of bucks for the adapter cable.

You really need a USB headset sorry

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

You really need a USB headset sorry

Funny, I never owned one, and still get great sound ...

No ones saying you don't get good sound, however with a USB headset can be registered as their own sound device, then you can output sound to your speakers. That's all. It's preferable for USB if you search around. Also FS2 crew and other programs recommend USB headset, each to their own.

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

However does anyone who knows about these things know if this will work

Excellent "How To" on Flightsim.com:

How To...Adapt Aviation Headsets To Computers

On the "buy" (instead of build) side... I have previously thought about using something like this: PC Flight Simulator Headset Adapter

will it either not work or damage the sound card.

Read "The Issues" section of that How-To...

I have a USB headset adapter with my real world headdset. The USB adapter is the way to go so you can isolate your comms (in and output) to the headset and leave everything else in your speakers.

I can also plug my portable intercom into it and others can listen in to-- this also provides useful sidetone.

Use with Vatsim with no problem.

I have a USB headset adapter with my real world headdset. The USB adapter is the way to go so you can isolate your comms (in and output) to the headset and leave everything else in your speakers.

I can also plug my portable intercom into it and others can listen in to-- this also provides useful sidetone.

Use with Vatsim with no problem.

How did you do that?

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

http://www.flightsounds.com/flightsoundx --> for the adapter-- there are certainly others out there.

It shows up as it's own audio device.  Really, that's all you need, and you can plug your aviation headset right into it.  But I also put my portable intercom in line for two reasons:

1.  I like the sidetone (hearing yourself talk)-- it really improves your communications

and 2.  Other headsets can be plugged in and share the intercom if I choose to.

www.sportys.com

They sell an adaptor that correctly and safely connects your aviation headset to your computer.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Right, make sure you use an adapter of some kind that is designed to do this (such as the flightsounds or the sporty's)-- if you try to plug directly into your sound card, the impedance levels are very different and something very well could break.